Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing specifics on F150 2.7L

Old 04-24-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing specifics on F150 2.7L

Please excuse me if this is a simple question or has already been answered. I searched and could not find what I am trying to figure out. I'm going to purchase a F150 Super Crew 4x4 with the 2.7L Ecoboost. I'm trying to determine what components differ when you add the tow package. I know that the brochure states you get a heavier duty front sway bar and an auxiliary transmission cooler plus the backup assist option. When I looked at the trucks on the lot all the 2.7L models had a trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator whether or not they had the tow package. So the brochure and website is a little misleading if the 2.7L all come with them. Unless there is another somewhere else? I checked the Ford parts diagrams and I can only find one transmission cooler. So basically my question is what are you getting extra when you select the tow option package. I could probably live without the backup assist feature. I'm more curious what mechanical items are changed when you jump to the tow package with the 2.7L.

I also compared the Ford build sheets for two trucks on the lot; one with tow package and one without. The only difference I could tell was the one with tow package called out as heavy duty tow and the other one showed medium duty tow. Hopefully others have had this question. Thanks in advance. Hoping soon to be a proud owner.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing to ask is what do you plan on towing? This is just my opinion but I wouldn't buy an F-150 if you plan on towing a good size travel trailer or especially a fifth-wheel. I don't mean to scare you off but buy a bigger truck if you have that option. Maybe you don't and that's ok, but do your research, look at your trucks payload and make sure all the numbers are right. Remember that the dealers will sell you anything and don't believe the sticker that says '1/2-ton towable', because it may not be. We desperately wanted a fifth-wheel and more than one dealer told us 'oh yeah no sweat, you can tow that' but once we added up the weights, I would've been overloaded and therefore unsafe on the road.
Good luck and happy RVing!
Old 04-25-2016, 01:50 AM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman
The first thing to ask is what do you plan on towing? This is just my opinion but I wouldn't buy an F-150 if you plan on towing a good size travel trailer or especially a fifth-wheel. I don't mean to scare you off but buy a bigger truck if you have that option. Maybe you don't and that's ok, but do your research, look at your trucks payload and make sure all the numbers are right. Remember that the dealers will sell you anything and don't believe the sticker that says '1/2-ton towable', because it may not be. We desperately wanted a fifth-wheel and more than one dealer told us 'oh yeah no sweat, you can tow that' but once we added up the weights, I would've been overloaded and therefore unsafe on the road.
Good luck and happy RVing!
Well said. Plan not just on what you plan on towing in the next year, but what you might plan to tow for the next few years. In addition to towing, how many people and how much maximum "stuff" in the truck bed. After you answer these questions, you go to the ford capacities website http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/ and find the truck that is 10 to 20% more capable than what you plan to do maximum. That will decide the truck, trim level, and engine for you. Remember, the more the options you select, the lower the payload rating and towing capacity. The figures on the website are maximum available for as stripped-down truck with few options. Take your time and read these forums. You will see many who have bought their truck almost as an impulse purchase and a month later are posting here asking how to increase their truck's capabilities. Play with the Ford build a vehicle website until you know it better than your salesman. Don't settle for less vehicle that you want, even if you have to search out-of-state.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:07 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian V
I'm going to purchase a F150 Super Crew 4x4 with the 2.7L Ecoboost. I'm trying to determine what components differ when you add the tow package.

Without the trailer tow pkg 53A you won't have a receiver hitch, 7-pin connector near the receiver, or auxiliary tranny cooler. Yes, all F-150 have a tranny cooler, but you need the auxiliary if you are going to tow more than a rowboat. Are you sure that heat exchanger you saw was the auxiliary (oil to air) tranny cooler?

The 2.7L EcoBoost drivetrain is relatively new. Unlike the other models, it does not have enough payload capacity to haul a normal trailer along with normal people and stuff in the cab. So be certain your F-150 2.7L also has the 2.7L EcoBoost Payload Pkg (622). That gives you not only more payload capacity for hitch weight, but also the 3.73 e-locker axle and the 9.75" rear axle for pulling that weight. Don't leave home without the 622 package.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 264 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Without the trailer tow pkg 53A you won't have a receiver hitch, 7-pin connector near the receiver, or auxiliary tranny cooler. Yes, all F-150 have a tranny cooler, but you need the auxiliary if you are going to tow more than a rowboat. Are you sure that heat exchanger you saw was the auxiliary (oil to air) tranny cooler?

The 2.7L EcoBoost drivetrain is relatively new. Unlike the other models, it does not have enough payload capacity to haul a normal trailer along with normal people and stuff in the cab. So be certain your F-150 2.7L also has the 2.7L EcoBoost Payload Pkg (622). That gives you not only more payload capacity for hitch weight, but also the 3.73 e-locker axle and the 9.75" rear axle for pulling that weight. Don't leave home without the 622 package.

Guess we need to define what a "normal" trailer is
Old 04-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
Guess we need to define what a "normal" trailer is

Normal small TT has GVWR of 6,000 to 7,000 pounds, with wet and loaded tongue weight of 750 to 1,000 pounds. It's that tongue weight that will get you.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

I wonder though, the 5.0 base with tow has the smaller axle, same transmission and springs. Only has about 10 lbft of torque more, why is the towing capacity higher, and I guess a higher payload?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the replies. My real interest is what changes on the F150's Super Crew with the 2.7L engine when you add the tow package. From everything I reviewed on the parts website it appears to be just a solid front sway bar with the tow package. Unless there is another trans cooler on the vehicle, both 2.7L with and without tow package had a trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator. Shocks, springs, axles, radiator all where the same for the vehicles on the parts site. So if anyone know what changes mechanically besides what I stated please chime in. Thanks.

I really just want to know if I every need to tow something greater than 5000lbs in the future what I need to change. For now I don't need the extra tow capacity.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by SKBORDERS
I wonder though, the 5.0 base with tow has the smaller axle, same transmission and springs. Only has about 10 lbft of torque more, why is the towing capacity higher, and I guess a higher payload?
Because ford doesnt want the 2.7 to cannibalize 3.5EB sales. The 2.7 makes nearly as much power as the 3.5 in real life, regardless of the hp and torque numbers ford puts out, so I believe they neutered the 2.7's towing specs to differentiate the two motors.

http://www.fordf150blog.com/2-7-lite...-chevy-5-3-v8/

It makes more power and torque than GM's 5.3L across the board which was rated at 355hp and 383 ft-lbs.

The 5.0 does have more hp than the 2.7 so in terms of pure pulling power it is a little bit better. That said the 2.7 has the low end torque so it probably does as good of a job 99% of the time.

Last edited by mass-hole; 04-25-2016 at 09:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jason_Larsen (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 01:37 AM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Smokey answered your packing question

For why the 2.7 rated so low its all marketing and up selling. Doubtful the 3.5 cost more then the 2.7 to produce but they charge you a lot more. Compare a 5.4 from the past and the 2.7 is just as capable. From my experience towing with the 2.7 at its limit is the rear suspension and shock are too soft. I sold my trailer and got a motorhome so I love the way my F150 rides. I added a set of air bags and it fixed the soft rear. Still waiting for aftermarket shocks to be available.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing specifics on F150 2.7L