Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which WDH is best?

Old 07-16-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Which WDH is best?

So I am likely buying a new travel trailer to tow behind my 2012 Supercrew FX4. I am planning on selling my old Eaz-Lift WDH with the old camper. I will need a new one and I was wondering what you all thought about some of the various models out there.

I am tempted to go with the Eaz-Lift again since it is around $250. I also looked at the Fastway E2, which is around $300. The advantage of the Eaz-Lift is that it is something I already know. The advantage of the E2 would seem to be integrated sway control.

Does anybody have an opinion on either of these two? I would rather not spend much more than $300. Also, how hard is the installation of these? Are there other models I should consider?

Thanks!
Patrick
Old 07-16-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 531 Likes on 395 Posts

After researching, Blue Ox Sway Pro seems to be the popular favorite of the day at rv.net .

I bought a system myself and am satisfied. I'll see how well it does with the upcoming trip.

I've had a lot of problems with my Reese Trunnion Strait-Line system and it now sits in my shed with 1200 lbs and 800 lbs bars. I'll likely sell it down the road as it's lack of 1000 lbs wouldn't allow it to adjust to the '16 F150. 1000 lbs bars aren't offered or were not offered when I bought it.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Up
After researching, Blue Ox Sway Pro seems to be the popular favorite of the day at rv.net .

I bought a system myself and am satisfied. I'll see how well it does with the upcoming trip.

I've had a lot of problems with my Reese Trunnion Strait-Line system and it now sits in my shed with 1200 lbs and 800 lbs bars. I'll likely sell it down the road as it's lack of 1000 lbs wouldn't allow it to adjust to the '16 F150. 1000 lbs bars aren't offered or were not offered when I bought it.
Yeah, I am thinking that $500-600 is a little more than I want to spend. What are the advantages of the Blue Ox over the others?
Old 07-16-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 531 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by a2pfunk
Yeah, I am thinking that $500-600 is a little more than I want to spend. What are the advantages of the Blue Ox over the others?
Biggest is simple installation and hookup. Also, grease-less spring bars, noiseless sway control, and very good sway control from many many reviews and experiences from veteran RVers.

Equal-i-zer brand is hard to setup and very very noisy.

Reese Strait-Line is extremely hard to setup and extremely noisy.

Add On friction sway bars dog track and can't be used in icy or wet conditions, and must be disengaged/removed before backing up. They also don't prevent sway, only try to control it after it happens.

Hensley, Propride, and PullRite are just extremely expensive but are the best.

Other systems just aren't reported as being very good at controlling sway.

$500 - $600 is a drop in the bucket compared to sway overturning your rig and your wife and children being hurt.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought a Husky for 3-400 ,having some type is better than not having any thing IMO ,I have 1200lbs bars on mine and no problems,spend as much as you can afford ,set it up properly and drive on.you don't have to have the most expensive equipment to have a safe day but you do have to use some common sense
Old 07-17-2016, 03:16 PM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Up
Biggest is simple installation and hookup. Also, grease-less spring bars, noiseless sway control, and very good sway control from many many reviews and experiences from veteran RVers.

Equal-i-zer brand is hard to setup and very very noisy.

Reese Strait-Line is extremely hard to setup and extremely noisy.

Add On friction sway bars dog track and can't be used in icy or wet conditions, and must be disengaged/removed before backing up. They also don't prevent sway, only try to control it after it happens.

Hensley, Propride, and PullRite are just extremely expensive but are the best.

Other systems just aren't reported as being very good at controlling sway.

$500 - $600 is a drop in the bucket compared to sway overturning your rig and your wife and children being hurt.
Sorry but I completely disagree with that statement....
Old 07-17-2016, 09:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

A new Blue Ox will run you 600 bucks but used ones can be found for around 3-400 hundred and that puts a used Blue Ox in you price range and I would take a used Blue Ox over any of the new stuff that you have suggested.

Another really nice thing about the Blue Ox is that you can back up without unloading the bars. It may not sound like much but I would never by a hitch that did not do this.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:27 PM
ncz

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want integrated friction sway, look at new steadi-flex from Reese. Like the equalizer but uses friction pad material to improve friction and cut down noise

If you want active sway control, Blue Ox or Reese Strait Line
Old 07-18-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ncz
If you want integrated friction sway, look at new steadi-flex from Reese. Like the equalizer but uses friction pad material to improve friction and cut down noise

If you want active sway control, Blue Ox or Reese Strait Line
I like the active sway control aspect of Reese Straight Line. I have had no issues with the system and it controls sway totally.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Fastway E2 and have been happy with the way the truck tows my travel trailer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which WDH is best?