Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing: Level Lift, Airbags, Class IV hitch for 17?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing: Level Lift, Airbags, Class IV hitch for 17?

Just picked up a 17 F150 with the 3.5 EB and Max Tow package. I tow a boat that weighs 7400 as towed (cat scale) with a tounge weight around 650.

I would prefer a level look on the truck when not towing, but don't want the *** in the weeds when I hook a trailer up. If I installed airbags (firestone is what I am thinking), could I get a level look on the truck when not loaded, or would I need a level lift too?

Also don't really want to run a wight distributing hitch, so was looking for a class IV that could handle 10k/1k. Not really finding any for the 17s except for one Curt that is designed to install under the factory hitch, which I didn't like. Can anyone suggest one for a 17?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking for a heavy duty hitch ball mount? Check out Bulletproohitches.com. Their products well exceed what you can tow with a F150. 22k/3k or 30k/6k. Excellent quality. I went with the 4" drop/rise for my 17, max tow, F4X, 3.5 EB.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Thanks.

I wasn't very specific there. I meant a receiver. My boat tows great behind 1500 series trucks and don't need weight distribution, just want to be legal.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The max tow package receiver on your new F-150 is just that - the maximum you can tow. The hitch ball mount does make a difference, as some do not match the specifications of the max tow package. Bulletproof Hitches makes a ball mount hitch for your receiver that exceeds the ratings of your max tow package.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I tow about 8000 on a regular basis . I ordered a curt hitch for the heavier tounge rating
But have not installed yet and to be honest the factory hitch is mounted with more hardware and reenforcement then the curt . I don't use weight distribution either since I can adjust my hitch weight by where I put my tractor. As far as leveling and loading goes
I removed the factory block from under the springs . This lowered the rear about 1.5 inches
Then I installed Helliwigg EZ 990 Spring helpers they only come in to play when loaded.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

I just ordered 2k lb helper bags for my truck.
Don't tow often and found after some research that the 5k lb bags will stiffen up the rear of the truck when not towing and they are excessive for what I tow.
20' all steel car hauler
Also have May Tow and leveling details in my sig. I'm using a regular Curt 2" drop hitch.
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-10-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I suggest you lay down and read the sticker on your receiver, which can handle exactly what you specified.

As noted, you will need to ensure that the ball and ball mount need to meet your specs.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
I suggest you lay down and read the sticker on your receiver, which can handle exactly what you specified.

As noted, you will need to ensure that the ball and ball mount need to meet your specs.

You mean the sticker that clearly reads not to tow over 5k LBS without a weight distributing hitch? The same sticker that was on my 3/4 ton burb with the 8.1l and the 12k + tow rating?

YES - that sticker is the point of this question. I DO NOT WANT A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH to tow a boat with. Therefore, I need to replace the receiver that came on the truck (with the max tow package) with at least a class IV receiver that can handle 7500 Lbs with 650lbs of tongue weight.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts

Look here, there are a few there that should cover what your looking for.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_Ford_F-150.htm
Old 04-12-2017, 12:57 PM

Ok so here is what I was able to figure out after calling multiple dealerships, ETrailer, Curt, local hitch shops, etc.

Ford considers the receiver on the truck to be a "Bumper Reinforcement", so to replace it with almost any hitch on the market, you have to buy the "Bumper Reinforcement" part from ford for trucks without a factory hitch, take apart the entire backend of the truck and replace the factory receiver with the new part, and then you can install an aftermarket one. I think this part retails for around $250-300.

Curt makes one hitch that actually installs right under the factory one. Looks terrible imo, but it is the easiest solution:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201733000

According to Ford's brochure for the 17 all trucks with a hitch get a class iv, but nobody can tell me the real weight rating for it.

My plan got check-mated by my boat trailer which says not to use weight distribution anyway. Truck says I have to, trailer MFG says not too, can't wait to hear what the laywers say when some *****hat rear-ends me at a stoplight and gets sue happy.