Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBC controller plug and play?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TBC controller plug and play?

I have a 2016 XLT that didn't come with a factory tow package. When I purchased it I had the dealer install a genuine Ford accessories hitch that has the 4 pin and 7 pin plugs. I had a look underneath but can't really see where the wires run to. I'm thinking about adding a trailer brake controller so I've watched a few YouTube videos and read some of the posts here on how to install them. I'm curious if when I pop the dash panels off am I going to find the pigtail end of the TBC wiring clipped to the back of the cubby hole? Or since I didn't have a factory tow package am I gonna dismantle the dash and only find disappointment and aggravation and then have to run the wires all the way back? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rock Lobstar1; 10-09-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Unfortunately I am unable to add anything as to whether you will find the pigtail with your set up. Are you able to look up under the dash towards the back of driver side cubby hole to see if it is there?
However my understanding and experience have been you will need to get your truck 'flashed' to recognize the TBC once you install it. Even the Ford OEM TBC.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 204 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer
Unfortunately I am unable to add anything as to whether you will find the pigtail with your set up. Are you able to look up under the dash towards the back of driver side cubby hole to see if it is there?
However my understanding and experience have been you will need to get your truck 'flashed' to recognize the TBC once you install it. Even the Ford OEM TBC.
Yes, it has to be flashed. It is one of the parameters that can be set with ForScan, see here for details: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/forsc...-truck-348987/. The setting is located in the IPC, see the IPC page in the reference spreadsheet for the appropriate value to enable the TBC. Also, you can specify whether the Trailer Brake Gain setting is enabled.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:23 PM

Question TBC

Rock, I also have the 2016 F150; however, I do have the trailer tow package. I don't have a TBC installed, but I do have the OEM unit. So my question(s), if you find a way to remove the trim piece to install the TBC please PM me with the step by step procedures. I too wonder if the connector will be zip tied to the frame. Once I get it installed, I'll let the Dealer flash the computer to tell the truck that one is installed. If I mess up, my wife will never let me live it down.

Aaron.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:50 PM

I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos on how to install it. Seems like there's 2 ways to get the panels off, from the top down or from the bottom up.
Here's a video of an aftermarket controller install where he dismantles from the bottom up.

http://youtu.be/MAy3K2O5auA

There's lots of other videos as well including oem tbc units.

I believe since you have a factory tow package you will find the pigtail attached to the back of the cubby hole where the controller would be. And I think to mount it you would just pop out that cubby hole and pop in the oem controller. Seems pretty simple and I'll probably go the oem route also. Although that depends on if I find that pigtail there when I'm ready to install it. Otherwise I'll just put it back together and cry myself to sleep in my garage.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What do stealerships charges for flashing?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:48 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

when i do mine i hoping for $50 < 1/2 hour labor charge for 5 mins of work.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Can my local mechanic with his Snap-on computer do the flash or do I have to go to the dealership?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:08 PM

Question TBC

Dido Rock watched the videos -- some good info there. One mentioned be careful of the clips. just how easy is it to break a clip?
Aaron
Old 10-20-2016, 10:50 AM

Talking TBC

Followed the directions in the videos,and installed my OEM TBC today. Took me about one hour to get it all done. Could not get the grill up with a pudgy knife, so I used a flat blade screw driver. After I pried the grill up a little with the puddly knife then I slipped the screw driver in. The clips are in there tight. Grill piece has clips in the center at the bottom and they are troublesome to get realigned. Other than that in was a good DIY. It just needs to get the computer
Re flashed.

Aaron.

Quick Reply: TBC controller plug and play?