Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid pressure??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 02:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Transmission fluid pressure??

I'd like to install a transmission cooler in front of the radiator. We're moving to a higher altitude, hotter and very mountainous area, and I'll be pulling a 5th wheel camper (under 6000 pounds dry). I found the small OEM transmission cooler at the bottom of the radiator, and was thinking of installing the new one in series as I've done so many times before on cars and trucks since my '64 Olds Dynamic 88. The thing that's throwing me off is the lines and how they connect to the cooler. I'm used to connecting with rubber lines and hose clamps, but these metal lines connect with threaded fittings that look like they could handle a lot more pressure than a hose clamp.

The auxiliary cooler I bought is set up to use the (included) rubber lines and screw clamps. Can I just cut into the metal lines running to the existing cooler, or do I need to use high-pressure connectors? How about if I repurpose the OEM tranny cooler and plumb it in series with the power steering cooler and then plumb the new cooler in series with the cooler in the radiator?
Old 07-18-2019, 01:49 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

The transmission fluid running to the cooler is not high pressure. Threaded fittings are more durable, but the weak point is the rubber hoses, and if they are not shrouded in a stainless mesh wrap (to handle higher pressure), the fittings are just a waste of money. You can cut the lines where the kit instructions indicate, and repurpose the cooler if you like.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks! This goes along with what I was thinking, so it must be right!

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid pressure??