Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do dealers sell you the wrong truck?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Why do dealers sell you the wrong truck?

There's a thread on the forum today where a person bought a lower capacity GVW F150 thinking he could haul 3100# in the bed. How does this happen? Same with the people who buy a F150 thinking it will tow a 40' 5th wheel. Doesn't the dealership try to upsell the proper F150 for the job or is the customer just blind to the facts? Does the dealership not make as much money if the truck is ordered?
When you bought yours did the sales team try to actually get you the proper truck for towing? Was there any MAX TOW or HD payloads available on the lot? Seems there is an epidemic of folks out there with trucks totally unsuited for hauling/towing what the people want them for.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by A7B2FX4
There's a thread on the forum today where a person bought a lower capacity GVW F150 thinking he could haul 3100# in the bed. How does this happen? Same with the people who buy a F150 thinking it will tow a 40' 5th wheel. Doesn't the dealership try to upsell the proper F150 for the job or is the customer just blind to the facts? Does the dealership not make as much money if the truck is ordered?
When you bought yours did the sales team try to actually get you the proper truck for towing? Was there any MAX TOW or HD payloads available on the lot? Seems there is an epidemic of folks out there with trucks totally unsuited for hauling/towing what the people want them for.
Caveat Emptor

Blaming the seller for the ignorance of the buyer is absurd at best.

The following 6 users liked this post by RLXXI:
130428 (02-17-2014), AZPoolBoy480 (02-19-2014), BCMIF150 (02-17-2014), JerseyGray (03-28-2018), Simnut (03-21-2018), superdave150 (02-17-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

The buyer needs to do the readership before buying the truck. I read that guys post about trying to move tires. He should of bought a 250/350 or at least the XLT max tow with the heavy suspension package.

Some buyers walk into a dealer and have their mind set on a f150.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp

Caveat Emptor

Blaming the seller for the ignorance of the buyer is absurd at best.

Not necessarily so. This seems to be a rule that ONLY applies to the automotive industry. As an example, if a customer approaches me with a business model, my job as a professional is to sell the the correct servers, software and storage solutions to do the job efficiently at a cost point that realizes an actual ROI. They rely on my expertise, and I am held accountable. This should be no different than someone going to a dealership. They are expecting the sales staff to be educated and professional enough to sell them, or at the very least ADVISE them of, the correct tool for the job. 99% of the time this is NEVER the case. A very small percentage of buyers have the necessary knowledge for this, and an even smaller percentage are actively going through forums like this to help- which is why these sales "professionals" should be held to some form of standards. To many, a truck is a truck. Far too often the sales "professionals" are not held accountable in some way, and because of that this issue continues. The consumers are allowing it. It seems anyone can be a car salesman as long as they know a few buzz words.

This is a two way street though. Customers need to articulate what they intend to do with the truck too.

Last edited by smurfs_of_war; 02-16-2014 at 10:14 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by smurfs_of_war:
A7B2FX4 (02-16-2014), Alcoloco (03-06-2014), AZPoolBoy480 (02-19-2014), canddmeyer (03-05-2014), GATORB8 (02-18-2014), Gladehound (03-23-2018), Hookedonhunting (03-20-2014), tomt5078 (03-21-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war
Not necessarily so. This seems to be a rule that ONLY applies to the automotive industry. As an example, if a customer approaches me with a business model, my job as a professional is to sell the the correct servers, software and storage solutions to do the job efficiently at a cost point that realizes an actual ROI. They rely on my expertise, and I am held accountable. This should be no different than someone going to a dealership. They are expecting the sales staff to be educated and professional enough to sell them, or at the very least ADVISE them of, the correct tool for the job. 99% of the time this is NEVER the case. A very small percentage of buyers have the necessary knowledge for this, and an even smaller percentage are actively going through forums like this to help- which is why these sales "professionals" should be held to some form of standards. To many, a truck is a truck. Far too often the sales "professionals" are not held accountable in some way, and because of that this issue continues. The consumers are allowing it. It seems anyone can be a car salesman as long as they know a few buzz words.

This is a two way street though. Customers need to articulate what they intend to do with the truck too.

When a person is about to expend a great deal of money on a product, it is in THIER BEST interest to understand EVERY aspect of said product.

A wise man once said a fool and his money soon part, that statement remains true to this day.

No love lost on idiots that do not research what they are buying.

Your statement is invalid especially now when all they have to do is open a web page or type into a google search, so don't feed me that bs.

The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
BCMIF150 (02-17-2014), superdave150 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

When a person is about to expend a great deal of money on a product, it is in THIER BEST interest to understand EVERY aspect of said product.

A wise man once said a fool and his money soon part, that statement remains true to this day.

Your statement is invalid especially now when all they have to do is open a web page or type into a google search, so don't feed me that bs.

I won't argue what you have stated since there is no sense- each person is entitled to an opinion BUT, I can't agree. A simple server rack for a business can, and often does, cost more than one of these trucks. That's a single rack of servers. Do you mean to tell me that you would be able to open a simple web page and understand all of the components and configuration and what job each piece of software or hardware has in the grand scheme of things? This in fact makes your argument invalid since you know this is just simply not the case. There is a reason people like me paid in the above example, and why we are held to a certain standard. Passing the buck goes two ways- so don't feed me that bs.

Last edited by smurfs_of_war; 02-16-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I think their is definitely blame to be out on both the buyer and the dealer. For instance, I think with most of us on here being somewhat "car guys", how frustrating was it going to the dealer and asking specific questions and you end up knowing more about the truck than the salesman? Could be it was just my experience but I doubt I'm the only one. But, I do agree with some of you guys that blame needs to be put on the buyer just as much as on the dealer/seller.
The following users liked this post:
smurfs_of_war (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you considered selling pyramid schemes?
The following 3 users liked this post by A7B2FX4:
canddmeyer (03-05-2014), JHFoutz (03-23-2018), tomt5078 (03-21-2018)
Old 02-17-2014, 04:28 AM

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

I won't cast blame on either party since I wasn't there and have no idea what needs or expectations were conveyed during the purchase.

But, if you have a list of "must haves" when making a purchase you really should make sure they are all satisfied. This applies whether your buying a tasty steak for $30 or a truck for $40K.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I truly believe that there is such a high turn-over rate of sale ppl that they are just truly uneducated when it comes to understanding vehicles and their capabilities. It is amazing how many sales ppl were/seemed so young when we went to make our purchase, especially in the urban dealerships.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do dealers sell you the wrong truck?