Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow/Haul Mode?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow/Haul Mode?

I have a 2013 EcoBoost with Max Tow. I've towed an open car trailer that loaded I think grosses out at about 7,000 lbs for years with my '05 Screw 5.4 but haven't yet with the '13.

Some questions about using the tow/haul mode.
  1. Is this just an OD delete that should be used in hilly tourane?
  2. Does it change the motor tune?
  3. Does it change the tranny shift points?
  4. Should it be used all the time when towing or just in certain situations?
  5. Can you tow with cruise control: all the time, through flat areas, etc?
Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Yes, except on flat highways tranny may shift into OD in Tow/Haul mode.
2. No
3. Yes
4. Under heavy loads, I'd say anything over 2000lbs (when you notice pulling sensation behind your vehicle.)
5. Yes.
The following users liked this post:
Brian Oatway (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Oatway
I have a 2013 EcoBoost with Max Tow. I've towed an open car trailer that loaded I think grosses out at about 7,000 lbs for years with my '05 Screw 5.4 but haven't yet with the '13.

Some questions about using the tow/haul mode.
  1. Is this just an OD delete that should be used in hilly tourane?
  2. Does it change the motor tune?
  3. Does it change the tranny shift points?
  4. Should it be used all the time when towing or just in certain situations?
  5. Can you tow with cruise control: all the time, through flat areas, etc?
Thanks
1. It is not an OD delete. The up/down arrow can be used to lock out higher gears if you wish. Sometimes that's good on rolling hills to minimize shifting. That feature is independent of tow/haul but it can be used with tow/haul.
2. No
3. Yes. Higher shift points to minimize gear changes. It also changes torque converter lock programming.
4. Opinions vary but I use tow/haul any time I'm towing. Tow/haul also provides some benefit with downshifting to provide some engine braking under certain conditions. This can save some brake wear.
5. I tow with cruise control on 95% of the time. In hilly areas, CC will use more fuel though; versus manually feathering the throttle on uphills (losing some speed) and allowing it to gain speed on downhill. Manual throttle saves some fuel under these conditions. Otherwise, I use it all of the time.
Brian Oatway (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys
Old 02-06-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Using the tow/ haul mode will also help with slowing the truck and trailer down when descending a hill. If you are in Tow/haul and going down a hill and notice you are picking up speed just tap the brake and the trans will down shift a gear and it will use engine breaking to help maintain speed. Every time you tap the brake it will keep downshifting and if you are using cruise control and the truck and trailer starts to pickup speed going down hill the trans will automatically downshift to try and maintain the set speed. I use my tow/haul when ever i have a trailer attached no matter what size it is and also when i have a heavy load in the bed. It's there so why not use it.

Last edited by EcoboostKev; 02-06-2013 at 11:10 PM.
KRIEGHOFF (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but what about using it in 4X4?
I live in a very hilly area and with my 2wd Silverado I would use tow mode when driving in snow for the increased engine braking and to keep it in from shifting so much that would brake the tires loose.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by marks
Not to hijack this thread, but what about using it in 4X4?
I live in a very hilly area and with my 2wd Silverado I would use tow mode when driving in snow for the increased engine braking and to keep it in from shifting so much that would brake the tires loose.
I'd probably either just lock out the gears you don't want to use, or use the manual shift mode.

I've played around with tow/haul when not towing, and it doesn't change the stock shifting too much, except for some of the downshift behavior noted above. It will still delay up shifting a small bit, but it is still tied to the load on the engine, so it isn't just arbitrarily holding a gear longer.
marks (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

FWIW, my TT is about 6800lbs and I only use tow/haul when in hilly areas. On flatter areas I let the truck run itself. I'll sometimes engage it when faced with a stiff headwind also.

Expect a bit of a hit in fuel economy when in T/H mode also (not that I am ubber paranoid about burning fuel when hauling a house..).

As for 4X4 about the only time I engage it when hauling is in severe snow conditions.
marks (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 12:02 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 263 Likes on 195 Posts

just an FYI, not all of those out there have the manual shift option (aka the ability to lockout each gear if desired) some trucks just have tow haul and that is it, like older trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow/Haul Mode?