Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of new wd hitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of new wd hitch

i have a recurve r6 hitch right now and im looking at going to something better
2018 2wd screw with the max tow package 3.5 eb with the 10 speed
pulling a 2015 haulmark edge pro car trailer with spread axles and the drop torsion setup for a smaller truck (ordered this way with the idea of a half ton truck )
full weight of trailer should be around 9000
already ordered a set of michelin 10 ply tires
other than that the truck is stock

any suggetions
thanks
devin
Old 02-06-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts

I have had a couple wd hitches eaz-lift , Reese dual cam, and husky centerline ts and most recent blue-ox sway pro. The blue ox is awesome super quiet smooth easy to adjust and the sway control is amazing . I love towing with that hitch unless you want to spend 3 k on a Hensley the blue ox is awesome
Old 02-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Ditto on Blue Ox. Switched over 2 years ago and glad I did. Much better than conventional WDH's.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

WD hitches are available in three price classes. 1] Cheap or economy hitches. 2] Good but affordable with good built-in sway control. 3] Expensive but excellent sway control.

Blue Ox SwayPro is about as good as it gets in the affordable price range (list price about $1,000, internet price about $500 to $700 complete with shank and spring bars). https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...x/BXW1000.html

Comparable to the Blue Ox SwayPro is the Husky Centerline HD 31390 (but not the economy Centerline TS.)

And I've had excellent service from my Reese Strait-Line trunnion bar hitch.

One more in that group of good but affordable WD hitches is the Equal-I-Zer. Blue Ox and Equal-I-Zer do not sell cheap hitches, so any WD hitch they sell with the adjustable shank and correct spring bars will work fine. But Reese and Husky sell cheap hitches as well as the good ones, so pay attention if you buy a Reese and be sure it is a Strait-Line, or if you buy a Husky be certain it is the CenterLine HD 31390.

The Strait-Line and Equal-I-Zer are both sold with or without the adjustable shank. So if you buy a Strait-Line or Equal-I-Zer be certain it includes the shank. If you find either one online for less than $500, that is probably the one without the shank. Here's the Reese:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66084.html

The CenterLine HD is just the head and lift-up brackets. The spring bars are sold separately. So if you order a CenterLine HD, be sure you also order the correct weight capacity spring bars.
Centerline HD 31390 head unit Centerline HD 31390 head unit

In the expensive category, I tow my TT with a Hensley ProPride 3P. Outstanding WD hitch with outstanding sway control/prevention, but only you can decide if it's worth the ~ $2600+ price. If you've ever experienced uncontrollable trailer sway, then you'll pay a lot to be sure it never happen again. To compare performance, my Reese Strait-Line will control about 99% of all sway-causing conditions. The ProPride will control about 99.99%. Plus the ProPride is much easier to fine-tune to your exact tongue weight than the Strait-Line. https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...control-hitch/

Last edited by smokeywren; 02-07-2018 at 08:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigDozer66 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched a bunch of videos on the blue of and I'm not understanding the sway control or how it's better than the recurve r6 that I have now
I'm all for buying something a little better but can't understand how the sway control could be better with a chain design
Old 02-07-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts
Cool

When we get our TT my choice for our hitch will be the Pro Pride 3 without a doubt.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by boo00st
I watched a bunch of videos on the blue of and I'm not understanding the sway control or how it's better than the recurve r6 that I have now
I'm all for buying something a little better but can't understand how the sway control could be better with a chain design
I'm not an engineer so cant explain how it works, but I do know its way better than the Reese Round Bar WD Kit and Sway Control I had. Getting rid of the Friction Sway Control devices was nice too. Due to weight of trailer, I need two of them, PITA.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I switched from a Husky RB to a Blue Ox and was able to nail the WD on the first try. I could never get the Husky exactly how it needed to be, either too much weight forward or not enough. The BO is perfect on the first try and with a strong crosswind, did not sway at all! I actually gained some payload back.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Had a Blue Ox...good. Propride........great!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

With the exception of the Hensley and Propride they all use friction to reduce sway. So some may be a little better at applying that friction and keeping it consistent. Bottom line your TV/ trailer combo should dampen sway naturally at highway speeds, friction based hitches should just be an extra method to help reduce sway should it occur.
The following users liked this post:
Gladehound (02-10-2018)

Quick Reply: thinking of new wd hitch