Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer battery charging

Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default trailer battery charging

Greetings one and all,

I have a 2010 F-150 with the factory trailer tow package.

Looking in my fuse and relay box under the hood I notice all the locations for battery charging are missing either a fuse or relay. Per the owners manuel locations 21,9,and 54 call for a relay or fuse.

Do I need to install all the missing to have my trailer battery charge while driving?

Thanks in advance.

WWR
Old 08-24-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If you've ever seen a baggie with a relay and a couple fuses floating around your truck (in our work trucks its in the glove box) now you know what they're for. If you don't install them, no power to the "battery charge wire". If you don't find them you can either 1. rob the relay and fuses from stuff you're not using. 2. Get them from the dealer or 3. My truck had the 4 wire tow package so I converted mine into a 7 wire tow package and got the relay and fuse of off ebay (cheaper but slower than the dealer).

Last edited by seaeagle2; 08-24-2013 at 05:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wallawallaron (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seaeagle2
If you've ever seen a baggie with a relay and a couple fuses floating around your truck (in our work trucks its in the glove box) now you know what they're for. If you don't install them, no power to the "battery charge wire". If you don't find them you can either 1. rob the relay and fuses from stuff you're not using. 2. Get them from the dealer or 3. My truck had the 4 wire tow package so I converted mine into a 7 wire tow package and got the relay and fuse of off ebay (cheaper but slower than the dealer).

Seagleagle2,

Thanks,
Just found the fuse and relay in glove box in original bag. Will hook up trailer tomorrow and test.

WWR

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trailer battery charging