Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

used the scales today

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default used the scales today

2017 V8 XLT, just me in the vehicle. What I'm trying to establish is whether I have my WDH set up optimally. It drives great but if things can be improved from a safety & comfort point of view why not.

from the door stickers:

GVWR: 7050LB
Front GAWR: 3450LB
Rear GAWR: 3800LB
Max combined weight of occupants and cargo: 2004LB

Weights without the trailer:
Front: 3200LB
Rear: 2350LB
Total (front and rear wheels on the scale): 5550LB

So at this point I'm guessing my max payload (Things additional to me in or attached to the truck) is not the 2004LB above but 7050 - 5550 = 1500LB

With the trailer attached using WDH:

Front: 3200LB
Rear: 2950LB
Total (front and rear wheels on the scale): 6150LB
Just the trailer axles on the scale (still attached to the truck): 4000LB

The first thing that I notice is that the front axle weight did not change at all whether TT attached or not, that has to be a good thing. Rear went up 600LB so I'm assuming that is my tongue weight.

I didn't take measurements with the trailer attached not using WDH, that might be helpful here. I also didn't take any height measurements but visually there's no rise in the front and a marginal reduced height in the rear (still a rake from rear to front).

Comments/feedback appreciated!
Old 09-24-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

If your front is weighing in the same, you're probably right on. Did you weigh it with the trailer hooked up but without the weight distribution bars on? That would tell you if any weight came off the front axle and then the addition of the bars restored it.

From the rough numbers you have us, it looks good. How level is the trailer sitting behind the truck?
Old 09-24-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Sounds like you got it on the first try. purpose of the WDH is to bring the front back to or close to the original unladen weight, and you nailed it.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

It requires the third weighing with the trailer attached without the weight distribution bars attached to get the whole picture. On mine, about 20% of the tongue weight was transferred to the trailer axles by the weight distribution hitch. If yours is similar, then your tongue weight is 600/0.8 = 750.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by clarkbre
If your front is weighing in the same, you're probably right on. Did you weigh it with the trailer hooked up but without the weight distribution bars on? That would tell you if any weight came off the front axle and then the addition of the bars restored it.

From the rough numbers you have us, it looks good. How level is the trailer sitting behind the truck?
Yeah I should have disconnected the bars, I was trying to stay ahead of traffic and also get to the destination before dark. I’ll do it again some time, the scales aren’t far away and there’s no charge as there seems to be in other states.

Originally Posted by acdii
Sounds like you got it on the first try. purpose of the WDH is to bring the front back to or close to the original unladen weight, and you nailed it.
Seems like it, also if my trailer weighs 4600 then 600 tongue is 13%, that appears to be around what is expected. The manufacturer has a dry weight of 3976 and hitch of 420.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by atwowheelguy
It requires the third weighing with the trailer attached without the weight distribution bars attached to get the whole picture. On mine, about 20% of the tongue weight was transferred to the trailer axles by the weight distribution hitch. If yours is similar, then your tongue weight is 600/0.8 = 750.

Yeah next time I'd never have expected the tongue weight could be that high though! I thought 600 was high but that wasn't based on much.