Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing more than 5,000lbs on F-150 without TT or Max Trailer Packages

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Towing more than 5,000lbs on F-150 without TT or Max Trailer Packages

Hello,

I understand the max towing capacity of my F-150 is 7,500 lbs. I also understand as per the manual Ford recommends to NOT tow more than 5,000 lbs if the vehicle is not equipped with the trailer tow package or max trailer package, and to contact the dealer so as not to void the warranty and for specifics.

I was wondering if folks could chime in and provide details on how to tow more than 5,000lbs on a vehicle not equipped with the trailer tow package or the max trailer package from Ford.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Have you read any of the many similar threads? Basically:

1) Read your Payload sticker

2) Determine what you can tow, then IF that is enough for what you want to tow.

3) Determine if your truck is equipped for that, and if so get a weight distribution hitch for more than 5,000 pounds. You need to post info about your truck to determine that.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:51 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by samyslk230
I was wondering if folks could chime in and provide details on how to tow more than 5,000lbs on a vehicle not equipped with the trailer tow package or the max trailer package from Ford.

Sure.

You need to install aftermarket parts that will approximate those parts that are part of the tow pkg.

1] Receiver hitch rated for 10,000 pounds WD (with a weight distributing hitch). Easiest way is to replace the center of the rear bumper with the "reinforcement" that includes the receiver hitch.

2] Trailer plug wiring harness. Talk to the folks at e-trailer.com to learn the parts needed to do this. Be sure it includes the plug under the steering wheel for the trailer brake controller to plug into.

3]MOST IMPORTANT! Auxiliary transmission cooler. You can buy all the parts to install the OEM factory cooler from your dealer's parts department. If you ignore the tranny cooler requirement, you can expect to be replacing the automagic tranny real soon now.

Last edited by smokeywren; 09-27-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Before you talk to etrailer, do yourself favor and if you have a 4 wire trailer harness, follow it back to the spare tire and see if there's a 7 wire harness that the 4 wire is plugged into, then you can use oem stuff.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:16 PM
Grumpy Old Man

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...ents-rear-scat

The above link is to the parts of the rear bumper of my 2012. You didn't say what year is your F-150 so I guessed it's the same as mine. Notice there are three different "reinforcement" part #7. One is the for normal towing package, one is for the max tow pkg, and the other one is the one you have - without a receiver.

Here's the one you want:
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...=reinforcement

The auxiliary tranny cooler is over my pay grade. I know you have the oil-to-water tranny cooler in the bottom of the radiator, but I don't know how many of the other parts you need to add and connect the auxiliary (oil-to-air) cooler. I'd probably just have my Ford dealer install it with whatever parts are required.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:20 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by seaeagle2
Before you talk to etrailer, do yourself favor and if you have a 4 wire trailer harness,....

Yeah, he does have the ball mount in the rear step bumper, so maybe he also has the 4-pin trailer plug.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's a link to my post on adding a transmission cooler (2010)

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/added-...cooler-217865/

Quick Reply: Towing more than 5,000lbs on F-150 without TT or Max Trailer Packages