Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing settings for a 2015 F-150 super crew lariat 3.5 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing settings for a 2015 F-150 super crew lariat 3.5 Ecoboost

I have a 2015 F-150 super crew lariat 3.5 Ecoboost with some factory towing package on it ... I just purchased a camper and need help with any settings that I need to do in the truck ... can someone please tell me what settings I need to do in the truck to haul a camper?

thanks
Old 03-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Ford pretty much takes care of you. Just remember to put the tranny in tow/haul mode every time you get in the truck.

You said "camper". Is it a slide-in truck camper or an RV travel trailer?

Either way, your biggest problem is payload capacity. You don't want to exceed the payload capacity of your F-150. So find a good truck scale and weigh the wet and loaded rig, including a full tank of gas. Add the weights on the two truck axles to get GVW. Compare the GVW to the GVWR of the F-150.

The 3.5L EcoBoost will haul heavy loads using regular gas, but it will be much happier and get better MPG with premium gas. I use regular when not towing, but plan ahead and try to get close to empty on gas then fill up with premium before I tie onto a trailer.

If your camper is a trailer, then you need a good weight-distributing (WD) hitch. Don't buy a cheap hitch. Be sure it's one of these:

1] Reese Strait-Line
2] Blue Ox SwayPro
3] Equal-I-Zer
4] Husky CenterLine HD (not the cheaper TS)

Blue Ox and Equal-I-Zer don't make cheap hitches, so anything with their name on it will do. But Reese and Husky both make cheap hitches, so be sure you get a Strait-Line or CenterLine HD if you get one of those brands.

You want the WD hitch designed for at least the most hitch weight you might ever have. Too high a tongue weight (TW) rating is better than too low. Compute the max TW you night ever have as 15% of the trailer's maximum gross weight (GVWR, or shipping weight plus cargo carrying capacity (CCC)), then add 100 pounds for the weight of the WD hitch.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

You may also want to check in your settings to make sure your trailer sway control is on.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Settings

Thanks to both of you ... are there any more settings that I need to change in the truck? I recall there being an "Add Trailer" or "add camper" in the truck settings but I'm not sure what it does. Am I suppose to just put the truck in drive and go? ....
Old 03-05-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

From your questions.....i dont wanna be anywhere near......read owners manual....youtube and practice before getting anything you may not be able to handle....
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Osborne
....read owners manual....

Yeah, my reply assumed you have read and will comply with everything in the owner's manual concerning towing, tow/haul mode, integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC), electronic trailer sway control, etc.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

I towed this to work early am.i knew the time/traffic etc.....and only because it was my first tow this long.....check for how it was going to handle and how i would as well.....
Attached Thumbnails Towing settings for a 2015 F-150 super crew lariat 3.5 Ecoboost-fb_img_1488759096828.jpg   Towing settings for a 2015 F-150 super crew lariat 3.5 Ecoboost-fb_img_1488759078220.jpg