Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tongue weight matters, not trailer weight.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 03:59 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Lightbulb Tongue weight matters, not trailer weight.

Should we really just start going by tongue weight and payload alone at this point?

With all the questions going around about trailer weights, I don't think any of that really matters. 99.9% of the time, you will run out of payload before you hit your GCWR and your max trailer weight. I have yet to see someone who can actually tow the rated trailer weight or higher and still be within payload limits.

If someone can, please post up your numbers! And yes, you have to include you as part of the payload and family if applicable... Also no cheating by removing stock parts lol

I've been really pushing the payload numbers towards people when they ask about trailer weights because that's always the limit you hit first. So I almost wonder if the max trailer weight is a pointless number to go by. I mean, unless you're towing a wagon-style farm trailer, which is rare... The most important number is always the tongue weight.

Does someone know of configurations that can tow the max trailer rating or GCWR posted in the charts and still be within payload? If not, then maybe when trailer shopping, the dealers should have tongue weights listed on their trailers along with the total weight. I know for a fact that many don't even know and just go by the 10-13% which is really just a guess, and the dealer I went to a few weekends ago couldn't tell me a tongue weight for any of their trailers...
Old 08-02-2018, 04:35 PM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

I've not check other trailer brand website but I know Airstream do post hitch weight on their site:

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...oud/floorplan/

Of course most of us know the theoretical hitch/tongue weight will 'almost always' be heavier than what the brochure states...99% of the time.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lucked out in this regard - I was looking for a potential tow vehicle BEFORE I had a travel trailer in mind, figuring I'd be pulling a 7-8,000 lb trailer at most. Went to the Ford dealer last year and looked through inventory; for a 2017 XLT SCrew 5.0 4X4 with trailer tow package, integrated brake controller and trailer backup assist. Other than "assuming" the truck would be rated to tow about 9-10,000 lbs, I did no other research regarding towing capabilities or requirements.

Fast forward to this year, and now looking at trailers. I'm a little more educated now regarding payload, tongue weights, etc., and found that I had actually picked a decent tow vehicle for the size trailer we were looking for:
  • Trailer specs (Grand Design Imagine 2500RL): 6,000 lbs dry, 7,500 GVWR, 600 lbs on the tongue (dry)
  • Truck specs: 8,900 lb tow rating (due to having the 3.31 rear; the main error I made and the only thing I'd change about this truck), 7,000 GVWR package, 2000 lb payload.
I see most trucks in our size range generally have something like 1,300-1,600 lb payload, other than those equipped with HDPP. For just stumbling into this truck without doing all my homework, I ended up in pretty good shape (both payload and tow rating) for towing our TT.

Last edited by MidLifeinMI; 08-02-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Trailer weight and tongue weight are connected. Best bet IMO is to IGNORE Dry Weights you will never pull a camper dry and if you're pulling a utility trailer empty, what's the point?
For planning purposes look at the GVWR of the trailer and estimate 13% of that as your tongue weight. 15-20% for 5th wheel pin weight.

Trailer manufacturers will never post loaded tongue weights (and if you think about it they really can't) They have no idea what you will load or HOW you will load the trailer.
They provide what the trailer can be loaded up to (GVWR) and axle weight ratings (GAWR). It is your responsibility as the trailer owner/operator to load and balance properly.

Look at the DOT required weight rating certificate on the trailer and on your truck, ignore the salesman and the ford dealer, they know nothing about towing.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 PM

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
99.9% of the time, you will run out of payload before you hit your GCWR and your max trailer weight. I have yet to see someone who can actually tow the rated trailer weight or higher and still be within payload limits.

If someone can, please post up your numbers! And yes, you have to include you as part of the payload
I guess I'm the 0.01%.
8,100 lb towing capacity
1,818 payload
You only have to include your weight over 150lbs according to the 2015 F150 towing guide. I'm over 150. Have added running boards and a bed cover.
8100x.15=1265
1818-1265=553
250 for my excess over 150, the running boards, and bed cover is 300lbs leftover for tools/cargo.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:10 AM
Scoundrel

Received 154 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree completely BlackBoost, but I believe the problem is that RV manufacturers widely advertise minimum trailer empty weights (which are meaningless) and auto manufacturers advertise maximum towing capacity (also barely meaningless). Both are trying to attract the same consumer.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:40 AM

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by HangDiver
I agree completely BlackBoost, but I believe the problem is that RV manufacturers widely advertise minimum trailer empty weights (which are meaningless) and auto manufacturers advertise maximum towing capacity (also barely meaningless). Both are trying to attract the same consumer.
Yeah, they are both trying to get the overloaded customer. They have to either buy a new truck or a new trailer.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:55 AM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by l3rian
Originally Posted by BlackBoost
Should we really just start going by tongue weight and payload alone at this point?

With all the questions going around about trailer weights, I don't think any of that really matters. 99.9% of the time, you will run out of payload before you hit your GCWR and your max trailer weight. I have yet to see someone who can actually tow the rated trailer weight or higher and still be within payload limits.

If someone can, please post up your numbers! And yes, you have to include you as part of the payload and family if applicable... Also no cheating by removing stock parts lol
I guess I'm the 0.01%.
8,100 lb towing capacity
1,818 payload
You only have to include your weight over 150lbs according to the 2015 F150 towing guide. I'm over 150. Have added running boards and a bed cover.
8100x.15=1265
1818-1265=553
250 for my excess over 150, the running boards, and bed cover is 300lbs leftover for tools/cargo.
I have a better example. On my '04 F-150 Heritage RCSB, it isn't even close:

3,500 lb towing capacity
2,060 lb payload capacity.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:30 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

All the weight limits set by manufactures are relevant and they follow the guidelines set in FMVSS. Basic towing principles are usually in every vehicle owners manual and it’s the consumers responsibility to know and understand them. Ignorance will usually at least cost you lots of money. I don’t subscribe to the internets interpretations that “all that matters is payload”, it’s just one of many weight ratings that shouldn’t be exceeded. Proper loading and weight distribution (not hitch) of the TV and trailer is really what makes a TV/trailer ride down the road safely as long as the driver does they’re part. Education is key, and I don’t recommend trying to acquire that knowledge on a Internet forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by 8100hd:
k5rcd (01-24-2021), Traxx (02-12-2021)
Old 08-03-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

I also must be that small percentage. My payload is 1940 and my towing weight it 9000 lbs. Although if you figure 15% tongue weight and a couple people in the truck the two numbers would be about the same.

Quick Reply: Tongue weight matters, not trailer weight.