Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does figuring out trailer wiring have to be so difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Why does figuring out trailer wiring have to be so difficult?

Ok, here is my issue, and I have not been able to find a proper answer on here.

I purchased a 2012 F-150 XLT ecoboost supercrew with 5.5 box and 4x4 at the end of September. Part of the deal was to have the dealer install a tow package. Apparently, to them, that meant only installing the hitch, no 7 pin connector or tranny cooler.

Anyways, I am now trying to get it all wired up to pull my trailer. So I have an aftermarket Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller, and I think I can get a 3036-p pigtail for it to direct wire in under the dash. Now the tricky part is trying to find the part number for the pigtail wiring for the 7 pin blade connector for the trailer connection. I spent 2.5 hours at the Ford Parts desk with 2 parts guys trying to figure it out, but with the crappy wiring diagrams, we can't be sure which one is the one we need. After messing around, another truck pulled into the service bay, and I checked the wiring harness on theirs (since it is similar to mine), and found part number AL3T-13A576-AA. But again, we can't be sure if it is the right part for my application, as we were thinking originally it was a different 13A576 harness.

The VIN on my truck is 1FTFW1ET1CFC26938 (Canadian truck )

this is my last ditch effort, I am just getting so frusterated, and all the RV shops around here want to charge me an arm and a leg and run the wiring themselves, even though the stock wiring harness should have it all there...

HELP! GAH!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Sorry, can't help you with your Prodigy wiring.

But if it was me, I'd sell the Prodigy and get Ford's built-in controller. It should be plug-n-play (but the dealer would probably have to flash the computer) and is far superior to any aftermarket inertial controller (I've used both).

I know there's been discussions around here about installing Ford's controller afterwards. Just use the search.

Quick Reply: Why does figuring out trailer wiring have to be so difficult?