Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Brake Confusion.. Military Transferring Soon..

Old 06-10-2019, 03:24 PM
Perro del Demonio

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Trailer Brake Confusion.. Military Transferring Soon..

We are a military family and are moving from California to Florida. We have to transfer within a month and have a long way to go and we want to bring some of our "stuff" with us ourselves.

I have been looking to have an Electronic Trailer Brake installed on my 2019 F150 5.0L with Trailer Tow Package, BLIS W/Trailer Tow Monitoring, Pro Trailer Backup Assist. I should have done this when I bought it, but got in a hurry.

I'm finding two part numbers for the controller, and two different prices for the install of one of the part-numbers. I called a dealer and he said the part number for the Controller was JL3Z-19H332-AA, but looking on this forum I see there was reference to a part number JL3Z-2C066-AA. Not sure which is which.

I went to https://accessories.ford.com and they say the price for the JL3Z-19H332-AA at two local dealers is $141.43. But one place is says it costs $156 to install and the other says it's $367 to install. What's the difference? Is one dealer not including programming the computer or something? Still, that doesn't cost $200.

I also read that some newer trucks Have problem fuse panel pin #24. How would I know if mine had that, and if so, should I just have the fuse box replaced?

Lastly, I received a "parts box" when I bought the truck and it has a Trailer Wiring Harness (FL3T-14A348-AA) I've included a picture of that. What do I do with that?

I know this a lot of information, but any and all help would be appreciated. I'm traveling 2,000+ miles with the family and I want to make sure I can use the Electronic Brakes on the Interstate Loadrunner 6x12.Tandem Trailer I bought.

Thanks!

F150 Trailer Wiring Harness. FL3T-14A348-AA

Last edited by Borracho; 06-10-2019 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

That harness is to attach an aftermarket controller. The OEM plugs right in with no special harness, which you can do yourself, but need Forescan to enable it, or have the dealer enable it. As far as the part number, that someone else will need to answer, I haven't needed to buy one.
The following users liked this post:
Borracho (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Right. FORScan or the dealer. 10 minutes either way.
Borracho (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:18 PM
Perro del Demonio

Originally Posted by acdii
That harness is to attach an aftermarket controller. The OEM plugs right in with no special harness, which you can do yourself, but need Forescan to enable it, or have the dealer enable it. As far as the part number, that someone else will need to answer, I haven't needed to buy one.
I could probably figure out how to install it, but I don't want to give the dealer any excuse to void the warranty on the truck. Thanks for the info regarding the harness. Not sure what "Forescan" is, but I assume it's some programming tool. Not sure I want to fiddle with the computer. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 3,164 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Installing the integrated controller yourself does not void any warranties on the truck.

FORScan is super easy to use, you should check it out. Some dealers will have issues with programming because they have to use IDC, which can be a pain if you aren't very familiar with it. As you are having a cheap part installed (not much profit), you won't be getting one of their senior techs.

FORScan is free, the adaptor costs $40-60 once, future FORScan mods will cost nothing, not having to wait for a dealer to fit you in, and then charge hundreds for programming changes.... priceless.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flamingtaco:
Borracho (06-11-2019), Ricktwuhk (06-13-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 11:16 AM
Perro del Demonio

Originally Posted by Flamingtaco
Installing the integrated controller yourself does not void any warranties on the truck.

FORScan is super easy to use, you should check it out. Some dealers will have issues with programming because they have to use IDC, which can be a pain if you aren't very familiar with it. As you are having a cheap part installed (not much profit), you won't be getting one of their senior techs.

FORScan is free, the adaptor costs $40-60 once, future FORScan mods will cost nothing, not having to wait for a dealer to fit you in, and then charge hundreds for programming changes.... priceless.
Thanks for the help. I'm pretty good with my hands, but I don't know if I'd be better than the Dealer at the "IPC" configuration that's required than they would. How long would the part installation and programming take? This is a must not fail scenario for me. BTW, what is the "IDC" the dealers have to use? Is it different than the FORscan scenario? Which Forscan adapter do you recommend?

This is the one I've found listed on this forum. Is it still the latest and greatest?
Forscan Link Amazon Forscan Link Amazon

Also, one dealer selling the part to individuals state the the controller is not a plug and play operation if Pin #24 or something is not there. How could I check for that? I did a search and people talk about it, but I haven't seen any pictures or how too's..

Thanks!

Last edited by Borracho; 06-11-2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Add Link
Old 06-11-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 237 Likes on 136 Posts

Just get it from the dealer who charges less to install. If you let them do it, and they grab the wrong part off the shelf, they'll be able to correct that quickly without a lot of back-and-forth.

I bought mine on-line and programmed it myself, but there is a learning curve for the FORscan software. The installation itself isn't very difficult, but the price difference, I think, comes from the charge to program it. The price difference is just the dealer's opinion of the value of the service, either one will do the exact same work. I have no need for a trailer brake controller, I just didn't like that it wasn't in there. If I ever do need it, I want it installed and ready to go. You've got a mission, though. If you can afford it, let the dealer install it and you'll know it's been done correctly.

Good luck with the move!
Borracho (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 01:06 PM
Perro del Demonio

Originally Posted by Georgia Terrapin
Just get it from the dealer who charges less to install. If you let them do it, and they grab the wrong part off the shelf, they'll be able to correct that quickly without a lot of back-and-forth.

I bought mine on-line and programmed it myself, but there is a learning curve for the FORscan software. The installation itself isn't very difficult, but the price difference, I think, comes from the charge to program it. The price difference is just the dealer's opinion of the value of the service, either one will do the exact same work. I have no need for a trailer brake controller, I just didn't like that it wasn't in there. If I ever do need it, I want it installed and ready to go. You've got a mission, though. If you can afford it, let the dealer install it and you'll know it's been done correctly.

Good luck with the move!
Thanks for the well-wishes! I'll just go with the dealer for now. I'd like to do it myself, if for no other than entertainment value, but I can't risk it right now. I might buy the Forscan device for future use, though. My trailer has electronic brakes, so it's a must have in my truck. Just wish I'd had the foresight to have had it installed right when I bought it. Oh well. Live and learn!

BTW, I'll be heading your way towards the Panhandle of Florida. I understand there is a saying in Florida. "The farther North you go in Florida, the farther south you are." Guess it has to do with all snowbirds in Miami.

Thanks Again!

Last edited by Borracho; 06-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Received 237 Likes on 136 Posts

You'll enjoy the panhandle. And your timing is perfect -- I read today that earthquakes are about to swallow L.A.!
Borracho (06-24-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgia Terrapin
You'll enjoy the panhandle. And your timing is perfect -- I read today that earthquakes are about to swallow L.A.!
We can only hope....
The following 2 users liked this post by PerryB:
13XLTEco (06-18-2019), Borracho (06-24-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Confusion.. Military Transferring Soon..