Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer security and alarms

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 AM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Trailer security and alarms

Howdy fellas,

What are you all doing to protect your trailers when the option to keep it behind a fence is not an option? Besides the basics like coupler locks, pin locks, wheel chucks and chains aren't enough?

I'm in the market and have my eyes set on a Stealth Titan SE 7x18 screw-less panels in black, It's a gorgeous trailer and I'm sure thief's will agree..

My current option which I find the most useful will set me back $800 which is steep but will guarantee me restful sleep at night. It's a hard mounted alarm system with a cellular receiver to alert me of movement or vibration and it comes with a siren which I think will work better than locks on deterring low lifes.

What else can be done?
Old 10-12-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

I keep my enclosed car hauler and other trailers in an open storage lot. I ordered the unit custom built and added the HD door clasp to the side entry door so I can add a large pad lock to it. Otherwise the only other physical security is a good quality coupler lock. It's too big to drag down the road without using the coupler. The most likely problem you'll see in an open lot is people walking through (as opposed to entire trailer theft). So some good locks on the doors/hatches and don't leave anything external.

I can't speak for the GPS/alarm system but would have concerns with temp swings and extended battery use when the trailer sits for a long period of time.
The following users liked this post:
Andrade (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

At home, I try to keep another (secure) vehicle parked in front of it, making it harder to get at the hitch.
The following users liked this post:
Andrade (10-12-2015)

Quick Reply: Trailer security and alarms