Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travel Trailer advice for a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travel Trailer advice for a Newbie

I'm currently looking at a few used F150s and the intent is to upgrade from a pop up to a travel trailer. We are buying the truck and then will try to find a trailer that will work.

I'm currently looking at a 2012 F150 Platinum with the max towing package. The max payload is 1,930, GVWR of 7,650 and max trailer weight of 11,300. I'd like to be in something like the JayFlight 26BHS which has a GVWR of 7700 and 800 pound dry hitch.

I understand the trailer adds weight to the hitch as it is loaded
1000 for trailer
400 family
100 hitch

That leaves 430 for payload, which doesn't sound like a whole awful lot but, we are used to camping out of a jeep liberty which has little room for gear when you have 2 adults a car seat and 2 dogs. I would also assume most of your gear at that point can go into the trailer? We don't have bikes, ATVs or anything large that we'd want to bring.

A friend of mine is saying i need a 3/4 ton truck for the extra payload and doesn't think this setup would work. Which is fine, as we haven't bought a trailer yet so I can always look for lighter. Just looking for another opinion.

Appreciate any input.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Double check the payload capacity on the door sticker as Platinum's tend to come with a lot of extras and tend not to have that much payload (particularly 1900lbs worth). As for any trailer that interest you multiple the trailers GVWR by 13% (this is an estimate as most tt's fall at 12 to 13% of trailers weight transferred to the truck. Toy haulers are different depending on design and brand). You can calculate the dry tongue weight % by dividing the dry tongue weight by the dry trailer weight to get a more accurate %. With the trailer you list the tongue weight at GVWR would be 1001 lbs. A lot of people will tell the GVWR does not matter as much as that would be the stuff you take, but most people will end up with their TT very close to its GVWR particularly when the tanks are full.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Find a truck that is equipped with the Max Payload instead of the Max Tow package.

A few months ago we were in the exact same position as you... upgrading from a pop-up to a TT. We ignorantly opted for the Max Tow. I've sinced realized that the Max Payload would have been the better choice.
The following users liked this post:
ModelAMike (08-07-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

He could find a truck with the HD PAYLOAD package but its not made for the platinum model and would therefore need to give up quite a few creature comforts. The max tow platinum will handle that trailer. What are you pulling schmenke?
Old 08-06-2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 5land
He could find a truck with the HD PAYLOAD package but its not made for the platinum model and would therefore need to give up quite a few creature comforts. The max tow platinum will handle that trailer. What are you pulling schmenke?
I'm not stuck on a platinum model, but I've yet to find anything with max payload in my area. Do you give up the max towing features with the max payload?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:30 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Agreed, the truck with the highest PAYLOAD and a max tow option is the best way to go. The platinum with a GVWR of 7650 should offer the payload you need, with 19xx, just double check. With that load I would also ensure its equipped with 3:73 gears.
The following users liked this post:
ModelAMike (08-07-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Salerman
I'm currently looking at a 2012 F150 Platinum with the max towing package. The max payload is 1,930, GVWR of 7,650 and max trailer weight of 11,300.

That's a very rare F-150, but Ford did make a few of them.

I'd like to be in something like the JayFlight 26BHS which has a GVWR of 7700 and 800 pound dry hitch.

Ignore dry weights. With GVWR of 7,700 pounds you can count on loading it to around 7,000 pounds. At the average hitch weight of 12.5%, that's 875 pounds hitch weight. At the fully-loaded trailer weight of 7,700 pounds, that's over 960 pounds tongue weight. Worse case would be 7,000-pound gross trailer weight with 15% tongue weight, or 1,050 pounds tongue weight. With GVWR of 7650 pounds, minus tongue weight would leave 6.600 pounds for truck and family and stuff. IOW, a tight fit.

A friend of mine is saying i need a 3/4 ton truck for the extra payload and doesn't think this setup would work.
I disagree with your friend, provided you are willing to load lightly and pay close attention to weights. With the load of the average camping family and the tongue weight of the average 7,000-pound TT, you should be fine. If your engine is the EcoBoost, then you'll have plenty of power to pull the load. With 7,650 GVWR, your F-150 will probably have enough payload capacity to haul your family and stuff plus the hitch weight of the trailer without exceeding the GVWR of your F-150. Be certain you have a good weight-distributing hitch such as a Reese Strait-Line or Equal-I-Zer with enough tension on the spring bars to distribute about 200 pounds of tongue weight back to the trailer axles.

But you don't have payload capacity to waste. Don't add a camper shell or tonneau cover or spray-in bedliner. Haul only the minimum weight of tools and jacks you can get by with. IOW, do as I say, not as I do - I have a camper shell and spray-in bedliner, and haul a heavy toolbox full of tools - just in case. But then I'm overloaded with my small TT that grosses less than 5,000 pounds. Buy a tongue weight scale and know your tongue weight is less than 1,000 pounds. Use the CAT scales often and know that your weight on the two truck axles is less than the GVWR of the F-150, and that the weight on the trailer axles is less than the combined GAWR of the trailer. If that sounds like too much worry and stress, then do as your friend said and get an F-250.

Last edited by smokeywren; 08-08-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by tomb1269
Double check the payload capacity on the door sticker as Platinum's tend to come with a lot of extras and tend not to have that much payload (particularly 1900lbs worth).
You are correct, the dealer kept quoting the ford website when I talked to him on the phone. Once I saw the vehicle the door showed 1600bs for payload.

We were looking at a 2011 Platinum with 70k miles and they also had a 2012 Lariat with 55k (both max towing). The Lariat had all the same bells and whistles as the Platinum, and even had a few the Platinum did not. I test drove both, and the Platinum was stuttering under load. The dealer had their mechanic look and he said they got water in the coils when they washed the truck. I didn't re-drive it but they said they just blew the water out and it was fine.

At the end of the day we really liked the Lariat, and felt like the price was a good deal and drove home F150 owners. The Lariat has a payload around 1550 (don't remember the exact number), which is too low for the original camper specs I stated. We are going to temper our expectations on the travel trailer and scale down to fit our truck. We are not buying this year, so we'll have plenty of time to find the best fit for our wants and the trucks specs.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

1550# is still a good payload. My 2012 EB has 1280#. I tow a 34' TT that is about 7300# loaded. We don't haul a lot of cargo in the truck - put everything in the trailer.
Ours tows fine. Another 250# would make me feel like I had died and gone to heaven.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2013 xlt super crew with max trailer and max tow with cargo capacity is around 1900 lbs. our trailer is a 2014 Jayco 267bhs. It tows great with the econoboost and I couldn't be happier. I will be adding some LT 10 ply tires this fall. No problems on steep grades and no squat in the back at all with 1000lbs of hitch weight.

Quick Reply: Travel Trailer advice for a Newbie