Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing 27' trailer with family

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing 27' trailer with family

Hi.

I'm just starting out speccing a tow vehicle for a trailer I plan to receive next March--an Airstream with a GVWR of 7600 lbs and a (published) hitch weight of 820 lbs. I plan to take my family (2 kids), bikes, and the trailer on a few test run trips in the Spring, but head out for 3 months or so next summer, possibly to Alaska.

Since I have time and my current vehicle won't tow this trailer, I'm researching a variety of towing vehicles: the 150, 250, and various SUVs and vans. Of everything I've researched, I'm most interested in the 150. I am a woodworker and it would be useful to me where I live (just outside Chicago); other options get too large very quickly and won't see any use outside towing. But the primary decision will be safety-based.

I've read many threads on this forum and others and have seen many people using their F-150s much larger and heavier rigs than the one I plan to, but I don't have a lot of context for their trips. Do they travel with a family? Do they go over mountain ranges? What are they carrying? Rounding up, I'm looking to put 600 lbs of people, 75 lbs of generator, about 125 lbs of bike and let's say 250 lbs of "other crap"--1050 lbs total--in or on the truck. Let's round the hitch weight up to 1000 for a loaded trailer and we're just over 2000 lbs of payload. As many of you have reported, that's well over capacity for many 150s. So I looked through the Post your Payload thread on this forum and found that TerryD64's Lariat HDPP, which is almost identical in spec to the one I built on the Ford website, gets 2300 lbs. That would be perfect.

My questions are pretty straightforward:
  • How does HDPP affect ride quality?
  • Will the Lariat with HDPP and the payload described above perform well in mountain ranges?
  • Are their any modifications you would suggest I have done either at the dealer or elsewhere to make this truck perform well?
I'll be traveling 3-4 months of the year with this rig next year, but that's an anomaly. The rest of the time I'll be using this truck at home and at our farm with only occasional trips (long weekends/a week here or there). So that's why I'd like to get a 150 to work well.

The other option is to get a 250 for the trip then figure it out from there. But I'm not a truck guy and the 250 is about an F-100 more truck than I would like to handle...

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Thumbs up Find/get one with HDPP

I'm no expert but I'll take a stab at this. That #7600 sounds like a 25 footer and up and you're gonna love that AirStream (tell me how I know) lol. Your situation sounds like mine (other than your mad skills in woodworking), two kids, bikes and tools for your woodwork (we do have a golden so ours is a family of 5). That being said, I recommend no less than HDPP F-150 for safety due to higher payload and such, because I'm sure you'll be bringing more 'stuff' as you camp more and you'll want them in the truck than in the Airstream. Now if you end up having getting a larger Airstream and will be traveling big mountains, I personally would move up to a diesel (my retirement plan). Below is a snippet of a section of my spread sheet regarding the length we considered moving up to and to see the comparison between the models:

We currently have a 23 and may move up to the 25 in about 5-8 years when the kids tells us they want their own bed heh. Why the 25? It'll fit in most state and national parks. Why list the 28? We love the floor plan due to dinette being separate. But I digress, since you will be using it as a daily driver, you may want to stick to the 150 with HDPP.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 27--the Globetrotter to be precise.

I started this whole endeavor wanting a 16'. Then the big trip became a 3-month, cross-country thing. If anything we'll downsize later after the kids stop wanting to be around us
Old 09-04-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have never posted in this blog before so please excuse any mistakes but I would like to join this discussion. I have a 2015 lariat with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I know I might get some flack for this but, my family and I love camping and my buddy gave me a 32-foot camper total wet weight is about 10,000 but for the sake of argument when I load it lets say its 9,000 with a tongue weight of about 1,000. Now according to everything I have read, I am over GVW but within towing weight for my truck. I have 2 kids a wife and 2 dogs and all our gear and assuming I have underestimated all of our weight lets just say I am either just at or overweight on everything. I have had this setup for about two years and camp 3 to 4 times a year going from Massachusetts to Maine and New Hampshire each time around 200 miles with highway and semi mountains driving each way. I am very pleased with the power and stopping the ability of the truck with the trailer brakes I have no problems at all that way. This issue is sway at 60MPH I have constant slight sway. I added helper springs and it helped a little. I have a very good weight distribution hitch with sway control so it's not bad but you know its there. One thing I recently discovered on this forum is my tires were all wrong as I only have the stock tires and I was disappointed to learn that they are only rated for passenger and not a Light truck so I will be fixing that hopefully that will fix the issue but I was thinking of adding airbags as well. Does anyone have an opinion on that?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:12 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Narayan
It's a 27--the Globetrotter to be precise.

I started this whole endeavor wanting a 16'. Then the big trip became a 3-month, cross-country thing. If anything we'll downsize later after the kids stop wanting to be around us
Oh man am I jealous, that is one sweet trim! We too started from a 16 and glad to have the 23D. When it rains, that extra elbow room will do wonders! So now that we know its a 27, I will stick to my statement regarding HDPP. I personally would not pull longer than a 25-28 w/o an HDPP and may even move up from my Equalizer to maybe a ProPride hitch. Don't get me started with hitch brand, not going there as this is a personal preference and lots of variables to as what is considered best (majority will say PP is and I will tend to agree).

This weekend I got rid of our Yakima Frontloader, Yakima BedRock and xbar for a Thule T2 Pro XT hitch mount bike rack. Why? Because the kids and myself really want a kayak for both recreational and fishing. This past weekend our local shop RackAttack had a sale and I bought that Thule T2 Pro and a Thule Xsporter Pro for that kayak. I didn't like how the Thule Xsporter looked w/ the Yakima setup, plus my knees aren't as strong as it used to so I rather have the bike on the hitch so I don't need to get up on the bed to load the bikes. Do note that I have a DECKED system with lots of tools and stuff in them so you can see that HDPP will come in handy with additional payload!

My current dilemma is that hitch bike rack when we hitch the TT. I have two options, install a front hitch to the truck, or install a hitch on the back of the TT. Installing one of those mounts that attaches to the A frame of the TT won't work because the potential length of the kayak will hit the bikes. I'm a bit reluctant installing/welding/bolting a hitch to the back of the TT due to the stability and weight of the bikes and thule bike rack (they are heavy, but sturdy). This option will be my last resort, so I will try the easier way buy adding a front hitch and try that first. Again, that HDPP will help in my application. I have a healthy #2541 to play with but at the end of the day, I need to stop by the scales fully camped ready and verify my numbers.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes well we all know that the PP hitch is the best bit is it worth the price tag I have the equalizer that I pick up for about 800 but is the PP worth the 2 grand over the equalizer?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:39 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Narayan
Let's round the hitch weight up to 1000 for a loaded trailer and we're just over 2000 lbs of payload. As many of you have reported, that's well over capacity for many 150s. So I looked through the Post your Payload thread on this forum and found that TerryD64's Lariat HDPP, which is almost identical in spec to the one I built on the Ford website, gets 2300 lbs. That would be perfect.
Ford screwed up your (and my) needs/wants. The 2019 F-150 cannot be ordered with Lariat trim and HDPP. HDPP is now available only with XL or XLT trim. DW insists on Lariat trim, so I ordered my 2019 F-150 with the max tow package but without HDPP.

So if you want a Lariat with HDPP, you'll have to find a 2018 or older truck. Don't plan on finding a 2018 in stock anywhere in the USA, because dealers' don't stock the HDPP. They're pretty much special order only.

How does HDPP affect ride quality?
A little, but not enough to do without it if you need it.

Will the Lariat with HDPP and the payload described above perform well in mountain ranges?
Yes, as good as a diesel if you get the max tow pkg, which requires the 3.5k EcoBoost engine, because of the twin turbochargers in the EcoBoost engine. I have towed way over any weight you might have, over the hills of the Central Texas Hill Country, without the F-150 breathing hard.

Are their any modifications you would suggest I have done either at the dealer or elsewhere to make this truck perform well?
No. Get the optional max tow package on the new F-150 and you're good to go. The 3.5L EcoBoost engine is amazing, and the max tow pkg inludes the 3.55 e-locker axle, along with the 36-gallon gas tank and the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC).

I'll be traveling 3-4 months of the year with this rig next year, but that's an anomaly. The rest of the time I'll be using this truck at home and at our farm with only occasional trips (long weekends/a week here or there). So that's why I'd like to get a 150 to work well. The other option is to get a 250 for the trip then figure it out from there.
Three options, all compromises, but it's your money so you get to choose.

1] 2019 F-150 XLT with HDPP and whatever options you desire that are available with HDPP. Forget the luxury options, which are not available with HDPP. I towed my 5er for 10 years and over 100,000 miles, plus another 100,000 miles unloaded, with an F-250 XLT, so I know you can get by with XLT trim plus a few options. But I've had my F-150 Lariat Plus for 6 years and have been spoiled to the nice touches of the Lariat trim.

2] 2019 F-150 Lariat with max tow but without HDPP, You can still get some luxury options and upgraded Lariat trim, but not quite as much payload capacity. But probably plenty of payload capacity to tow a 7,600 pound AirStream with about 1,000 pounds tongue weight.

3] New or used F-250 with any cab, bed, and options you want to pay for. Or better yet, go with an F-350 SRW to gain over 1,000 pounds additional payload capacity, and the only thing you'll notice different is the badge on the fender and your bank account being about $1,000 lighter for a new one.

I chose option 2]. The F-150 Lariat 501A with max tow will give me enough payload capacity that I won't be overloaded. But to be sure, I ordered a SuperCab instead of a SuperCrew tp gain a coupla hundred pounds more payload capacity. I've had crew cabs for the last 19 years, but no longer need to haul adult passengers in the back seat. The SuperCab will have plenty of room for my two dogs, and the great grandkids will just have to make do.

Last edited by smokeywren; 09-04-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by M60gunner
Yes well we all know that the PP hitch is the best bit is it worth the price tag I have the equalizer that I pick up for about 800 but is the PP worth the 2 grand over the equalizer?
I don't claim to be an expert but IMHO in regards to your first post above, for the sake of argument, you'd be surprise how much that PP will help you, other than that, your situation sounds a bit of a risky proposition and I just hope you stay under 60MPH. You may want to start your own thread rather than piggy backing on this one
Old 09-04-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Not to rain on your parade but unless you got your order in early last month you will not be able to get a Lariat with HDPP as they trimmed to available configurations for 2019 MY. An XLT with 301a can be had. I think you are smart to look into an HDPP F150 as a comprise between ride and usability. Great news on the Airstream as well!
As for mods the first thing you want to do is tame the rear bounce. I suggest Bilstein 5100 struts up front set to .75 or 1.26" lift and 5100 shocks for the rear. Also look into a Hellwig rear sway bar and you will be 85% there. As suggested an Equal-I-Zer hitch or other 4 point hitch with sway control. You will need to read the set up instruction several times and adjust on it until you get it right but it will get right. I have mine where the crosswind moves my current tow vehicle and trailer together and I barely feel large trucks as they pass. I recommend a Roadmaster Active suspension too. It will help tame the rear springs and the nasty habits inherent in the design. https://activesuspension.com/suspension-kits/
I'm awaiting my new XLT HDPP in three weeks or so, it's in production. The recommendations I made are from the experience of friends with similar F150s and others I have come across and asked for input.

Last edited by Wicked ace; 09-04-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Ford screwed up your (and my) needs/wants. The 2019 F-150 cannot be ordered with Lariat trim and HDPP. HDPP is now available only with XL or XLT trim. DW insists on Lariat trim, so I ordered my 2019 F-150 with the max tow package but without HDPP.

So if you want a Lariat with HDPP, you'll have to find a 2018 or older truck. Don't plan on finding a 2018 in stock anywhere in the USA, because dealers' don't stock the HDPP. They're pretty much special order only.
1] 2019 F-150 XLT with HDPP and whatever options you desire that are available with HDPP. Forget the luxury options, which are not available with HDPP. I towed my 5er for 10 years and over 100,000 miles, plus another 100,000 miles unloaded, with an F-250 XLT, so I know you can get by with XLT trim plus a few options. But I've had my F-150 Lariat Plus for 6 years and have been spoiled to the nice touches of the Lariat trim.

2] 2019 F-150 Lariat with max tow but without HDPP, You can still get some luxury options and upgraded Lariat trim, but not quite as much payload capacity. But probably plenty of payload capacity to tow a 7,600 pound AirStream with about 1,000 pounds tongue weight.

3] New or used F-250 with any cab, bed, and options you want to pay for. Or better yet, go with an F-350 SRW to gain over 1,000 pounds additional payload capacity, and the only thing you'll notice different is the badge on the fender and your bank account being about $1,000 lighter for a new one.

I chose option 2]. The F-150 Lariat 501A with max tow will give me enough payload capacity that I won't be overloaded. But to be sure, I ordered a SuperCab instead of a SuperCrew tp gain a coupla hundred pounds more payload capacity. I've had crew cabs for the last 19 years, but no longer need to haul adult passengers. The SuperCab will have plenty of room for my two dogs, and the great grandkids will just have to make do.
All good points but the Lariat with Max Tow will not get you a safe payload capacity according to your requirements. And Smokey is the Forum police when it comes to payload limits!!

Quick Reply: Towing 27' trailer with family