Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

2011 OEM Head Lamp Seperation

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 11:51 PM
2011 F150 Lariat EcoBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2011 OEM Head Lamp Seperation

So I added 55W HID a couple years ago, now I am adding mini projectors in the 2011 OEM head lamps. I am looking for tips on the separation process for my model and head lamps. I see clips that seem to hold the clear lens and there are screws but I can't see the heads. I understand the baking at 220 for 15-20 and then separate. I am looking for any tips beyond that, like after I start to separate will I later expose the heads to the screws I can see going into the clear lens from the back etc.?

Any tips or specifics would be great!

Thanks Dave
Old 12-25-2013, 07:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I just split mine last weekend. I baked at 245F for about 21 minutes. The first thing I did was bend the clips so they don't impede the splitting of the lens from the body. Then I just stated prying with a flat screwdriver, working at the bottom corner. Once you get it started it's pretty easy. I re-heated mine a couple times for about 5 min, just to keep things soft. Don't go easy on them or you will be at it for hours! It takes some man-handling to get them apart!

Once the lens is off, you will see the screws you are talking about. They hold the "bezel" into the lens. To separate the bucket from the body there are two screws (beside each ball joint). One of them I drilled a hole through the body to get at, as I don't see how else these would come apart. Be careful with the adjuster (used to aim the light), as it is attached to the bucket as well. Be patient, it will come.

I used a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the old seal from the body. It took maybe an hour per side.

Good luck!!
Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 PM

Nevint
Thanks for the post. I did get the left one about 55 percent split, starting at the blinker and working my way around. Did a temp of 220-235 it for 15-20 minutes. Once it started to come apart I was concerned about the divots and marring to the black backing from prying. The large area around the head lamp wasn't giving way and I didn't want to further damage the OEM lamp so I stopped. I heated and pulled it back together enough to where I could reinstall it without the mini projectors.

I think I could do this on a normal size light but the F150 are the size of carry-on luggage. So I am going to replace the left with a grade A replacement from a local wrecking yard and find a professional to install my 55 mini projectors. Those of you who have done it and well I give you props. I can build and do anything, except split the huge F150 projectors. Looked at aftermarket projectors but they are all about the looks and not about providing the best possible lighting for safety…
Old 12-27-2013, 01:51 AM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow, you were so close!! The top edge of the light was the hardest for me. That's where the reheating came in to play. Eventually they came apart. My housings got a little beat up in the process, from prying with the screwdrivers, but I feel it's nothing I can't repair with a heat gun. The butyl will seal them up just fine I'm sure.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Buy the depo oem style headlights on ebay. They're so much easier to work with.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by eric70634
Buy the depo oem style headlights on ebay. They're so much easier to work with.
I did, they are amazing and look great

Quick Reply: 2011 OEM Head Lamp Seperation