Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Distribution Hitch or new Receiver

Old 07-04-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weight Distribution Hitch or new Receiver

I have 2012 F-150 4x4 Super Cab with a 145" wheel base and 6'6" bed.
GVWR 7350#
Payload 1579#
GCWR 13,500#
Max Trailer Weight 7,800#
My Enclosed Cargo Trailer GVWR 7,000#
I am moving from Alaska so this will hopefully be a one time trip with this load. I plan to keep the trailer load around 6500# and it will be only me with a small amount of gear in the truck.
I have the standard receiver on the truck with the 500/5000# rating which is my limiting issue.
My question is should I consider a new receiver with a higher towing rating or should I spend the $650 and go with a WDH.
I plan to buy a TW scale and I'm thinking I can dial in the TW to where I want it so that should not be an issue.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Bob
Old 07-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Spend the money for a good WD hitch. Blue Ox, Equal-I-Zer, Reese Straight-Line or Husky Centerline HD.

You need the WD hitch to distribute some of the hitch weight off the rear axle and onto the front axle and the trailer axles. Plus you need good built-in sway-control which those 4 hitches all have.

With a heavier-duty receiver and a weight-carrying ball mount, you'll have no weight distribution off the rear axle, and no mechanical sway control. Not a good plan! That's why Ford says any hitch weight more than 500 pounds requires a WD hitch.

You'll also find that trying to find a heavier-duty receiver for an F-150 will be frustrating. The OEM receiver is just about all the frame and chassis of the F-150 can handle without exceeding one or more weight limits. And hitch manufacturers are reluctant to offer a receiver hitch that will result in an overloaded frame or chassis.

Last edited by smokeywren; 07-04-2017 at 03:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AK Bob (07-05-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

When you put that tongue weight on that hitch ball, it lifts the front end. Now the front tires have less traction for steering and braking. That's not a good situation in a rainy curve or stopping at a suddenly red traffic light. That's the reason the sticker on the hitch says limit it to 500 lbs., not because the hitch can't handle the weight. You need a weight distribution hitch to put some of that weight back on the steer axle.

With my trailer, 360 lbs. was lifted from the steer axle and the WDH put 260 lbs. back.

AK Bob (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for replying to my posting.
I pretty much knew the WDH was the way to go so i appreciated your thoughts. Safety first.
My next issue is I have a v-nose trailer and the trunnion chain mounts will have to be bolted or welded to the frame under the enclosure.
Can I mount the brackets without the trailer being fully loaded? I would think I should have a little wiggle room with the chain.
Also when determining the amount of drop on the shank am I correct measuring from the top of the receiver opening to the bottom of the trailer coupler or the top of the ball?

Bob
Old 07-06-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Bob
Thank you for replying to my posting.
I pretty much knew the WDH was the way to go so i appreciated your thoughts. Safety first.
My next issue is I have a v-nose trailer and the trunnion chain mounts will have to be bolted or welded to the frame under the enclosure.
Can I mount the brackets without the trailer being fully loaded? I would think I should have a little wiggle room with the chain.
Also when determining the amount of drop on the shank am I correct measuring from the top of the receiver opening to the bottom of the trailer coupler or the top of the ball?

Bob
Correct on your measurements.

I never had a V-nose. I don't see that the trailer loading has anything to do with when the brackets are mounted. If the trailer is loaded before the chains are cinched up, the tongue attached to the truck will just be harder to lift. Without the snap-up brackets available because of the V-nose, you will have to jack up the tongue higher to get enough slack to attach the chains.

AK Bob (07-07-2017)

Search this Thread