Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weigh stations

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weigh stations

Brand new to RV ing....do I have to stop at weigh stations on the intetstate?
Old 06-27-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

no
Old 06-27-2017, 10:44 PM

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Only if you are suspected of being over weight, and only in a few states, like Nebraska. If those situations it happens one of two ways, you get flagged prior to the weigh station and called in. There are light signs ahead of the scales, and signs saying ALL trucks stay in right lane, including pickups with trailers. While I was heading home through NB with my trailer, a 2500 ahead of me pulling a 5th wheel was flagged to pull into the scale. Why, no clue, but it can and does happen. It did look like a pretty big trailer he was towing and did have stuff hanging off the rear bumper, so maybe they got him on length, don't know.

The other situation is if a trooper suspects an issue, but that is extremely rare since they usually ignore all RV's, and focus on the big rigs where the money is.

For the most part though, scales can be ignored, just be watchful of sign postings prior to the scale just to make sure you aren't in the wrong lane, or they may give you crap about it.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:57 PM

Great answer...thanks!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

In Oregon you don't have to be weighed but they leave them on when they are closed so you can pull in and weigh your vehicle and rv.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 348 Likes on 243 Posts

Be aware that rules differ by state. The posted law in South Dakota is that anything over 8k GVWR other than an RV must stop at the port of entry (when open), and I've been advised that they're very thorough in their vehicle inspections.

Also, anything at 10k+ GVWR used for commercial purposes is potentially a CMV, even if the driver doesn't need a CDL because it's under 26k. Friend of mine drove a box truck for his employer for a while, to which they added the appropriate DOT labeling, caution triangles, etc., after a discussion about CMV rules with a member of Wyoming Highway Patrol. I think some 3/4-ton-class rigs might hit that 10k number, which might explain a 2500 getting flagged in.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Only if you are suspected of being over weight, and only in a few states, like Nebraska. If those situations it happens one of two ways, you get flagged prior to the weigh station and called in. There are light signs ahead of the scales, and signs saying ALL trucks stay in right lane, including pickups with trailers.
Opps...just returned to SLC from Ohio pulling my trailer...

Didn't realize NE was like that.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by charles_slc
Opps...just returned to SLC from Ohio pulling my trailer...

Didn't realize NE was like that.
I didn't either until I actually saw it, then googled it when I got home, yep NE can be a real pain it seems when it comes to the scales.

Here is a good thread on Nebraska, I got a chuckle out of some of the posts.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89306
Old 07-02-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I didn't either until I actually saw it, then googled it when I got home, yep NE can be a real pain it seems when it comes to the scales.

Here is a good thread on Nebraska, I got a chuckle out of some of the posts.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89306
I goggled it myself...and I'm wondering...

Yes the NE DOT website says "pickups w/trailers"

But it also says "recreational vehicles exempted" To me, that's always included camping trailers.

And I found this
Nebraska Revised Statute 71-4603
Terms, defined.

(19) Recreational vehicle means a vehicular type unit primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use, which unit either has its own motive power or is mounted on or towed by another vehicle. Recreational vehicle includes, but is not limited to, travel trailer, park trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and van conversion;

In any event, I was on I-80 in the right lane...and as I understand it, they do a weight in motion and would have flagged me if the wanted to weight me.

Not that it would have mattered, with a 5000# trailer...I'm well under the limits of my HDPP equipped F-150.