Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying the integrated trailer brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thinking of buying the integrated trailer brake

So 09-fx4, been towing a 7k lb travel trailer. I have a crappy trailer brake, upgrading this year. Looking at the integrated ford one. Are they good or are some of the high end aftermarket ones better?
Old 05-10-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

I really like my factory controller!!!

In 2013 with the instrument display, the truck app is a really nice feature - but you may not have that in your '09. It also adjusts trailer braking at different speeds.

All the reviews of the OE TBC I've read are very positive, and I believe it's basically plug-n-play.

If you do have the truck app or want the variable speed trailer braking, you may need to have it programmed into your truck by your dealer.

Bob
Old 05-10-2014, 12:44 PM

Well I just phoned the dealership and they want $380 for the controller ( not installed! )and then $225 for the flash so would have to be pretty good for me to buy it I'll pick up the one on eBay and see if I can get the flash cheaper at the other dealer
Old 05-10-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 500grhollowpoint
Well I just phoned the dealership and they want $380 for the controller ( not installed! )and then $225 for the flash so would have to be pretty good for me to buy it I'll pick up the one on eBay and see if I can get the flash cheaper at the other dealer
Yikes!!

I just looked on eBay and saw many new OEM ones available from parts distributors as well as Ford dealerships for about $150 to $160.

There are many threads about installing them, and apparently it's a very easy DIY install.

I can't believe that it should cost more than a half hour labor to do the flash.

Here's a thread where in the last post he says it took the dealer 10 minutes for the flash!!

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/brake-controller-189508

Good luck!!
Old 05-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

The Ford ITBC was optional in the '09 FX4, so it will be available in the dealer parts department.

You can also save a few bucks if you order it from a Ford discount parts department, such as Taska Ford Parts:
http://tascaparts.com/partlocator/in...catalogid=3792

I love the ITBC in my 2012 F-150. Compared to other TBCs I've had over the years, it's great. I know the OEM unit will fit in your 2009 F-150, but I don't know if the wiring is plug and play. Someone else will have to reply as to exactly how to install it in your pickup. Mine came already installed by the assembly plant.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:31 PM

I'm not worried about putting it in myself I wonder if the hour and a half they quoted me was for flash and install
Old 05-11-2014, 10:14 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Pick one of these and go....
http://www.tekonsha.com/content/prod...id=1435&part=0
Old 05-11-2014, 11:02 AM

That one seems like it would be good if you had a couple different vehicles. I was looking for one that worked in the factory hole in the dash and looked oem
Old 05-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Norotso
I would respectfully disagree. We had one of these on our last F150 and the Ford IBC on our new truck is much more responsive; especially on light brake applications. The Tekonsha relies on inertia. The Ford controller works off of master cylinder pressure. I find that it will apply the trailer brakes for me on light braking where the Tekonsha would not.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:23 PM

Default E

The Tekonsha is recognized as one of the best aftermarket brake controllers available.

However, it just can't be integrated to work with the truck's systems like the factory integrated TBC is.

The Ford OE ITBC does things an aftermarket controller can't do. I believe that unless you have the factory ITBC you can't get the trailer displays on the instrument cluster.

Here's a picture of one of the items on the hook-up checklist on the left, and the info for a trailer on the right - I believe you can store info for several different trailers. You can see that the mileage you have towed each trailer is displayed, which is good to know for tire and wheel bearing maintenance:

Here's an excerpt from the 2013 Owners Manual that just has a couple of the features the ITBC will do for you that an aftermarket controller can't:

• The trailer brake controller is equipped with a feature that reduces output at vehicle speeds below 11 mph (18 km/h) so trailer and vehicle braking is not jerky or harsh. This feature is only available when applying the brakes using your vehicle’s brake pedal, not the controller.

• The controller interacts with the brake control system and powertrain control system of your vehicle to provide the best performance on different road conditions.

So....as good as the Tekonsha might be, the factory ITBC is an outstanding controller the way it is integrated with the truck.

Just MHO, YMMV!

Bob

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying the integrated trailer brake