Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing single axle TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 147 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Towing single axle TT

Any experience towing a single axle travel trailer vs double? We have a 19ft R vision super sport dbl axle no slide and am looking for something in similar length but with a slide. So far all I see are single axle Wolf pup 18to, i think its 18ft. Just seems cheesy with only one axle. Input? Concerns?
The following users liked this post:
CrankCase (04-29-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by nlitend1
We have a 19ft R vision super sport dbl axle no slide and am looking for something in similar length but with a slide.?
Your best bet for small tandem axle TT with a slide is probably the Winnebago Micro Minnie 1808 FBS. Two 3,700 pound axles, one "super Slide", GVWR 7,000 pounds. @ 20' long, it's only a smidgen loner than your current trailer. Dry weight 3,560, so I'll bet you can make that work.
https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...nie/floorplans
Old 04-28-2019, 09:28 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I had a single axle enclosed trailer before moving up to a tandem. The single axle was so bouncy. It was a good one too with Dexter torsion axle. When we moved up to the tandem, it was day and night better towing experience

id do anything possible to avoid a single axle camper. All the interior items being sling shot into the air on every little bump
Old 04-28-2019, 10:51 PM

Received 147 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by untraceable
I had a single axle enclosed trailer before moving up to a tandem. The single axle was so bouncy. It was a good one too with Dexter torsion axle. When we moved up to the tandem, it was day and night better towing experience

id do anything possible to avoid a single axle camper. All the interior items being sling shot into the air on every little bump
Good.point I'm the bounce. I have a 6x10 tool trailer that does that. It does seem most small trailer similar in size to what we have now are all singles.

Money in not an issue for this purchase so maybe have to spend more to get a " better" trailer.

Cant do a side to side bed. To cramped for me. Like what I have now.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:16 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

We've been towing a single axle Coachmen Apex Nano for a couple years now. Absolutely no problems. It's light, but as with all TT's, it's the stupid aerodynamic drag that sucks the most.

Our single isn't bouncy at all. I also see lots of folks with those RPods, and they all seem to love 'em (single axle).

Most single axle TT's will have a decent suspension on them, and when you put weight in, it gets better.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:46 AM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Our funfinder 189FDS was 18'9" tip to tail with two 3500lb axles and a slide. With its higher than average tongue weight it towed like a dream and was always super stable.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:33 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
We've been towing a single axle Coachmen Apex Nano for a couple years now. Absolutely no problems. It's light, but as with all TT's, it's the stupid aerodynamic drag that sucks the most.

Our single isn't bouncy at all. I also see lots of folks with those RPods, and they all seem to love 'em (single axle).

Most single axle TT's will have a decent suspension on them, and when you put weight in, it gets better.
those Apex Nanos are awesome units. Looked at them hard before finding a barely used passport. I’m sure the further back the axle is from the hitch, the better they tow. It was just such a dramatic difference in our enclosed that lead me away from singles
Old 04-29-2019, 01:21 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

The only good thing about a single axle is backing them up. To get rid of the bounce takes a lot of weight. Some single axles are sprung too heavily and bounce all over the road unless they are weighted down properly, especially torsion axles, they ride best with weight. My 6X12 enclosed I added about 250 pounds to it with 5/8" plywood walls and a CVT floor, rides much better empty than it did when I first got it, which is important for ferrying my fragile planes around in. It is still bouncy over rough roads, so have to be careful not to drive too fast on them.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:55 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by nlitend1
Cant do a side to side bed.
DW agrees with you. Crawling around on the bed to make it up is not for her. So sticking with the Winnbago MicroMinnie, move over to the model 2106FBS. Same 7k GVWR on tandem axles, 3,705 dry weight still allows you to tow it with the same tow vehicle. It's a tad longer at 21' 11". And it has your walk-around front bed.

https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...nie/floorplans

Last edited by smokeywren; 04-29-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Bed, you mean cloth covered springs! LOL I got fed up with the one in mine. Not even a 2" Memory foam could make it comfortable, and also made it difficult to get in and out of, so bought a new 10" memory foam mattress. Much easier to get around on, and more comfortable (i hope) to sleep on.

Downside, it weighs about 50 pounds more. GEEZ those things are heavy! I took the cloth covered spring "mattress" and folded it in half and stuck it in the tack room of my horse trailer.

oh, got sidetracked, what is this thread about? Oh, yeah, what Smokey said.

Quick Reply: Towing single axle TT