Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, tow limit and payload can change, but GVWR and GCWR cannot

Old 05-23-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Yes, tow limit and payload can change, but GVWR and GCWR cannot

Hi All,

I thought that I would start a thread to highlight an issue I have with terminology. "Payload" and "towing limit" are absolutely variables since they are determined by the curb weight of the truck. We should be precise with our usage of terminology, and state that it is the GVWR and GCWR that are fixed from the factory. Some examples:

My truck had a payload of 1963 on the doorjam, but I've bolted many permanent items on and its now about 1,853. So payload varies depending on the current curb weight of the truck. The thing that is constant though is my GVWR.

Exact same logic applies to "tow rating." My truck has tow rating of 9000 from the factory. If I bolt 1k lbs of permanent add-ons to my truck afterwards, my tow rating is 8k lbs. The thing that is constant though is my GCWR.

I think that many confusions would go away if instead of focusing on "payload" and "tow rating" we focused on GVWR and GCWR.

Edit (1) to say that I do agree that GCWR is a function of which factory F150 you buy.

Last edited by kehyler; 05-23-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:22 PM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by kehyler
Hi All,

I thought that I would start a thread to highlight an issue I have with terminology. "Payload" and "towing limit" are absolutely variables since they are determined by the curb weight of the truck. We should be precise with our usage of terminology, and state that it is the GVWR and GCWR that are fixed from the factory. Some examples:

My truck had a payload of 1963 on the doorjam, but I've bolted many permanent items on and its now about 1,853. So payload varies depending on the current curb weight of the truck. The thing that is constant though is my GVWR.

Exact same logic applies to "tow rating." My truck has tow rating of 9000 from the factory. If I bolt 1k lbs of permanent add-ons to my truck afterwards, my tow rating is 8k lbs. The thing that is constant though is my GCWR.

I think that many confusions would go away if instead of focusing on "payload" and "tow rating" we focused on GVWR and GCWR.

Ah but you are slightly mistaken. The GCWR can change if you change the gearing of the truck. The GCWR is tied to WB, Gears, Engine and towing equipment. For example the max GCWR for all 5.0L 3.55 geared SC 4x4 trucks is the same. The are required to have certain equipment to utilize the max GCWR for the configuration. Now if you change the gears(would suggest going through dealer for warranty sake only) to 3.73 then you get that max GCWR, which again you need certain equipment to utilize underwarranty, but other than needing required certain equipment items you would be good to go. GCWR is not a truck specific rating like GVWR, or axle ratings, but is configuration dependent.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.0GN tow
Ah but you are slightly mistaken. The GCWR can change if you change the gearing of the truck. The GCWR is tied to WB, Gears, Engine and towing equipment. For example the max GCWR for all 5.0L 3.55 geared SC 4x4 trucks is the same. The are required to have certain equipment to utilize the max GCWR for the configuration. Now if you change the gears(would suggest going through dealer for warranty sake only) to 3.73 then you get that max GCWR, which again you need certain equipment to utilize underwarranty, but other than needing required certain equipment items you would be good to go. GCWR is not a truck specific rating like GVWR, or axle ratings, but is configuration dependent.
Agree. GCWR changes based on equipment. Nothing says it has to be original factory install. If that were the case then it would be on the sticker.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 5.0GN tow
For the moment, I disagree. I would be very surprised if Ford has actually recertified F150s to a higher GCWR contingent upon a gear swap. (This is a separate question as to whether or not the truck would pass such a recertification test after the gear swap.)
Old 05-23-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by kehyler
For the moment, I disagree. I would be very surprised if Ford has actually recertified F150s to a higher GCWR contingent upon a gear swap. (This is a separate question as to whether or not the truck would pass such a recertification test after the gear swap.)
There is no certification on GCWR other than saying a 5.0(or whatever engine picked) with this Gear set and this WB and Cab configuration can be this max GCWR, all trim levels even have the same max GCWR but can tow varying weight based on GVW of the truck. I verified this last in 2017 when I bought my SD. Both a dealer and factory rep at Quarrer Horse Congress verified for me.

I initially looked at a 16 SRW 350 that had 3.31gears and could be upgraded to 3.55s or 3.73s if I recall correctly. I questioned if it would then have the higher GCWR and was told yes and warranty coverage would remain intact if towing to higher GCWR.

The way it was explained to me was the configuration of the truck(gears, engine,wb and cab) dictate the GCWR, the GVW of the truck and it's hard ratings(AWR, and GVWR) then dictate actual maximum trailer weight not to exceed GCWR. That is how they rate them for SAE tests, it's the lightest version with a given configuration so as to set the maximum for a given configuration, from which you work backwards given the weight of your particular truck.

Last edited by 5.0GN tow; 05-23-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

But you see, it always boils down to available payload, IE the GVWR minus the current travel weight (with driver, passenger full tank fuel, etc.) Curb weight is basically the truck without people or luggage in it, so that term shouldn't be used.

No matter how one dresses it up, it comes down to hitting a scale fully loaded and see what is left. That will determine how much trailer you can tow, and usually will be the limit long before GCWR is found. Payload is Key to it all.
The following 4 users liked this post by acdii:
13XLTEco (05-26-2019), blkZ28spt (05-26-2019), Probity (05-25-2019), Ricktwuhk (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by acdii
But you see, it always boils down to available payload, IE the GVWR minus the current travel weight (with driver, passenger full tank fuel, etc.) Curb weight is basically the truck without people or luggage in it, so that term shouldn't be used.

No matter how one dresses it up, it comes down to hitting a scale fully loaded and see what is left. That will determine how much trailer you can tow, and usually will be the limit long before GCWR is found. Payload is Key to it all.
Often true, but not always. Look at my signature for one.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:56 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Only for those Unimicorns like yours! LOL

Mine is rated at 17,900 GCWR, but I would never see it, would run out of payload, unless I get a big boat, which wont happen, costs hella more than the RV ever would.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by acdii

Correct and exactly what I was getting at. The GCWR is a general number for a given engine, WB, Cab, and gear set configuration. Within the generalized max, each trucks maximum trailer weight will vary based on GVWR, added equipment and even number of people on board. The GCWR is strictly based on the configuration of the truck and can change based on changing gears within the options Ford offers from the factory.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

yep, GCWR is my limit as well. I hit that or the hitch rating long before GVWR

Edit: I also don't have the trailer brake controller, so that further limits most trailers that I can tow.

Last edited by SixShooter14; 05-25-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yes, tow limit and payload can change, but GVWR and GCWR cannot