Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque output numbers towing vs nontowing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:07 PM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Torque output numbers towing vs nontowing

I played around a bit today while picking up the GN from the dealer for repairs. My maestro module in my stereo monitors the torque input to the converter in real time. I know it's most likely a calculated number based on fuel, boost, RPM etc, but it gives a baseline to see how the engine performs under varying loads at similar rpm.

It also proved a good example of how little power and torque an immensely powerful engine is using rolling down the highway empty. It also illustrates how much power a 6.7 puts down while pulling a big load and does it very quietly and almost without effort. A lot of the time on fully flat terrain it was putting out around 450lbs at 1840rpm with around 10lbs boost. The 847 to 933 ft/lb readings were reached at the same lazy 1800rpm but 20 to 22lbs of boost.

Flat ground 76mph empty no trailer at 2200rpm

Tach from above shot

Loaded fairly flat ground pulling 16500 trailer, 66mph 1840rpm

Significant incline at 68mph 16500lb trailer 1850rpm, just prior to pic the gauge was reading 933, dropping to 865 then holding steady at 847 as we hit midpoint of the grade.
The following users liked this post:
rothe.howard (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

A great data point for everyone to ponder on including me. Impressive, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-08-2019, 02:42 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Thats a nice setup. Is that included in the radio, or an addition to it? I have one of those type of Kenwood radios sitting on a shelf, I plan to make an overhead for my trailer and install it with the Kicker sub and some speakers. If I ever got an older Dually, it will fit perfectly in one.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by acdii
Thats a nice setup. Is that included in the radio, or an addition to it? I have one of those type of Kenwood radios sitting on a shelf, I plan to make an overhead for my trailer and install it with the Kicker sub and some speakers. If I ever got an older Dually, it will fit perfectly in one.
The maestro module was an addition that works with the Kemwood or many others, to allow the steering wheel controls to work with the audio and the BT phone stuff. It also works with two cameras and mirrors my phone too. Let's me monitor EGT, Oil press and temp, intake air temp, boost, and more other functions than I can remember off hand. I really like it, it fit perfect in the dash of the 16 SD too.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 5.0GN tow
The maestro module was an addition that works with the Kemwood or many others, to allow the steering wheel controls to work with the audio and the BT phone stuff. It also works with two cameras and mirrors my phone too. Let's me monitor EGT, Oil press and temp, intake air temp, boost, and more other functions than I can remember off hand. I really like it, it fit perfect in the dash of the 16 SD too.
Thats a whole lot better than the module I have for mine! It's too bad the Superduty engines between 03 and 11 are crap and not trustworthy or I would consider getting one and using my Kenwood with this module in it.

However I am REALLY hating myself now for getting rid of my 99. They are selling for a LOT more than I thought they would, mainly because of the 7.3 Powerstroke. I found an XLT, not a Lariat like I had, with more miles selling for $17K. To get one for under $10K they are pretty well worn. tossing around the thought of a dedicated tow vehicle for a 5th wheel, so it would either be a good old 7.3 or a 6.7, just depends one what I can find, OR the 6.2 gas, but that might limit my 5th wheel choices.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:33 PM

If you can find a 2012 or 13 6.7 and later do the 15 and up turbo conversion you can have a true beast. The 15 and 16 are heads and tails better than the 11-14. The larger single stage turbo really lets the engine produce power down low and over 3k rpm. It also allows for excellent engine braking. I put 600 miles on towing the GN this week and the 6.7 really shines when being worked.
The following users liked this post:
acdii (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 5.0GN tow
If you can find a 2012 or 13 6.7 and later do the 15 and up turbo conversion you can have a true beast. The 15 and 16 are heads and tails better than the 11-14. The larger single stage turbo really lets the engine produce power down low and over 3k rpm. It also allows for excellent engine braking. I put 600 miles on towing the GN this week and the 6.7 really shines when being worked.
I will keep that in mind, along with the delete stuff. Used, out of warranty, better to lose that crap than to deal with it causing other damage.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by acdii
I will keep that in mind, along with the delete stuff. Used, out of warranty, better to lose that crap than to deal with it causing other damage.
Mine will lose weight at 125k when the ESP expires. Wish I could do it before then, but dont want to jeaprodize the coverage.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:22 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

You cannot measure lb ft of torque with an electronics device in the cab. It is a gimmick and nothing more. With regard to the torque curve it is provided by the manufacturers for their gas and diesel engines which is all I need to know.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Elkhornsun
You cannot measure lb ft of torque with an electronics device in the cab. It is a gimmick and nothing more. With regard to the torque curve it is provided by the manufacturers for their gas and diesel engines which is all I need to know.
It is as I stated a calculated number it's based off a series of calculations from what I can gather. It's used by the ECU to help control the transmission. It is of course probabably not perfectly accurate, but is undoubtedly related to and based on calculations used by the ECU which are based on known output and airflow, MAP readings, turbo output, and fuel flow etc probably from factory dyno runs. The computers can only make these measurements based on known parameters, and I would hazard a guess that the ECU is programmed based on data gathered in testing. The same testing which gives you the factory torque curve.

No engine puts out it listed torque loafing along at part throttle even if it's the listed max torque rpm. The best(before I owned a 6.7) engine that would hold its max torque rpm at highway speed at close to max throttle without downshifting was my 95 f150 300I6. You could hold speed with a heavy trailer throttle mostly open at 70mph or so and lug along at 2krpm or less and the ECU let it do it without forcing a downshift.

Last edited by 5.0GN tow; 02-12-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Torque output numbers towing vs nontowing