Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weak bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weak bumper?

Forgive me if this has been thoroughly covered, but I couldn't really find any helpful threads about it.

I just upgraded my '03 F350 to a '10 F150 and I'm loving it, but am I the only one to find the rear bumper pathetically weak? Specifically the center piece of the rear bumper? Other (incredibly unhelpful) threads made smart@$$ comments to people about being fat or hard to please, but lets call a spade a spade - when I stand on the bumper and it bends even a little, its weak! I thought this was "built Ford tough"!

I could bounce all day long on the center of my 03 bumper; the thing was rock solid. The first time I stepped up on the center of this one I cracked the plastic. It feels like theres just a small reinforcement piece close to the truck, but 60% of the center piece is just plain molded plastic. Is there some type of reinforcement that can be done here so the bumper isn't such a pansy? I'm not looking to bumper tow - I have a tow package for that. I just want to use it as a step without worrying that I'm going to break the damn thing off!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

I would just replace it with a much more solid aftermarket one. You are right though, it's probably the weakest bumper I've ever seen on a truck.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Watt-maker
I would just replace it with a much more solid aftermarket one. You are right though, it's probably the weakest bumper I've ever seen on a truck.
You've got MaxTow, that's supposed to have a strengthened bumper. But maybe not the step. Mine seems strong enough though ... not that I use it for anything other than stepping on.

But Ford is reducing weight where it can. Some of the sheet metal seems flimsy for sure. I like the mileage improvements but hope they don't get too carried away.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by brulaz
You've got MaxTow, that's supposed to have a strengthened bumper. But maybe not the step. Mine seems strong enough though ... not that I use it for anything other than stepping on.

But Ford is reducing weight where it can. Some of the sheet metal seems flimsy for sure. I like the mileage improvements but hope they don't get too carried away.
Underneith the bumper is where it's upgraded.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 AM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

Youre talking about the plastic, not the steel. Crawl under the truck and look at the amount of steel these bumpers have under them, they are stout. The plastic that covers them however are not.

Quick Reply: weak bumper?