Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny cooler, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tranny cooler, which one?

Hello fellow Ford folks. I have a base 150 XL, a 2003 model with a 4.6. I want to tow a '63 Riviera from Florida to Ohio. I have towed cars many times with this truck without any issues, BUT, the Riv weighs over 4000lbs., plus the weight of the trailer. SO, I am wondering if I should get a transmission cooler. My questions are:

*I assume the radiator won't be adequate to cool the tranny fluid, right?
*Which aftermarket cooler would work best/be easiest to install?

Any advice on specific products or specs will be most appreciated.

Rich in Tampa
Old 04-24-2019, 07:46 AM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Nice Riv ! Have you had issues before with trans temperatures? Hard to answer without all the facts.
I had previously put a B&M supercooler in my Grand Cherokee to aid in cooling the trans. I preferred it because it had a thermostatic bypass built in. Like the current F150s the 8 speed trans in the GC likes to warm up to operate properly. There are varying sizes and doing some internet shopping will net a good price.
https://www.jegs.com/p/B-M/B-M-Super...58370/10002/-1
Or you could get a simple flow-through cooler and install inline at the radiator to increase cooling capacity.

Last edited by Wicked ace; 04-24-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Ace, I did buy a basic unit on ebay, just to add to the cooling capacity. No worry of it being too cool here in Tampa! Thanks again. Rich

Quick Reply: Tranny cooler, which one?