Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travel trailer ideas from experienced owners?

Old 02-22-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Travel trailer ideas from experienced owners?

Looking to buy my first TT. Never thought my wife would be interested in camping but her and my daughter really want to go.

So many choices out there. Anyone have any recommendations? I'll research anything posted.

Just got done looking at a 5000 pound jayco and a couple of springdale. One was twin axle @4200 pounds the other was 3300 pounds, all dry weights, and I was impressed with them in person.

Springdale didn't have any slide outs and looked small but walk in them and you got queen bed, bunk beds, tv, stove, oven, microwave, shower, bathtub, and refrigerator/ freezer combo. That was in a single axle 3300 pound configuration. I was impressed. Model was 2020, the other 1750 RD.

I wanna get the right fit for us and want to stay under 5400 dry weight. With so many choices does anyone have any suggestions on good TT for price, weight?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:12 PM

Oh well. I'm on RVTRADER checking out used ones 2005 and up with a 7000 dollar cap. Found about 10 prospects to go look at.

That brand new springdale model 2020 keeps popping in my mind. They want 11,000 for it brand new. For a single axle with 3 beds and everything else I may just have to splurge on it.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Personally after towing for 30 plus years I prefer a double axle. Usually tows better and easier to park.
The following 2 users liked this post by mark waller:
Cwprotek (02-22-2017), duck9191 (05-24-2018)
Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree and prefer tandem axle also. Much more stable towing, not really any easier for me to park. I'd recommend going bigger as there's never enough room once the packing starts.
The following users liked this post:
Cwprotek (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

I would suggest, if you have something acceptable locally, renting one for a weekend and take the missus and little 'un out to see if they really will like it.

Nothing would suck more than to have $7,000-10,000 sitting in the driveway and not using it...or trying to sell it.

If you do decide to rent one first, be sure to check out the chairs and beds very closely and bring you own fresh linens.
Cwprotek (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Was just at an RV show. Everything was ~30% off MSRP. I really liked the Jayco's
Old 02-22-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

I got a tandem axle and glad I did. Tows great and less stress going down the road.

I looked at a lot of lighter trailers to make sure I kept within the towing capability of an F150. A lot of smaller trailers have a tiny refrigerator and very small holding tanks. It pays to compare all the features side by side to make the best decision.

I ended up getting a Salem 21RBS and love it. F150 pulls it no problem, and it's got plenty of room and features.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:57 PM

There was the other springdale. Its a dual axle, very much like the other one just a few feet bigger, and a few more options. Bigger freezer, bed facing long ways, etc..

Thanks for the rental idea. Going to see if one of my two local rv lots rent them. I'm pretty sure they really want it though. My daughter loves fishing with me and biking and hiking. Wife was the one I wasn't sure of but swears up and down. She's actually pushing me which surprised me.

The dual was only 1000 dollars more. I'll post how long it is when I grab the brochure out of my truck. Thanks for suggestions
Old 02-22-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Trailbreak74
I got a tandem axle and glad I did. Tows great and less stress going down the road.

I looked at a lot of lighter trailers to make sure I kept within the towing capability of an F150. A lot of smaller trailers have a tiny refrigerator and very small holding tanks. It pays to compare all the features side by side to make the best decision.

I ended up getting a Salem 21RBS and love it. F150 pulls it no problem, and it's got plenty of room and features.
Not a thanks button there but appreciate it. All advice welcome.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Mine:

That's a 2011 Forest river Flagstaff classic superlite. 831RLBSS

It's only set up for two though really. The second bed pulls out of the couch and has an air mattress. You'll probably want something with a little separate area for your daughter to call her own cubby.

Haven't towed it with the 2016 EB yet, but it has better specs than the truck you see it hooked up to in those pics so I'm not worried at all.

Not sure if you're new to towing or not, but make sure you get a good, quality, weight distributing hitch and take your time to follow the directions and take the time to read the directions and set it up properly.

I use a Husky centerline HD, but equal-i-zer and any other number of good hitches are out there.

A quality, properly set up WDH is the difference between a safe and relaxing tow and a white knuckled "never again" nightmare....

If you do buy, I recommend you pop a few extra bucks for at least one Maxair vent:

There's only one in this pic, but I have three on mine:

There's one on the rear main area vent, the bathroom vent and the forward bedroom vent. Great little things! You can leave the trailer roof vents open while moving without having to worry about the vent cover ripping off. Trailer is fresh and cool when you pull in, not hot and stuffy. Also lets you leave them open in the rain so you get good ventilation while all three of you are cooped up in there breathing out moisture. It's also nice when you're sleeping at night, have the vent open and if it starts raining you don't wake up to splatters on your face.

I also keep a tube of Dicor sealant on hand. It;s what they use to seal the roof seams and components. Lets you pop up and seal a leak if you get caught away from home with a leak. It'll suck getting up there int eh rain, but it will suck more if a wall or roof panel gets water logged. I check the Dicor every spring as well. Check your roof membrane out very closely if you buy used. Most trailer structural problem start with a roof/membrane leak.

Last edited by Great white; 02-22-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Cwprotek (02-22-2017)

Search this Thread