Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tow/haul

Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Dick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tow/haul

Does anyone know for sure what tells it when you are towing?
The fuel calculation uses uses normal or towing. I don't have the factory brake controller. Is it when a trailer is plugged into the 7 pin plug, the tow haul button pushed, the trans sensing the load, or do you have to have the factory brake controller.

BTW its a 2012 Eco with the tow package, not max tow.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by rbell0
Does anyone know for sure what tells it when you are towing?
The fuel calculation uses uses normal or towing. I don't have the factory brake controller. Is it when a trailer is plugged into the 7 pin plug, the tow haul button pushed, the trans sensing the load, or do you have to have the factory brake controller.

BTW its a 2012 Eco with the tow package, not max tow.
With the factory controller, it senses the trailer when plugged into the 7 pin plug. Maybe just the brake line needs to be connected? But haven't tried the 4 pin plug.

The tow/haul button and tranny is not involved.

Whenever I hitch or un-hitch the trailer I jot down the readings in panel A and reset. That way I can cleanly separate mileage when towing and not.

By the way, you want the factory controller. It is FAR superior to any aftermarkets.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The tow haul button on the shifter makes it shift lower when going down a hill and speed starts going up. Not sure what all inputs it uses but it does it with a trailer under 2000 pounds, 1 7/8 ball and the four terminal plug. Probably does it with just a good load on too. I don't detect much if any difference in up shifting but don't see a need to use tow haul just remove gears from those available to choose from with the little button. Or use manual. I find for my purposes it might need a little help as to when to downshift but upshifting points seem fine. So you drive along and the revs drop, remove one or more gear choices the vehicle has and once it is downshifted to where you like it add them back.

fran
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Meaner than ymeski56

Received 457 Likes on 331 Posts

It's the tow/haul button. I use it when going down steep hills because 2 presses of the brake pedal will make it downshift, thereby using the tranny to slow itself down.

And I'll agree with an above poster, the factory TBC is leaps and bounds ahead of any aftermarket unit. Plus the location can't be beat
Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

You tell it with the tow haul button and you can go to the productivety screen and select how it calculates DTE as standard or towing the only way the truck knows if you are towing is with the factery brake controler and conected to a trailer with electric brakes.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 PM
ColdWar Vet-USN Shellback

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

On my truck I have the display inbetween the tach and speedo. I have named my trailers that I hook up to in the trailer setup screen. It keeps the brake controller setup and also the miles I have towed. Each trailer is different and the truck keeps track of them. Sorry, I have MaxTow so maybe that is only on that option, I don't know...
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 AM
HOPEFUL

Received 263 Likes on 195 Posts

I use tow/haul even when empty. like someone else mentioned it helps with braking going down steep hills.
I also like that with T/H on, I can apply more throttle before it will down shift.
for instance coming back from PA this past weekend, going through the mountains without T/H, it would down shift all the way 4th going up some hills. but with T/H on, it would hold 5th even with more throttle.
it was kinda funny because I'd start up a hill with t/h off and it would downshift to 4th, I'd let off the gas to get it to shift back up, turn on t/h and it would then hold 5th the rest of the way up the hill. if I turned t/h back off while going up the hill it would immediately downshift. I HATE 3.31 gears
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Meaner than ymeski56

Received 457 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by MPETE
I use tow/haul even when empty. like someone else mentioned it helps with braking going down steep hills.
I also like that with T/H on, I can apply more throttle before it will down shift.
for instance coming back from PA this past weekend, going through the mountains without T/H, it would down shift all the way 4th going up some hills. but with T/H on, it would hold 5th even with more throttle.
it was kinda funny because I'd start up a hill with t/h off and it would downshift to 4th, I'd let off the gas to get it to shift back up, turn on t/h and it would then hold 5th the rest of the way up the hill. if I turned t/h back off while going up the hill it would immediately downshift. I HATE 3.31 gears
I've got 3.31 gears too haha. The 5.4 does a fairly decent job holding gears for the ratio but a 3.55 would be about perfect. Climbed the Rockies very well this past weekend though
Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Besides changing the shift points, and making down-shifting on hills a bit more aggressive (cruise does that too to maintain the set speed), tow/haul forces the torque converter to lockup all the time AFAIK.

This keeps the tranny temperature down on long climbs so is a good thing, and works well especially as it has 6 gears with 2 over-drives to play with.

So going up a local hill when NOT in tow/haul the rpm jumps up but the gear display remains in 6th. That indicates the tranny has unlocked the torque converter.

But when in tow/haul the rpm jumps only when the gear display downshifts, from 6th to 5th in this case. Also on this hill I think the rpm jump to 5th is a little higher than when the torque converter is unlocked.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by RedOne
On my truck I have the display inbetween the tach and speedo. I have named my trailers that I hook up to in the trailer setup screen. It keeps the brake controller setup and also the miles I have towed. Each trailer is different and the truck keeps track of them. Sorry, I have MaxTow so maybe that is only on that option, I don't know...
All 2011+trucks have this feature included in the productivity screen but onlly trucks with factery brake controler can remember gain settings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tow/haul