Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Mirror clearance and turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tow Mirror clearance and turn signal

Just traded in my 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 for a 2017 F150 XLT. I miss my tow mirrors. Been researching and still have a few questions.
1. It looks like aftermarket tow mirrors either have the LED turn signals or the clearance marker but not both. Anyone find any with both? I have 8 pin but want to get 22 pin so I can have a few more options such as both LED signal and running lights.
2. Speaking of 22 pin conversion. They sell a 30.00 harness that goes from 22 to 8 pin with three separate pigtails to wire in features such as turn signals. Some aftermarket mirrors come witha basic adapter harnesses. My thought would be to add my own pigtails to these harnesses instead of wasting 60.00 if I can. Has anyone done this?
Old 02-16-2019, 04:34 PM

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Check these out:

http://syppo.com/2015-2018-f150-22-j...-lights-black/

There are quite a few options out there that have all the options (turn signal, puddle lamp and spot light) in the aftermarket world.

Or you can buy a set from Ford here: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...or-jl3z17696ba
Old 02-17-2019, 09:43 AM

Default Thanks

Not sure how I missed that after searching every combination of words. Thanks I appreciate it.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by RubyRed Canadian
Or you can buy a set from Ford here: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...or-jl3z17696ba
I'm surprised that Taska didn't include more info on those OEM tow mirrors. Here's more description:
SKU: JL3Z-17696-BA
Description: Convert your 2015 thru 2018 F-150 with 8-pin connector to Trailer Tow Mirrors!
  • Trailer Tow Mirror Kit - Black Power Mirrors with:
  • Power Adjustable Glass
    • Defrost (IOW, heated mirrors)
    • Turn Signal
    • Puddle Light
    • Manual Telescoping
    • Manual Folding
    • Set of 2
No mention of clearance marker lights, but I suspect they are the same lights as the turn signals, but flashing for signals and on for clearance lights when headlights are on but the turn signals are not flashing. I would call the dealer to verify. Also they have the 8-pin connector not the 22 pin you mentioned.

The OEM tow mirrors on my 2019 Lariat have separate signal and clearance lights, but they also have power fold and power telescope and cost a heck of a lot more from Ford parts than those JL3Z-17696-BA for your 2017.

Last edited by smokeywren; 02-17-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:46 PM

Default 22 pin

Thanks. 1 A Auto has over an hour long video on the installation of tow mirrors and the wiring of the extra features. I bought the 30.00 harnesses that have three extra pigtails to wire the extra features up. Not going to order their mirrors as they are around 700.00. Will go with the 200 to 300 dollar options. 1 A Auto mirrors are very nice and can be wired for power slide out. For the few times I camp per year, pulling out by hand is no big deal. I did that on my Ram for years.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:36 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

looking to get a pair too and did some light research some time ago.... all the harness conversions and everyone saying this might work and that might work had me take a break last time...
i live in a densely populated area so usually a pair will come up from a newer model then mine (04) for sale locally. seeing the crazy prices from ford makes me want to pick up a pair of oem ones.... (the jedi mind trick of feeling you are getting a heck of a deal.....)

but glad to hear there's an a1 auto video on it .i need to check it out. maybe i'll finally get it done
Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM

Default 22 pin to 8

I ordered the harnesses with the pigtails. I went to a Junkyard and cut out a door harness so I can take the wires and pins out to solder to the pigtails I bought that way it will be an OEM pin going into the door harness.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got a 2019 F-150 it has power mirrors like I would think they all do. It don't have blinkers or power fold or anything like that. Would it be possible to put tow mirrors on it and have blinkers that work when going from one that don't have it?

2019 F 150 STX 2.7L Ecoboost. Just about the cheapest model you can get in one. I be leave it's call the Base Model
Old 04-17-2020, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 towing mirror wiring

I have a 2017 f150 XLT SPORT. Just bought 2 new towing mirrors from autoshack and it came with a harness and an adapter for the puddle lights, clearance/running light and auxiliary lamp. That clip in but the other end is bare copper where do I run those. I have the signals working and the auto adjust but i want the puddle and clearance. Any help on this would be amazing im stuck as the autoshack doesnt even know how to explain there diagram.

This is the vauge diagram that came with it.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you get an answer?

I also purchased mirrors with the same harness and additional wires. Did you get a solution you could share? Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Conoralexander
I have a 2017 f150 XLT SPORT. Just bought 2 new towing mirrors from autoshack and it came with a harness and an adapter for the puddle lights, clearance/running light and auxiliary lamp. That clip in but the other end is bare copper where do I run those. I have the signals working and the auto adjust but i want the puddle and clearance. Any help on this would be amazing im stuck as the autoshack doesnt even know how to explain there diagram.

This is the vauge diagram that came with it.

Quick Reply: Tow Mirror clearance and turn signal