Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

updating the towing specs of my f150

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default updating the towing specs of my f150

I currently have a 2000 f150 supercrew, 2wd with tow package. About once a quarter or more I tow one of two vehicles - either a sand rail or a jeep cherokee.
My trailer is just fine - 16' flatbed with 7000# axles and electronic brakes and brand new tires.
My question is... I have all from the factory leaf springs, shocks (I know I need to replace these), and disc brakes... should I upgrade the leafs or anything else?
I have seen shows where they upgrade the disc's with slotted disc's and possibly make them bigger; also they have added air bags.
I was considering doing an add-a-leaf to my current leafs b/c I am going to put a 3 inch spacer in the front to give it a more level look.
Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas or did anyone do anything similar?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:15 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Pretty sure that any truck's tow rating assumes that the trailer's brakes are working and can stop the trailer. The truck's brakes are more to stop the truck and payload (including the trailer's tongue weight).

Even if you improved the truck's brakes so it could stop the trailer too, in an emergency braking manoeuvre the trailer would probably jackknife before it could be stopped, if it had no brakes.

So I would make sure the trailer's brakes are working well, and you have a good proportional Brake Controller (like a Prodigy P2/P3).

Also you want to be sure that the Tongue Weight (and other stuff/people in the truck) do not exceed the truck's payload. You should be able to adjust the tongue weight easily by moving your car back and forth on the trailer, but you want the tongue weight to be at least 10% of total trailer weight.

Adding extra springs or air bags may not increase your payload cause of other weaknesses like your rear axle bearings, brakes (slotted rotors may help here), tranny and so on. Air bags and extra springs may help handling, though, and will reduce sag. But if rear sag and front lift is a problem, I would first get a WDH (weight distribution hitch) and adjust it so that the lift at the front axle is reduced by at least half.

Quick Reply: updating the towing specs of my f150