Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you attach your break-away cable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Question Where do you attach your break-away cable?

I am currently hunting for the right hardware or rather the right eye-screw to one of my license plate screws so that I can attach my break away cable to it. I've seen a lot of different ways folks out there that attach their break away cable to:

-on one of the link chains
-same chain hole that is on the receiver that the two chain goes on to
-somewhere along the receiver itself
-etc

I'm curious to know who out there connect their cable to that is not listed above? My thinking is if the cable is attached to 'any' part of the receiver and said reciever ever breaks, the emergency brake won't engage. Since the license plate is part of the bumper, that eventually will still be there and my special hook/screw will hold on to that cable and engages it. What say yous?
Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The licence plate screws into plastic. I use a stand-alone 1/4" screw shut link that's attached to the hitch. I usually drill a hole through the safety chain plate to attach said link.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:18 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by PerryB
The licence plate screws into plastic. I use a stand-alone 1/4" screw shut link that's attached to the hitch. I usually drill a hole through the safety chain plate to attach said link.
That's a good spot/idea, but I honestly don't know the failure rate of any hitches and/or receivers but let's assume:

-hitch fails and breaks, the chain are there for backup, but is your break away cable 'shorter' than your chains? I'm sure the OEM chain that comes w/ the trailer should be strong enough to withstand the tug in lack of better words.

-receiver fails and breaks (fall off), all bets are off since everything is attached to the receiver?

I'm asking for the sake of safety for my family and anyone around me if that hitch/receiver breaks on me.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i2oadi2unnei2
I am currently hunting for the right hardware or rather the right eye-screw to one of my license plate screws so that I can attach my break away cable to it. I've seen a lot of different ways folks out there that attach their break away cable to:

-on one of the link chains
-same chain hole that is on the receiver that the two chain goes on to
-somewhere along the receiver itself
-etc

I'm curious to know who out there connect their cable to that is not listed above? My thinking is if the cable is attached to 'any' part of the receiver and said reciever ever breaks, the emergency brake won't engage. Since the license plate is part of the bumper, that eventually will still be there and my special hook/screw will hold on to that cable and engages it. What say yous?
I think I'll take my chances with the receiver. I suppose if you tow near the truck's limits frequently this is of greater concern, but to me it's not worth the trouble.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:44 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by passwordistaco
I think I'll take my chances with the receiver. I suppose if you tow near the truck's limits frequently this is of greater concern, but to me it's not worth the trouble.
Fair enough Being a bit of an OCD in regards to many things, I don't like clutter and prefer clean lines/install, therefore using/modifying that one screw of that license plate give me a bit of piece of mind and little less clutter with all those cables and chains
Old 04-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

I put mine through the same place the safety chains go. I do agree, if the receiver fails and falls off the truck, its won't activate the brakes.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by dodgeman1
I put mine through the same place the safety chains go. I do agree, if the receiver fails and falls off the truck, its won't activate the brakes.
As stated earlier I don't know the failure rate for both the receiver or hitch although there is a thread here where someone is seeing a crack on his receiver and may not have noticed it and just that part breaks, the hitch will/may fall off therefore the chain will kick in. This is where one needs to verify that the length/tension of that breakaway cable is shorter than that chain. I know some has replaced the basic cable with those coil version but forgot that it can expand a bit longer than the chains and it'll never disengage
Old 04-12-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

If you really wanted to have a totally independent attachment, you could attach a leader cable to the frame and have it terminate in an eyelet near the safety chain attachments. Maybe support it with an Adele clamp attached to the chain bracket so it doesn't hang/drag. I have my break-away cables set up so it's the last thing to happen in the event of a trailer seperation. I had one get snagged on my 5er a few years ago and stopped me in the middle of an intersection while turning onto my street. No harm/no foul and fortunately didn't damage the brake controller but rather embarrassing.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:13 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PerryB
If you really wanted to have a totally independent attachment, you could attach a leader cable to the frame and have it terminate in an eyelet near the safety chain attachments. Maybe support it with an Adele clamp attached to the chain bracket so it doesn't hang/drag. I have my break-away cables set up so it's the last thing to happen in the event of a trailer seperation. I had one get snagged on my 5er a few years ago and stopped me in the middle of an intersection while turning onto my street. No harm/no foul and fortunately didn't damage the brake controller but rather embarrassing.
This sounds like an option, I may need to consider this and add it to my limited list of options, thank you!
The following users liked this post:
PerryB (04-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Where do you attach your break-away cable?