Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

2012 F150 HID Retrofit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 2012 F150 HID Retrofit Questions

Just took the headlights apart and getting ready to paint the buckets. Do I need to sand the chrome prior to painting or can I use an adhesion promoter and go to town. I am using krylon fusion for plastics-satin black if that matters.

Is the orange reflector really necessary? I would like to black it out completely but I don't know if that's legal?

How involved is it to paint the shutter on the kit? I have seen some people do various colors that show through the lens when the lights are off and I would like to paint them white if its not too complicated. I am getting the morimoto mini stage 3 lights.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

You could strip the chrome and paint the plastic under that if you want. Seems better to me since chrome could eventually peel off.
The side marker is required, so I wouldn't black it out completely. Maybe just a little tint would look good.
Painting the cutoff shield is very simple and you'll be able to see how to get to it once you get the kit.
Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
The Machine (10-28-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 05:38 PM

Ok, I've got everything cut/painted and ready for install tonight and have been going over all the install videos I can find and I am left with two questions.

1. There was this random cord in the box with all the other components and I am not sure what this is for, extra?

2. Where do I connect the wires for the halo's? I haven't found anything from trs that really answers that question, am I missing something obvious?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 PM

1. I've built a couple of sets so far and this cord/connector was never needed. Maybe for certain vehicles it is, but you can just ignore it.

2. It depends on when you would like the halos to come on. You could splice the wires into the side marker wires which is what most people do, you could splice them into the turn signal if you want them to flash while turning (I wouldn't recommend this), or you could splice them into the headlight wires if you only want them on only when the headlights are on.

On a personal set of retrofits I'm making, I'm going to try running halos off of the accessory fuse. That way they're on anytime the truck is on without needing additional lights on as well.
The following users liked this post:
The Machine (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by sdatrlp23
2. It depends on when you would like the halos to come on. You could splice the wires into the side marker wires which is what most people do, you could splice them into the turn signal if you want them to flash while turning (I wouldn't recommend this), or you could splice them into the headlight wires if you only want them on only when the headlights are on..
Oh yeah, that would have been important information. I would like to run them into my parking lights which I can figure out, wasnt sure if that was part of the relay or not. Thanks for the quick response!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Machine

Oh yeah, that would have been important information. I would like to run them into my parking lights which I can figure out, wasnt sure if that was part of the relay or not. Thanks for the quick response!
No problem! Post up some pictures once you're done!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 PM

No problem! Post up some pictures once you're done!
Does this look right? I think the old bulb surround sealed this hole in the rubber grommet, what seals it now? What is that rubber thing on the cords, just to hold the wires?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 PM

Does this look right? I think the old bulb surround sealed this hole in the rubber grommet, what seals it now? What is that rubber thing on the cords, just to hold the wires?
That's the most it'll seal it if you leave it as is. What you can do if you want is put some silicone around any open area left to close it up.
The rubber on the bulbs is just to keep them together as you mentioned.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:27 PM

That's the most it'll seal it if you leave it as is. What you can do if you want is put some silicone around any open area left to close it up.
The rubber on the bulbs is just to keep them together as you mentioned.
hmmn, seems odd, but if you say so. Just want to make sure I am doing this allright, little disapointed with the lack of instructions from trs on some of this stuff.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 PM

hmmn, seems odd, but if you say so. Just want to make sure I am doing this allright, little disapointed with the lack of instructions from trs on some of this stuff.
Are you able to push the rubber grommet in any further to seal up any open space you see? What I had to do was use a screwdriver or equivalent to push it down and around the components.

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 HID Retrofit Questions