Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Uhaul Trailer & Cherokee XJ w/o WDH

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Uhaul Trailer & Cherokee XJ w/o WDH

I have a 2014 f-150 Supercab XLT ecoboost with the basic tow package. I'd like to tow my Cherokee which weighs about 3300lbs on a uhaul auto transport that weighs 2200lbs. I'm now learning that means I'll be 500lbs overloaded for the hitch without a WDH. I'll be towing the vehicle across Colorado at fairly low highway speeds (55-60mph) but up and down steep grades.

How dangerous is this? I see a lot of people towing loads which I imagine are much heavier without ever hearing about a hitch breaking. I'm also having a hard time imagining that this load would be dangerous from a handling perspective. My truck will have one passenger and very little additional weight.

It's still less than the weight of the truck and the trailer has surge brakes.

For $100 I can buy a new hitch receiver rated at 6,000lbs. Should I do that?

Old 09-06-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by fromTexasinColorado
I have a 2014 f-150 Supercab XLT ecoboost with the basic tow package. I'd like to tow my Cherokee which weighs about 3300lbs on a uhaul auto transport that weighs 2200lbs. I'm now learning that means I'll be 500lbs overloaded for the hitch without a WDH. I'll be towing the vehicle across Colorado at fairly low highway speeds (55-60mph) but up and down steep grades.

How dangerous is this? I see a lot of people towing loads which I imagine are much heavier without ever hearing about a hitch breaking. I'm also having a hard time imagining that this load would be dangerous from a handling perspective. My truck will have one passenger and very little additional weight.

It's still less than the weight of the truck and the trailer has surge brakes.

For $100 I can buy a new hitch receiver rated at 6,000lbs. Should I do that?
Back the Jeep up until you get 750 - 800 lbs on the tongue. I have just under 750lbs on the hitch with my tractor on the trailer.

Well, I town my 7000lb equipment trailer (loaded) and don't have an ounce of issue doing so. I know, some will shudder when they read this but I've been ok'd by 2 enforcement agencies here, Ford (not in those exact words ) and myself. Ok, let's not include myself. My truck runs level and true pulling it. Now, in saying this...I would NEVER tow a travel trailer with out a WDH. A travel trailer's weight and loading is basically what it is. The equipment trailer can be loaded to suit the truck.

This is my new project She weighs in at about 3900 lbs.

These pics aren't meant to derail the thread. Just to show what load I move with my trailer.

Last edited by Simnut; 09-06-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 100% confidence that the truck could tow more 5,000lbs without issue, but I am just concerned about legal liability if something happens.

I just found a local company that rents a car trailer that weighs 1400lbs. A stock Cherokee is 3300lbs but mine is probably closer to 3600lbs with the larger bumper, winch (synthetic), and heavier wheels and tires. So, its close, but I should be good to go.

Really bummed out that this is an issue, but I should have done my research better when purchasing. Chevrolets are rated for 7,500lbs without a WDH.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by fromTexasinColorado
I have 100% confidence that the truck could tow more 5,000lbs without issue, but I am just concerned about legal liability if something happens.

I just found a local company that rents a car trailer that weighs 1400lbs. A stock Cherokee is 3300lbs but mine is probably closer to 3600lbs with the larger bumper, winch (synthetic), and heavier wheels and tires. So, its close, but I should be good to go.

Really bummed out that this is an issue, but I should have done my research better when purchasing. Chevrolets are rated for 7,500lbs without a WDH.
With the right equipment and options. Are you going by the hitch sticker alone? If so.....the Chevs will probably have the same "restrictions". If you are not over your rear GAWR and/or your payload.........that sticker on the hitch put on by Ford is for their safety and CYA. As told to me by Ford of Canada, the RCMP and the CVSE.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

2013 3.5 max tow 3.73 gears...no problems...

Old 09-06-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 223 Likes on 151 Posts

The 6000lb rated hitch isnt going to do you any good - the 500/5000lb limit is on the truck not the hitch so cross that off the list. Ford is concerned about the weight being taken off the front wheels of the truck not the hitch's ability to carry the weight.

I would personally hook it up and tow it as is. We pull a 525/7000lb boat every weekend and have no problems. Make sure the surge brakes on the UHaul trailer are good, use common sense while pulling it, and you should be ok.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

as above...let the trailer carry the load and pull it...just keep enough tongue weight..
Old 09-06-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 223 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Osborne
as above...let the trailer carry the load and pull it...just keep enough tongue weight..
Not to hijack but damn thats a nice looking XJ. I sold my 97 when I got married. Miss that thing.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 348 Likes on 243 Posts

I towed an '00 XTerra on one of those heavy-as-heck UHaul car haulers to the Ford dealer as the trade-in on my F-150. UHaul didn't like it (the guy at the counter said, "oh, hmm, computer says an F-150 can't tow this...I must have misheard you about your two-fifty, *wink*"), but it was easy enough to handle. I wouldn't be too worried about towing an XJ on a UHaul hauler.

You won't have a lot of wiggle room for tongue-weight adjustment with the way the UHaul trailer is set up, and you may need your own wheel straps if your wheels are substantially larger than stock.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:55 AM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

Don't use a trailer, rent a dolly. They're cheaper and work just fine. I pulled our 2004 Tribute with one almost 1000 miles, about 200 through the Rockies, and never had an issue.

Quick Reply: Towing Uhaul Trailer & Cherokee XJ w/o WDH