Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size utility trailer should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What size utility trailer should I get?

Hi all,
I want to get a utility trailer that I can haul 4 sport quads on for next season. I also would like to be able to haul a Jeep or a bronco 2 on it when decide to get one. I want to get the smallest trailer for my needs. I was thinking 12 or 14ft tandem axle of course. The wheel base on a bronco 2 is around 8ft.

So what size would you guys recommend?
Old 11-22-2018, 04:29 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Are you wanting one wide enough to haul 2x2? If so a 12' will probably be adequate. You're going to have to measure the bikes to know.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:38 AM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm betting that the trailer for 4 sport quads is gonna need to be 14' - 16' at a minuimum. To haul that weight, it'll have to be a TA with e-brakes. If you want to keep the total weight as low as possible, pony up the money for an aluminum trailer.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure what quads you have, but a Yamaha raptor 700 is 46” wide. Hauling crossways would be a minimum 16’ trailer. The only way to get shorter would be to special order one with a full width deck in front of the trailer wheels. Even then you would only be able to haul the front 2 lengthwise. The other 2 would have to be hauled crossways. I had the same thoughts last year when I went out to Colorado with 4 quads. Finally just said screw it and got a 20 footer. You never know what else you want to haul some day.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 11-23-2018, 10:05 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Ignore requirements for the Bronco. Any trailer that can haul 4 quads can haul a Bronco without overloading the trailer.

For the quads, arrange them on the driveway the same way you would arrange them on the trailer, then measure. Note that Ambush loaded his biggest quad lengthwise between the fenders, and the other three crosswise before and after the fenders,

So if your trailer has the deck between the fenders, you must worry about such details. But maybe a better option for you would be a bumper-pull deck-over equipment trailer. Like this one"
https://www.bigtextrailers.com/10oa-...-over-the-axle
Then no worry about the fenders getting in the way of loading the quads however you wish. If your quads are less than 4' wide and 8' long you can load then side by side on a deck-over trailer with a 16' long deck.

With GVWR of 9,900 pounds, that one should have no problem hauling the Broncho or Jeep, or the 4 quads + stuff without overloading the trailer. Note the deck is 8.5' wide, which provides a lot more wiggle room for loading the quads than the 6' or - at the most - 7' wide floor of a utility trailer.

Last edited by smokeywren; 11-23-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 223 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Ignore requirements for the Bronco. Any trailer that can haul 4 quads can haul a Bronco without overloading the trailer.

For the quads, arrange them on the driveway the same way you would arrange them on the trailer, then measure. Note that Ambush loaded his biggest quad lengthwise between the fenders, and the other three crosswise before and after the fenders,

So if your trailer has the deck between the fenders, you must worry about such details. But maybe a better option for you would be a bumper-pull deck-over equipment trailer. Like this one"
https://www.bigtextrailers.com/10oa-...-over-the-axle
Then no worry about the fenders getting in the way of loading the quads however you wish. If your quads are less than 4' wide and 8' long you can load then side by side on a deck-over trailer with a 16' long deck.

With GVWR of 9,900 pounds, that one should have no problem hauling the Broncho or Jeep, or the 4 quads + stuff without overloading the trailer. Note the deck is 8.5' wide, which provides a lot more wiggle room for loading the quads than the 6' or - at the most - 7' wide floor of a utility trailer.
Great option, do you have an WDH that would work /w that setup?
Old 11-24-2018, 12:22 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff1024
Great option, do you have an WDH that would work /w that setup?
The Reese dual-cam WD hitch will work. So will a Reese Strait-Line hitch with sway control.The lift-up brackets clamp onto the tongue frame, so it doesn't matter how tall the frame is, but
"Will not fit trailer frames wider than 2-1/2". I haven't measured that tongue frame on that trailer, but I'll bet it's not more than 2.5" thick.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66542.html

Some weight-distribution hitches won't work with that trailer because the tongue frame on that trailer is 8" tall. For example, the Equal-I-Zer won't work because the Equalizer is limited to a 6" frame.

So for any WD hitch other than a Reese Dual-Cam or Strait-Line, check the specs of the hitch and be sure the lift-up brackets will bolt or clamp onto an 8" tall trailer tongue frame.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The deck over is really cool and that would work really well too, but I’m looking for something a little smaller. I’m mostly concerned about the weight. My truck isn’t a crew cab so we’ll probably use my buddies on days trips. It’s a early 2000’s f150 crew cab.

Its sounds like I should look for 14-16ft trailer. I do like the idea of lining up all the quads and measuring it.

My quad Raptor 660 is the narrowest quad the yzf 450s and the lt500 are noticeably wider. I’m guessing the total weight of the 4 quads is around 2,000lbs.

The dry weight of a bronco 2 is 3,383lbs.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

With that little of weight...you shouldn't need a WDH. I pull my two mowers(JD X738, Gravely ZT HD 60) which weigh about 2200 lbs with all my other yard equipment regularly on a 6.5'x14' single-axle utility. The heavier JD rides up front(1140 lbs) and the trailer and truck trailer nice. I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's at least 500 lbs tongue weight with that mower all the way up to the rails.

Quick Reply: What size utility trailer should I get?