Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a trailer brake controller needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a trailer brake controller needed?

I tow a master craft boat with a tandem axle. it has 4 wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Its about 3700 lbs. I would like to know if a trailer brake controller is needed.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 AM

If the trailer has surge breaks the controller is not going to control the brakes on your trailer. Our 92 MasterCraft trailer has surge, and most boat trailers I see at the river are this way. You say they are hydraulic, so I am guessing they are surge, not electric. These type of brakes work well, but are sometimes a pain when backing up because pressure is applied to the master cylinder in the system and the tires lock up. The system will have a by pass though. Hope I helped you out.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Does the tongue of your trailer have the brake actuator built into it? If so, then no, but if your trailer has the electric actuated hydraulics, then yes. The brake controller in your truck is only going to send an electric current to whatever operates your trailer brakes based on how hard you are pushing the brake pedal. If your trailer has the tongue actuated brakes then the movement of the trailer towards your truck when you brake forces the tongue in and operates the hydraulics hence you don't need the electrical signal from the controller. Boat trailers manufacturers tend to stay away from all electric brakes due to the trailer being submerged in water everytime you load and unload your boat.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 AM

That is spot on. If you are not sure post us a picture.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 PM

i think it is surge because it has that sliding mechanism but it has that reverse lockout so we dont need that key to put into the side
Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

^^ All good info and correct. Most boat trailers use surge brakes to avoid water corrosion problems. TBC won't have any effect with surge brake, so you don't need one.

However, if you are buying a new truck, would strongly recommend that you get the integrated brake controller. You might be towing a trailer at some point that will need a TBC, and IMO the integrated models are better than the aftermarket ones. And cheaper when you buy then with the truck than if you add it later.

Quick Reply: Is a trailer brake controller needed?