Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WDH setup for different load configurations

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts
Default WDH setup for different load configurations

I tow a 25FT travel trailer GVWR 6000lb. My 2016 has a payload of 1750lb, 3.5EB.

I set up my WDH to tow my trailer full of water, gear, etc and truck loaded with dirt bikes and a generator. It tows great, all my measurements are where they should be.

However, we did a family trip last week to a local campground, no bikes or gear or water, and noticed a very bouncy ride. I realized my hitch weight was way down and my WDH bars cranked too much. Luckily the campground was literally 3 miles from the house so when I got home I started checking things out.

I removed WDH bars and saw trailer was sitting level on the hitch. Obviously the truck has some squat and the front end some rise.

To get the front of the trailer to squat more on the hitch, can I move the ball back/down... or forward/up? I have a Reese hitch that has a fixed ball mount on the bottom and an adjustable slotted mount on the top allowing the ball to rotator forward or back.

Im thinking of rotating back to give a bit more trailer front down pitch so when I hook up bars I get level with more hitch weight.

i don't have any CAT scales local to me at the moment
Old 06-13-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

Many schools of thought. First things first, you'll want the ball height on the hitch to be around 18" from the ground. Or, park on a flat surface with the trailer level. The top of the trailer coupler should be no more than 2 inches below the ball height on your truck. IF you go with his method, measure the distance from the ground to the inside lip of your front wheel fender. Next, hook up the trailer without the bars. Measure the front fender height again. Then add the bars, measure the front fender height. Measurement 3 should be at least half way back to measurement 2. If you achieve that you'll have fairly good weight distribution.

Keep in mind you'll want to do all of the above with a full load just as if you were going to tow to go camping. Gear, water, fire wood, people, etc.