Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UHaul

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default UHaul

So I'm prepping for a cross country move with my new F150 5.0 FX4 with tow package. I was planning to haul my CTSV but UHaul tells me my truck isn't rated to tow that much weight. What gives? Car weighs 4100lbs. I towed a 5800 lb boat every weekend an hour each way with my 2010 without a hiccup. Am I missing something? Do I have any other tow options?
Old 11-20-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

i think it's something like this:
the U-Haul trailer itself is rated for say, 12,000 lbs.
your truck is only rated for 9,000 lbs, or whatever it may be.
U-Haul has no way of knowing that you are not just BSing them, and planning to haul a 11,900 lbs backhoe with their trailer, which would put you over your truck's rating.
so, to be safe, they do not rent a trailer that is rated for more then what your truck is.

that's what I read here from people with the exact same question and experience though, I only ever rented a 6x12 from them.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:21 PM

Makes sense I guess. I just re did the online configure to tow a Honda Civic and it worked. Bad news 880.00. I can ship it for that.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

You could buy a used trailer...tow with it and then sell it when you get to your destination. I own a moving company and have had customer to that and it worked out.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDawg
You could buy a used trailer...tow with it and then sell it when you get to your destination. I own a moving company and have had customer to that and it worked out.
That's not a bad idea. What's the price range on a trailer like that?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Ive rented uhual car trailers with my dodge dakota. Somethings up. Try a different store
Old 11-20-2015, 10:48 PM

What do you think is a reasonable price to rent a car trailer from San Diego to Jacksonville, fl?
Old 11-21-2015, 01:26 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LoStagg
That's not a bad idea. What's the price range on a trailer like that?
$1000-1500 or so for a decent used open car hauler.

What do you think is a reasonable price to rent a car trailer from San Diego to Jacksonville, fl?
Uhaul's price was as good as it gets. None of the other places will rent you just a trailer without their truck.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

I just re did the online configure to tow a Honda Civic and it worked. Bad news 880.00. I can ship it for that.

Florida is an area where they already have excess inventory of U-Haul. Penske, and Budget rental trailers. So you may not find a cheaper price. So buying a used car-hauler trailer from www.Craigslist.com may be your best bet. If you buy a good trailer with good tires, you can probably sell it in FL for about the same price you paid for it in SoCal.

But don't buy a new trailer. It will depreciate abut 50% when used. So find one on Craigslist or similar source of used trailers. Maybe something like this:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5284506047.html

And you don't necessarily need a car-hauler trailer. A 16' or longer flatbed utility trailer can work just as well for hauling the car, provided you add wheel chocks and cable tie-downs to the trailer. But pay attention to the specs of any trailer you consider, Some are available with 6,000 or 7,000 GVWR, but many have only 5,000 GVWR. You need at least 6,000.

If you buy a used trailer, be certain you re-pack the wheel bearings before you tow it more than across town. And be sure all 5 trailer tires are in good shape and are rated for more than the max weight that will be on each tire. Haul a jack with you that can be used to change a trailer tire, along with a jack base in case you have to change a trailer tire in a muddy ditch. A perfect jack base is a piece of 5/8th" (or thicker) plywood at least 2'x2', and 3'x3' is even better. So go by the Boy Scout motto, and be prepared.

And understand that almost all trailer tires are speed-rated for a max of 65 MPH. So don't be tempted to tow at higher speeds, even though some of I-10 outside CA has an 80 MPH speed limit, even when towing.

Last edited by smokeywren; 11-21-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Florida is an area where they already have excess inventory of U-Haul trailers. So you may not find a cheaper price. So buying a used car-hauler trailer from www.Craigslist.com may be your best bet. If you buy a good trailer with good tires, you can probably sell it in FL for about the same price you paid for it in SoCal.

But don't buy a new trailer. It will depreciate abut 50% when used. So find one on Craigslist or similar source of used trailers.
Yeah I think this may be the way to go.

Quick Reply: UHaul