Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank God for the rear sliding window! New TT axles inbound...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Exclamation Thank God for the rear sliding window! New TT axles inbound...

The wife and I were heading out for our first camping trip the other weekend. It was a hot day and very windy. I noticed the truck was struggling a little more than normal, and mileage was through the roof. Was still pulling though...

On the highway, windows were cracked and all was good. I opened the rear sliding window, and in came a burning smell! The rear window sucks in air from the back of the truck and around the camper, even on the highway! I couldn't smell anything with the front window cracked open!

Pulled over, and one of my trailer brakes were dragging. It wasn't the breakaway system, or the TBC setting, something broke inside the drum. It wasn't locked completely, but I could feel the heat, and see that the tire was already getting scored and wearing out. Luckily we weren't out of town yet. I let it cool down, got off the highway and took slower roads back home, stopping twice to give it a break and inspect. Tire was already done as far as I was concerned so I wasn't worried about wrecking it more.

She's a 1988 tandem with original axles. The previous owner abused it. The axles were flipped to raise the deck, and they were backwards! So he drove around for who knows how many years with it trying to brake in reverse, which doesn't work very well... Drum and shoes still looked good, but I guess they didn't last... And yes I flipped them back right-way around immediately.

This week it's being taken in to get 2 brand new axles complete with new brakes. I'm getting slight inside tire wear from the axle sagging anyways. I'm pretty excited for it since the rest of it is in pristine shape other than some fading on the outside. Everything inside still works including the air conditioner! Should last another 30 years

I sure am glad that I opened that rear window or I would have kept driving 2.5 more hours like that thinking I was just fighting the strong winds! Ok maybe I would have pulled over to double-check, usually do, but still glad I caught it. I did of course jack each wheel before the first drive to check for loose hubs and make sure they spun freely, and they all did. Must have broke on the highway...

That's my story for today. Make sure to pull over and smell/feel your wheels 10-15 minutes into your first summer trip
The following users liked this post:
Bluewoo (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

Smile

Good info, thanks for sharing. That's why I keep a laser thermometer in my truck.

p.s. pics of the trailer when it's done.

Last edited by msgtord; 06-12-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Bluewoo (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:09 PM
I like to eat.

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

So you weren’t able to go camping. So disappointing.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Blunt

Originally Posted by msgtord
Good info, thanks for sharing. That's why I keep a laser thermometer in my truck.

Might have to get one of those! Yes pics indeed of course

Originally Posted by Bigcat1185
So you weren’t able to go camping. So disappointing.
It was very disappointing... First camping trip of the year! We were so excited.. Just left the grocery store parking lot after buying all the food and beer and then.... Sitting on the side of the highway waiting for the wheel to cool down while my wife's on the phone canceling our reservation
Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 157 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by msgtord

Me too!
Old 06-12-2018, 10:14 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluewoo
Me too!
Ditto
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM
Blunt

Well this is it last year. But I'll grab some pics of the current axle & underside before it gets changed out and then some of the new ones. It does lean forward SLIGHTLY, but the angle of the pic really exaggerates it...

In case you're wondering what the little black box is on the side near the front window, it's a watertight storage container that I've used as a port to the inside wiring. The black wire runs up to a solar panel which you can sort of see just in front of the AC unit. It runs through the watertight box through an existing empty wall plate to a charge controller inside which is wired into the 12v system. I don't have a pic with the cover on...

I have some repainting to do of access panels, already redid the propane tank case, hitch and A-frame last year, and I resealed the entire roof with Eternabond tape and Dicor lap sealant, every seam, around every vent, and also replaced all the roof vents with new ones as well. Still need to repaint the entry door and window frames, and I'm also repainting the front window/rock guard and ordering all new decals for the whole exterior.

The interior is in great shape, no pics on this computer though... We plan to redo all the upholstery, paint, new flooring, and I'm converting the tub to a standup shower (we never use it anyway) so I can move the sink and swap out the tiny RV "potty" for a fullsize RV toilet similar to what you'd have at home.

I'll get more axle pics this week and after the new ones are in.

Last edited by BlackBoost; 06-13-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Blunt

I've had a crazy busy week. Never got a chance to crawl under the trailer to snap pics of the old axles before I dropped it off at the RV shop... Should be getting it back by the end of the week and I'll start a new thread (different subject...)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

I honestly didn't think I'd ever have the need or use for a rear window and never thought of this until now. Glad everyone is okay and I too will be getting a thermal gun myself. Summer barely started so hopefully you'll be able to get back out there soon!
BlackBoost (06-19-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:51 AM
Blunt

Yes it's crazy how the air moves around the truck and behind it! As I said, the front windows were both open, and my sunroof was tilted open as well. Nothing at all but fresh air. And as soon as I opened the rear window, boom, very strong and obvious burning smell. From now on I'll be making sure to either keep it open or at least open it now and then to just check

Yes summer has some way to go, but we've still been missing out on a lot of camping time. Anytime that's not winter in Canada is when you should be out camping! On the bright side, we've missed out on the worst part of the year for bugs and mosquitoes so, silver linings and all

Quick Reply: Thank God for the rear sliding window! New TT axles inbound...