Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Capacity and vehicle upgrades for towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Towing Capacity and vehicle upgrades for towing

2013 F150 / 5.0L V8 / SCREW / Wheelbase 145 / L9 axle - 3.55 / Non-HD Towing Package / GVWR 7350 / GCWR 14500 / Tow Rating 7700 / Rear GAWR 4050 lb / 275/55R20

I want to tow a travel trailer with a dry weight of 5602 lbs, est. (Hitch weight 678) - Forest River Surveyor 294QBLE. We will be pulling a minimum of 14 times per year. The average trip is between 80 & 400 miles.

Using an excel towing calculator which:
adds to vehicle - the weight of Gas / People / Cargo / Hitch
adds to trailer - the weight of options / battery / propane / cargo / fluids

It calculates the Actual GCVW = 12,981 (96.16% of Capacity)
Final GVWR = 7470 (120 lbs over)
The calculator explains that anything over 90% as causing excessive wear & tear and as being unsafe.

Questions:
1) What is the real-world towability of this trailer with my truck? Must be able to tow it in the Smokies, at or around Knoxville, TN. Don't want to kill my truck in the process.

2) Are there upgrades that I can do to increase my towing capacity?
My first thought was changing the gearing to 3.73 (several forums on that)
My second thought was swapping the axle for the HD axle used on the 15 or newer trucks. I know the 15 truck with the same 3.55 has a 9000 tow rating.

3) Wanting to switch the tires to 285/55R20. The 10 ply tire has 1000 lbs per tire more load capacity. Is it even necessary when the GAWR is only 4050 lbs. My current tire's load rating (4 ply) is 2403, or 4806 total. Wouldn't the axle give before the wheels?

Advise!

Note: trading the truck is not an option. I just purchased it last weekend. Please, no 3/4 & 1 ton trading talk I just want to know what I can do realistically to safely pull a trailer.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:26 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Can you put more weight in the trailer? That could put you closer to GVW. Many towers on here have sung the praises of LT tires for towing near capacity. They are stiffer and so give a more secure ride. I would try that first and see how you like it. I doubt you are overloaded enough to matter. But you have no room for extra.
Are you 4WD? If so and you change your rear axle ratio, you'll also have to change the front.
The following users liked this post:
acanania (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
Can you put more weight in the trailer?
Are you 4WD? If so and you change your rear axle ratio, you'll also have to change the front.
If we were to buy the trailer my plan would be to load more wieght in the trailer in order to with GVR. At this point I am trying to consider if it is even an option. We have looked at several microlite and expandable trailers (under 5000 lbs) that seems to be the only wieght range that we can make the numbers work with. However, we are a family of 4 and we are really consered with size in regards to having enough space for the kids on rainy days.

And yes it is a 4wd. That is why I was curious about the axle swap and staying with the same gear ratio. But it looks like the other axle is a 7 lug??
Old 07-31-2016, 11:38 PM

Well mine is 7 lug but it is a HD payload package. I think for this gen of truck all the 9.75 are 7 lug. How about the smaller trailer and a tent to carry for putting junk in on rainy days? Give you more room in the trailer.

Really love mine. Will tow 9,300lb (rated) and carry 2,200lb. It is long though.
I love to tell people to count the lugs.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
Well mine is 7 lug but it is a HD payload package. I think for this gen of truck all the 9.75 are 7 lug. How about the smaller trailer and a tent to carry for putting junk in on rainy days? Give you more room in the trailer.

Really love mine. Will tow 9,300lb (rated) and carry 2,200lb. It is long though.
I love to tell people to count the lugs.
I have the 9.75 but only have 6 lugs. L9 axle.

I have not thought about the tent idea. I will have to give that some consideration.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:32 PM

I can tell you my HDPP 7 lug rear axle is rated for 4,800 lb. I have read it has larger axles (which carry the weight), more splines and larger bearings.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:37 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

It has a lot to do with your expectations. It is vacationing after all, and if you are comfortable driving like a grandpa, accelerating and braking slowly, you should be good to get by until you order your replacement 2018 or 2019 Heavy Duty Payload package pickup truck without swapping out anything or adding anything. However, you have to pack smart, tow with no water in the tanks, don't buy soda pop, groceries, or firewood until you get to your destination, take fewer clothes and plan on Laundromat stops during your trip, furnish the interior with weight in mind, (lightweight aluminum pans, melamine or paper plates and bowls). Use the tow/haul/overdrive off button for towing, and take it easy on those Tennessee grades. Just because the trailer has a max GVWR doesn't mean you have to fill it up and take along everything for every trip.

Or, reconsider on the trailer. I decided on a Rockwood Roo hybrid because with the slide-out and fold-out beds, you have the interior capacity of a 30+ foot camper with a 21 foot footprint, with lighter weight and still have sleeping capacity for eight. (two queen beds, one fold-out sofa bed in full size, and a fold-down table sleeping area for the shorter ones). Order with the heated tanks, heated mattresses, and it comes with vented furnace and AC, so you can use it from March through early December in comfort. http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...elID=2176#Main

I was able to tow it behind a 4.6 V8 Sport Trac with no modifications until I got the new truck I needed, and pulled it into central Louisiana and up the hills to Fall Creek Falls in Tennessee from Central Illinios.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:15 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

What is your Payload?
Old 08-02-2016, 12:24 AM

My payload? 2,200 lb.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
What is your Payload?
Payload is 1512 lbs

Quick Reply: Towing Capacity and vehicle upgrades for towing