Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing TT to Canada and Back

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Towing TT to Canada and Back

My sister lives in New Brunswick and I plan on taking a long road trip in the next couple of years (camping along the way) for an extended visit. Is there anything in particular that I need to be prepared for while crossing the border into Canada or when returning to the states?

Any experience or input that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

I've crossed a bunch of times but never with my TT (once with our popup).

Bring your passport, birth certificates for your kids (passports if they are over 15 or 16, I forget which), rabies paperwork from the vet for your dog.

Leave the firearms and radar detectors at home.

They will ask you where you are going and for how long, they will ask if you are bringing anything into the country that will remain, they will probably ask you if you are bringing any fruits and vegetables. They may ask if you have any criminal record.

Coming back will probably be about the same.

In theory they could spend hours searching your TT and truck. In reality, they will probably take at least a quick look through your TT and so long as all your paperwork is in order, you will be on your way.

I have a friend who insists on calling his insurance company and getting a special insurance card for canada when he goes, I had never heard of that, nor had my wife (who grew up on the border).

Where in NB?
The following users liked this post:
benchwarmer4203 (08-10-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 04:58 PM

That's pretty much what I figured. I just didn't know if anyone had any major horror stories that'd make me want to try to plan a different kind of trip. Thanks for the input.

She lives near Miramachi.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:41 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

You'll definitely need your passport to get BACK into the US. If you call your insurance company, they'll send you a Canadian proof of insurance card. I asked for one once, and my insurance company just automatically sends me one every year. At some crossings they may want to verify you bring the trailer back out of the country. Usually it's US citizens, purpose of your trip, any alcohol, firearms or tobacco. If you have a DUI, felony conviction, you probably will be denied entry.....
Old 08-08-2015, 08:53 AM

I've been a few times; but ever needed the "out of country" proof of insurance. Honestly, I had never heard of it until I started researching pulling the TT over the border. Coming back into the U.S. is always worse for me. Armed guard with an automatic rifle versus a nice lady in a sweater vest telling me to enjoy my visit, haha. The last time I went I had a small tool chest in the trunk of the car because I was doing some work on my sister's house for her. It was pretty stressful when they started questioning its contents. There's so much more storage in a TT...that's what makes me a little apprehensive.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

I went to friends house on Lake Huron in Ontario, dragging the TT. They are very gunshy up there. They asked if I had any guns with me and I said no. Then they asked if I owned any guns, and I said yes, I own rifles, shotguns and a 9mm automatic pistol. So they decided to search every cubic inch of the TT looking for a gun of any kind. They searched for about an hour, then gave up and let us into Canada.

So be darned sure you don't have any guns with you, and be sure you don't have any ammo either.

And yes, you now need a passport to get back into the USA. New regulation a couple of years ago.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I cross the U.S.-Canada border 4-6 times a year and I have rarely been stopped or searched. Here is what I know;

Bring passport(s) for everyone in the vehicle. ANYONE can get a passport, even children.

If you bring a pet than bring documentation showing that their shots are up to date.

DO NOT bring food or wood as the rules often change as for what is and what is not admissible and you will not keep up to these changes

DO NOT bring tools that could lead them to believe that you are a contractor.

DO NOT bring any sort of firearm or any related items. No scopes, no mounts, no ammunition no nothing. This includes large heavy hunting knives.

If you do reach the border and you suddenly remember that you made a boo-boo than tell them IMMEDIATELY. If you admit that you have a gun and that it was forgotten from your last hunting trip than they will give you reasonable options. If they find it they will turn you around and bar you from re-entering the country. They will then turn you over to U.S. customs who will then gladly tear you a new a-hole.

When you hit the Canadian customs officer and his little shack make sure that all of your windows are down, all sunglasses are off, all documents are ready and in hand. Make sure that you stop the truck fully than put it in park and shut off the engine. Make sure that all animals are leashed, muzzled (if need be) and under control. DO NOT get out of the vehicle unless instructed. Always use sir and ma-am when addressing the officer. Be polite and to the point but not too friendly...no jokes.

DO NOT lie. These people see a dozen lairs a day and they will sniff you out and once they sniff that something is wrong than they can do anything they want including a full round of cavity searches for every person in the vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boulevard:
benchwarmer4203 (08-10-2015), ModelAMike (08-11-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Good advice Boulevard. We cross the border many times a year and pretty much follow those rules.

One thing about food: anything fresh or raw is probably a no-no, depending upon the officer. But frozen, canned, packaged, processed stuff has always seemed ok.

And a question to anybody: a lot of hunters come up to Canada every year. Surely they bring their own rifles? There must be some way to get them across the border and back again?
Old 08-10-2015, 01:45 PM

This is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for, thanks everyone.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

We've crossed a number of times and never had an issue with fresh food (i.e. cooler full of food). Also, a few states, including Michigan, issue an Enhanced Driver's License which allows you to cross the border without a passport. These are good for Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean via land, or sea (not air). Much smaller cost than a passport, but only a viable option for those living in border states that can acquire one.
ModelAMike (08-11-2015)

Quick Reply: Towing TT to Canada and Back