Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What WDH and sway setup are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What WDH and sway setup are you running?

Getting ready to buy my first TT, probably something around 28ft and 7500lbs. I'm starting to look for hitch gear and would like your guys opinion on which brands and setups are best. I really like what I see with the Husky Centerline. My TV is a 2012 EcoScrew 5.5 box, with MaxTow (3.73's) so I should have tons of truck to pull it with.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Folgers
Getting ready to buy my first TT, probably something around 28ft and 7500lbs. I'm starting to look for hitch gear and would like your guys opinion on which brands and setups are best. I really like what I see with the Husky Centerline. My TV is a 2012 EcoScrew 5.5 box, with MaxTow (3.73's) so I should have tons of truck to pull it with.
Most RV dealers in Canada will set you up with everything you need. Just have them roll it into your deal. That's what I did in alberta
Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 PM

I know when I traded my trailer in we had to get a new set up because the tongue weight increased, I would buy your trailer and then get your WDH.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:45 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

You might not have as much truck as you think. Your limiting factor is going to be payload. Payload disappears in a hurry. Wife, kids, dog, tool box, generator, bikes, coolers, hitch weight, truck accessories, etc all come out of payload. A 7500 lb trailer is going to be around 900 to 1000 lbs of hitch weight when the trailer is loaded. Make sure you are within your payload before you pull the trigger on a trailer of that size.

With a bigger trailer, with a friction sway bar is inadequate. You will want something like a Reese Dual Cam or an Equalizer setup. I have the Reese DC and like it a lot. IMO it doesn't just slow sway, it works to prevent it in the first place; actually working actively to put the trailer back in position. I'm not familiar with the Husky product you mention.

Best of luck. Have fun. Be safe.
The following users liked this post:
Twisty (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM

Take a look at the Springdale 260TBL, it's 28ft 4900lbs dry.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Current WDH I use equal-i-zer and with tens of thousands of miles towing in all weather conditions it still handles the task without issue.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

I started with a Reese dual cam. Great setup. I now run a Hensley arrow because I found a smoking deal on one.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
You might not have as much truck as you think. Your limiting factor is going to be payload. Payload disappears in a hurry. Wife, kids, dog, tool box, generator, bikes, coolers, hitch weight, truck accessories, etc all come out of payload. A 7500 lb trailer is going to be around 900 to 1000 lbs of hitch weight when the trailer is loaded. Make sure you are within your payload before you pull the trigger on a trailer of that size.

With a bigger trailer, with a friction sway bar is inadequate. You will want something like a Reese Dual Cam or an Equalizer setup. I have the Reese DC and like it a lot. IMO it doesn't just slow sway, it works to prevent it in the first place; actually working actively to put the trailer back in position. I'm not familiar with the Husky product you mention.

Best of luck. Have fun. Be safe.

X2 go for the HD payload, you will never regret it. I am towing almost exactly what you are looking for and i am very close to my payload max (1535). If I had it to do over again i would get the HD payload.
I am using a 10000lb equal-i-zer WDH
Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got an Equalizer 1,000/10,000 lb setup on my trailer. Works well so far after about 500 towing miles. It's pretty easy to setup and so far pretty quiet. I like that I don't need to mess with chains. I've also heard with the dual cam it can be challenging to get set up just right...you need to get the spring bars centered over the cams when the vehicle is perfectly straight ahead.

Here's a pic of the my equalizer hitch.

What WDH and sway setup are you running?-image-2439804718.jpg
Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tls001
X2 go for the HD payload, you will never regret it. I am towing almost exactly what you are looking for and i am very close to my payload max (1535). If I had it to do over again i would get the HD payload.
I am using a 10000lb equal-i-zer WDH
My payload is 1765 on the door sticker. I've got 3 small kids under 5 and the dog. Most trailers I've been looking at have somewhere between 500 to 700lbs tongue weight. I thought with the WDH taking some of that then I would be good for payload; might be getting close but still be good.

Quick Reply: What WDH and sway setup are you running?