Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing 6"X12" U-Haul Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Moe

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Question Towing 6"X12" U-Haul Trailer

Hello,
I am moving from Houston, TX to Bismarck, ND on 23rd Dec. it is a 1600 miles trip. we are four people: myself, the wife and two kids, I have 2013 f150 V8 5.0 and a 2012 Accord (her car). my stuff plus the 6"X12" trailer wights 5000LBS "I think its less.. just to be in the safe side" I have two options for this move:
1. 17" u-haul truck with car-trailer to put the accord on it, and the wife will drive my truck. <-- she don't want this
2. Trailer to pull it with my truck and the wife will drive her car.

my company will be paying for everything so money is not a factor here. therefore option #2 seems the right one but my wife don't wanna drive my truck plus people are telling me that driving the u-haul truck and towing a car behind it could be dangerous especially for that long. my questions is:

-Is my truck going to be alright if I pull that heavy trailer for that long?
-What kinda of mpg should I expect?
-which one is safer pulling a trailer or driving the u-haul truck with pulling the car behind it?
-How fast can I go with either option?
-are these U-haul trucks safe in windy areas? or the trailer behind my truck is safer?

Sorry for the long post but I really don't have experience towing for that long. Appreciate your time and your suggestions.
Thank you kindly
Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Consider the weather factor in December. I would much rather be driving someone elses well insured Uhaul and trailer on icy roads or a blizzard than my truck and trailer. The weather is nice here now but can change on a dime.

Beulah, ND
The following users liked this post:
moend (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 05:47 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

Some damn small trailers...
Old 11-13-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by azmidget91
Some damn small trailers...
Lol was thinking the same thing.

For future reference
"= inches
'= feet
Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 PM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

I drove the U-Haul truck, without the car hauler, from AZ to MO. That thing sure was thirsty.

You'd be fine pulling that trailer that far. You mileage will suffer, that is a given. Put your truck in tow/haul mode, if you have it, otherwise, leave it out of O/D.

Speed wise, just keep you speed down. No sense in getting in a hurry, especially if you don't have any experience towing. Try to make sure that anywhere you stop, you can just pull through so you don't have to back up.
The following users liked this post:
moend (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Moe

Originally Posted by Aggie*86
Consider the weather factor in December. I would much rather be driving someone elses well insured Uhaul and trailer on icy roads or a blizzard than my truck and trailer. The weather is nice here now but can change on a dime. Beulah, ND
I am originally from Grand Forks, ND and I've been living in TX for only 8months so i know what you mean. You are right its going to be bad. But i am not sure if i trust my wife on my brand new baby
Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Moe

Originally Posted by Melbeachmoose20
Lol was thinking the same thing. For future reference "= inches '= feet
Lol sorry for that and thanks for the correction
Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Moe

Originally Posted by venatic
I drove the U-Haul truck, without the car hauler, from AZ to MO. That thing sure was thirsty. You'd be fine pulling that trailer that far. You mileage will suffer, that is a given. Put your truck in tow/haul mode, if you have it, otherwise, leave it out of O/D. Speed wise, just keep you speed down. No sense in getting in a hurry, especially if you don't have any experience towing. Try to make sure that anywhere you stop, you can just pull through so you don't have to back up.

Thanks for the info. Do u think 65 is an ok speed. And yes sir i do have a tow/haul. But i dont think that the truck will shift into 6th gear when its in tow/haul
Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about filling a U-Haul and towing the truck on the trailer while the wife drives her car?
If works paying that'd be my choice. Better Mpg's on the car and you would not be putting miles on the truck.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Moe

Originally Posted by Y2KTJ
How about filling a U-Haul and towing the truck on the trailer while the wife drives her car? If works paying that'd be my choice. Better Mpg's on the car and you would not be putting miles on the truck.
Dude. I love your idea but do you think the truck will fit on the trailer. And is that ok with u-haul? I am gonna have to ask em tomorrow
Thanks

Quick Reply: Towing 6"X12" U-Haul Trailer