Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch/towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trailer hitch/towing capacity

I have a 2004 FX-4 with 3.73 rearend and a supposed 9300 lbs. of towing capacity. I need a class IV hitch rated up to 10,000 lbs for towing my 8000 lb boat/trailer/gear. The factory hitch (which is mounted to the bumper and the bumper to the frame-all one piece) is only good for 5,000 lbs.
I had a local aftermarket company inform me that I am screwed because it is all one piece. I either have to get a different bumper with no hitch and have him install the class IV receiver directly to the frame or get a new truck.
Has anyone had the same problem and how were you able to correct?

Rick

Last edited by Rick H; 04-24-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:04 PM

hi Rick what you need is a weight distrubtion hitch head with 10,000lb bars this will put you up to 10,000lbs
don
Old 11-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am new to this forum, but I wanted to tell for those who dont know, the difference between half and three quarter ton rear axles. In short of being a machinist for nearly thirty years here is what I have seen: There is a REASON that wood haulers do not use half ton trucks. All the weight is on the rear flanges of the car style axles. If overloaded, they will snap off and shove the wheel and tire up into your wheel well and you will have an instant 'dually' rear fender added to your pickup bed. This could result in injury or death of yourself or others especially at freeway speeds. On earlier trucks, say from the 70's and 80's a 3/4 ton had a full floater rearend where you could actually pull your axles out of the rear end and the wheels are still on the rig. A half ton cannot do this. Half tons have one rear axle bearing per wheel, 3/4 tons with full float rearends like a Dana 60, have two bearings per rear wheel. To save money, some manufacturers used a beefed up 1/2 ton single bearing style rearend and call it a 3/4 ton. You can tell if you have a full float rearend if the rear hub extends atleast four inches thru the rear rim. I offer this as a benefit to those who still think the difference is springs and ratings as I once did. In my opinion, half ton trucks with excessive springs are a deadly combo. I once loaded 5500 lbs in the back of a half ton and drove it sucessfully to the job site. I was also only 22 years old then, now 48. Dolphin mini motorhomes had a recall on their rigs due to this problem. they actually made dually rear ends on motorhomes and people were breaking flanges on the freeway and crashing. Multimillion dollar recall was the result and a 6000.00 full float rear end was the fix. FYI to those buying trucks. Get a strong rear end with bigger gears= much more truck for the money, or put a 3/4 ton rear end in your half ton as many do.
The following users liked this post:
Dobber64 (01-26-2013)
Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 1,389 Likes on 664 Posts

Not only does your post have nothing to do with the topic but this thread is 4 years old.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by kozal01
Not only does your post have nothing to do with the topic but this thread is 4 years old.
I smell a troll...
Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95stepside
I smell a troll...
Exactly!...All of his posts are the same subject.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Roll Tide

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For some reason this guy just searched towing capacity, and revived a bunch of old threads.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear axle capacity has a lot to do with towing. Sorry if I posted wrong. I was hoping to send this info to those who tow heavy loads. I was trying to be helpful. There are people FOOLISHLY towing heavy fifth wheels with f150's. People could die from this level of ignorance. Towing capacity and ratings dont mean squat if you break an axle! I have before, have you??? I bet most of you criticizing me did not even know what a full floater rear axle was. It is the same style differential semi trucks have. The weight of the load NEVER is on the axle but on the housing. With Half ton trucks the load is always on only the axle flange and the single bearing. Im sorry I thought this was a technical forum not a myspace teeny bopper page. I have had a person message me thanking me for the info. Hope it helps. And as for the twenty year old, I have owned more trucks than you have lived in years, so stop cussing me out. You guys are brutal. Is everyone in the midwest this friendly and inviting? Looks like it.

Last edited by jdbiz; 11-05-2011 at 04:38 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Dobber64 (01-26-2013)
Old 08-02-2015, 02:22 PM

I realize this thread is ancient but I have the same question as the OP. I have the 2004 F150 factory installed 5000# hitch and I need to upgrade to tow an 8000# boat and trailer. I was shocked when my hitch guy told me the same thing. Anybody else have the same problem or can suggest a solution? I might have to buy the new bumper
Old 08-02-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I would get a weight distribution hitch then u should be good to 10000 lbs also must boats I've ever pulled had a low tongue weight now I know that really depends on the boat and trailor setup

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch/towing capacity