Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Packages

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing Packages

I have been considering upgrading from my 2008 F150 with the 4.6 to a new ecoboost model because I feel like it would be a better choice for towing my boat. I have mostly looked online so far because I'm not quite ready and want to be prepared when the time comes. But I'm a little confused about something.

My door sticker on my truck has a gvwr of 6700. It doesn't have a payload sticker but doing some research it appears to be in the neighborhood of 1670. I have read a bunch of detailed threads about towing limits and payload etc. and it basically comes down to payload for my current situation.

So when looking online, you can pull up the window sticker for the trucks at a given dealership from their inventory. My 2008 window sticker says nothing about towing and in fact I added the hitch. The new ones will say 2.7 eco boost with tow mod. But if you look in the body of the sticker, it says 6250 gvwr package. I'm confused because my current truck says 6700 on the sticker. Is this the difference between the all steel truck and the aluminum bed? I was under the impression I would gain a little bit of payload with the new truck.

I'm looking primarily at XL level trucks because I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as I can. I know there are different tow packages but why would it say tow mod and not have an increase and possibly a decrease in capacity from my 4.6?

Just looking for some info from the knowledge base.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi.
I just put an order for a 2018 XLT Screw, 4x2, 6 1/2 cab, V8 and the main reason for buying it is towing.
I choose the V8 and added the heavy payload package, which give me the 3.73 rear axle and increased payload.
The stated GVWR for that combination is 7850lbs so the payload will be closer to 3000 lbs.
The 7850lbs is stated on the order summary I got.
You are right about payload.
If you tow a 10K lbs trailer and it has a 1K lbs tongue weight, you are left with only 670 lbs for all the rest, including people, if your payload is 1670.....
Also, I found out that the 6 1/2 cab version have a higher payload limit than the 5 1/2.
That is the reason I ordered the way I ordered, so I can get 10800 lbs max towing with close to 3000lbs payload, since we are thinking about a 5th wheel with a tongue weight of 1500lbs....
That configuration (screw with 6 1/2 bed and max payload package) should not be common since the dealer said he searched the entire US and could not find one in stock, the reason I had to order...

Last edited by RACarvalho; 06-26-2017 at 11:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jacksson (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacksson
My door sticker on my truck has a gvwr of 6700. It doesn't have a payload sticker but doing some research it appears to be in the neighborhood of 1670. I have read a bunch of detailed threads about towing limits and payload etc. and it basically comes down to payload for my current situation.

So when looking online, you can pull up the window sticker for the trucks at a given dealership from their inventory. My 2008 window sticker says nothing about towing and in fact I added the hitch. The new ones will say 2.7 eco boost with tow mod. But if you look in the body of the sticker, it says 6250 gvwr package. I'm confused because my current truck says 6700 on the sticker. Is this the difference between the all steel truck and the aluminum bed? I was under the impression I would gain a little bit of payload with the new truck.
The GVWR doesn't tell the whole story on payload, unless you are comparing very similar trucks. Payload is GVWR - Vehice Weight. If you want to know what your current truck's payload is now, weigh it and subtract that number from the GVWR (6700). But remember, anything you put in the truck (passenges, stuff in the console/glove box, tool box, floor mats, etc) will deduct from available payload.

When F-150s went to the aluminium body in 2015 (not just an aluminum bed), the trucks got quite a bit lighter. The GVWR's also went down, but in general, the truck's actual weight when down more than the GVWR, so payload still increased. The standard 2.7EB has a lower GVWR (and among other things, a smaller rear axle), than most of the 5.0 and 3.5EB trucks. You can get a 2.7 Payload Package, which brings the GVWR up to match the larger engines (around 6800#s IIRC).

A lot of what you'll need is going to depend on what you intend to tow, how big is your boat? But me personally, I would want a truck with a real tow package (F-150 base tow package is little more than a receiver hitch added).
The following 2 users liked this post by jp360cj:
Jacksson (06-26-2017), Magnetic157 (06-28-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jp360cj
When F-150s went to the aluminium body in 2015 (not just an aluminum bed), the trucks got quite a bit lighter. The GVWR's also went down, but in general, the truck's actual weight when down more than the GVWR, so payload still increased. The standard 2.7EB has a lower GVWR (and among other things, a smaller rear axle), than most of the 5.0 and 3.5EB trucks. You can get a 2.7 Payload Package, which brings the GVWR up to match the larger engines (around 6800#s IIRC).

).

I guess that is what I was getting at without doing a ton of searching. If the weight of the new trucks is 500lbs or more lighter than my current truck then I'm still gaining some ground.

And I'd love to have as much capacity as I can find but it seems anything above a standard towing package is very hard to find. Especially when you have budget limitations.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I suspect your main limitation in selection is your XL level specification. Up it to XLT and you'll find tons of them.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

As for cost, the V8 is $1000 less than the 3.5 ecoboost ...
The Heavy payload package costs $2695 though... (but it includes the heavy tow package)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jp360cj
The GVWR doesn't tell the whole story on payload, unless you are comparing very similar trucks. Payload is GVWR - Vehice Weight. If you want to know what your current truck's payload is now, weigh it and subtract that number from the GVWR (6700). But remember, anything you put in the truck (passenges, stuff in the console/glove box, tool box, floor mats, etc) will deduct from available payload.

A lot of what you'll need is going to depend on what you intend to tow, how big is your boat? But me personally, I would want a truck with a real tow package (F-150 base tow package is little more than a receiver hitch added).

Does anyone know why the GVWR went down for the aluminum trucks? I've been curious this myself. If they had the same GVWRs we would have so much more payload. I almost feel like they lowered the rating simply to keep a larger gap between the 150 and 250 trucks.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 PM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnetic157
Does anyone know why the GVWR went down for the aluminum trucks? I've been curious this myself. If they had the same GVWRs we would have so much more payload. I almost feel like they lowered the rating simply to keep a larger gap between the 150 and 250 trucks.
Based on previous random research, I might be wrong here...

When Ford went aluminum, I think they "subsidized" the cost by going a bit smaller on some other suspension/frame/etc components. If the trucks weigh 700lbs less they can "undersize" some other components to offset the aluminum cost.

All else equal, aluminum would have added 700lbs to every payload, but the numbers don't tell that story.