Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow sway and weight distribution

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow sway and weight distribution

I have a 2016 F150, 5.0 V8, 2WD, 3.31 axle, 145 wheel base and tow package. Charts show I can pull 9100 lbs. I pull a 32 foot TT which weighs 6,760 lbs with gear on board. Tongue weight is 900 lbs. I use a 12,000/1,200 lb Equalizer Hitch. Hitched up my FAW is 345 lbs below the GAWR and the RAW is 220 lbs below the GAWR. My GVW is 340 lbs below the GVWR. Even after adjusting the hitch several times, I experience bad sway on the freeway, especially if it is windy. Do I have too long a TT and too much tongue weight for this truck to handle? Thanks

Bud
Old 04-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

I suspect your problem is simply a mis-adjusted WD hitch. A hitch rated for 1200 pounds TW but actual TW of only 900 pounds means you don't want the spring bars as tight as they will go.

Here's my next step"

1] Disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle.

2] Measure from a point in the front fender well to the ground. Write down that distance.

3] Connect the trailer on level ground, including tightening the spring bars to where you think they need to be.

4] Measure from that same point in the front fender well to the ground.

5. Compare the distance to the ground. Your goal is to get the front fender close to the same distance to the ground with the trailer hooked up as without the trailer, or not more than a half-inch higher with the trailer as without the trailer. If it's not within that half-inch window, then tighten or loosen the spring bars to get the same distance to the ground. When you get it adjusted close to perfect, then mark the hitch components so you can tighten it to the same specs next time you hook up.

6. If that doesn't cure your sway problem, then contact Equal-I-Zer for the next step.

The following is a link to a Reese video on how to adjust a WD hitch. The part about the distance from the front fender well to the ground is an industry standard now, so it should be applicable to your Equal-I-Zer hitch.

Last edited by smokeywren; 04-16-2017 at 05:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Broadarm (04-18-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

Is the hitch head angle not adjustable on a Equalizer?
Broadarm (04-18-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 08:06 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 77Ranger460
Is the hitch head angle not adjustable on a Equalizer?
It is. It is adjusted by adding or removing shims.

It sounds like the bars aren't being loaded properly. I would go through the setup procedure in the Equal-i-zer manual. Make sure you are on a level surface. You should be able to get the trailer to be level or about an inch lower at the hitch head with the adjustments. The bars need to be roughly parallel with the trailer frame when loaded. From here you should be able to go through the rest of the setup. If you still have problems call the Equal-i-zer folks. When I setup my hitch for first time they were more than happy to help me get things setup.

One last thing came to mind. Did you check the torque on the bar socket ends? The friction plates in this area is where your sway control comes from. They should be torqued between 45-65 lbs.
Broadarm (04-18-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Tires

once you've gone through all of the above, try some LT tires- My TT towed with my 2002 sport trac sway a lot. LT tires, end of issue.. My replacement 2013 STX 2wd has p265-65-18's on it and there is sway. not as much as my trac on 's, but enough to warrant LT's when I get new tires... I also use a friction sway control tightened down, helps somewhat... HTH
Broadarm (04-18-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Broadarm
Do I have too long a TT and too much tongue weight for this truck to handle?

Not too much tongue weight for a properly-adjusted Equal-I-Zer hitch if you don't exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle. But maybe too much trailer for your shorty F-150 to handle in cross winds, or with 18-wheelers blowing past you at high speeds.

I don't have personal experience with big TTs , so the following is a summary of what has been reported here by others who tow big TTs.

If the "32 foot TT" is 32 feet overall length tip to tail (coupler to the back of the rear bumper) then the actual box that fights the wind is about 28 to 29 feet long. That's the outside limits for towing with an F-150 without the tail wagging the dog. A more comfortable TT length for your shorty F-150 would be a box length not more than about 24' long, or an overall length of not more than about 28'.

But if the trailer model number includes 32, that means the box is about 32' long, and the overall trailer length is over 35'. That's definitely too much trailer for an F-150 - especially a shorty F-150.
Broadarm (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 AM

Thanks for your input, guys. I have already done everything which is being suggested, including talking with the Equalizer folks. Even though I am several hundred pounds below the front and rear GAWR and the GVWR, I'm assuming I have too much TT and tongue weight even though I am about 1,500 pounds below the GCWR. I have thought about buying the super expensive Hensley hitch, but no guarantee that would resolve the sway. Any additional thoughts? Thanks
Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 28' Airstream @ 7000# loaded and have towed through winds that made me nervous, didn't have any sway issues, but I do go very slow if I hit that situation. I have the reese dual cam sway control.

I'm not familiar with the equalizer, I assume it has anti-sway built in, but if not I would get whatever attachment they have to add that.

I also recently upgraded to an HDPP 150 and it made a world of difference in the ride when towing.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=mixedpuppy;5280797]I have a 28' Airstream @ 7000# loaded and have towed through winds that made me nervous, didn't have any sway issues, but I do go very slow if I hit that situation. I have the reese dual cam sway control.

I'm not familiar with the equalizer, I assume it has anti-sway built in, but if not I would get whatever attachment they have to add that.

I also recently upgraded to an HDPP 150 and it made a world of difference in the ride when towing.[/QUOTE

What is an HDPP 150? Thanks
Old 04-18-2017, 03:47 PM

So, how much below the weight ratings for front axle, rear axle and gross vehicle weight do you have to be when towing or is it that you just should not exceed those weight limits? Thanks

Quick Reply: Tow sway and weight distribution