Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can I tow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I tow?

I want to buy a Toy Hauler and put a couple Harleys in it.

I have a very nice truck with only 33k on it. Its a 2002 F150 XLT with a 5.4 Triton V8 with a Kenne Bell Super Charger on it.

Do i need a tow package?
Do i need special brakes?
Do I need suspension work?

Noone tows much here in Hawaii no RVs.

Mahalo and Aloha!
Old 01-10-2019, 05:24 AM

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Traderjoehi

I have a very nice truck with only 33k on it. Its a 2002 F150 XLT with a 5.4 Triton V8 with a Kenne Bell Super Charger on it.

Do i need a tow package?

Noone tows much here in Hawaii no RVs.

Mahalo and Aloha!
you need to post the specs on the toyhauler. most towhaulers will be too much for your older 5.4, ESPECIALLY since you don't have the factory tow package, a brake controller and 1/2 ton suspension.
unless it's a small toyhauler.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Regardless what the truck can tow, YOU shouldn't push the limit until you've gotten a few years & several thousand miles of light towing under your belt.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:39 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Here you go, this will get you started

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/number...9/#post5446734
Old 01-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Power don't mean a thing with regards to towing with a half-ton, so the fact that the blower is on there just means you're gonna suck down more fuel.

Any toy hauler that you wanna tow will also have to lug around another 1,000-2,000lbs in Harleys...so you're probably looking at models that are over 5,000lbs dry. I don't see this ending well with regards to staying within the truck's rated limits.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

What can you tow? I hope your actual question is "what can I tow without being overloaded?"

Originally Posted by Traderjoehi

Do i need a tow package?
Definitely. If your F-150 didn't come with a factory tow pkg, then as a minimum you must add a huge auxiliary transmission cooler (heat exchanger) and a high-quality tranny temp gauge with the sender in the tranny pan (sump). And very clear markings that can be read at a glance for tranny temps between about 210° and 240°. Never allow more than 225° tranny sump temp if you don't want an expensive tranny overhaul bill.

Not on the truck, but Hawaii requires brakes on any trailer that weighs more than 1,500 pounds. So in the F-150 you need the wiring harness that includes a plug for a trailer brake controller, plus a 7-pin trailer plug on the back of the truck, and you need a trailer brake controller. And of course you need a receiver hitch rated for at least the max weight of your trailer. And, the trailer must have brakes, preferably "electric" brakes that are actually magnets that clamp the brake shoes to the brake drums, or the brake pads to the brake disks.

No, not if you don't overload your truck over the GVWR of the truck. And please don't overload your F-150.

But any toy hauler with enough payload capacity to haul two Hawgs will probably overload your F-150. So I'd change the game plan. Instead of a toy hauler RV trailer, consider an enclosed cargo trailer. My 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer was designed as a motorcycle hauler. Two 3,500 pound axles = over 7,000 pounds GVWR and about 1,000 pounds hitch weight with a WD hitch when loaded to 7,000 pounds. Tie downs in the floor and on the walls to secure the bikes when on the road. Then convert the interior of the cargo trailer so that after you unload the bikes you'll have plenty of room for a fold-up Murphy bed, port-a-potty, Coleman gasoline stove and lantern. If you want to go whole hawg, you could add AC and an RV battery for 12-volt lights and sterio.

Last edited by smokeywren; 01-10-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: What can I tow?