Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate Hitting Jack

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tailgate Hitting Jack

I just purchased a 2017 F150 Limited to pull my utility trailer. This is the first truck I have owned so will probably have many stupid questions. I hooked it up to the trailer today but when I went to open the tailgate it hits the jack so I can't open the tailgate all the way and it will certianly damage the tailgate. Is this a common issue and what do you do to resolve it?

Name:  IMG_1485_zpsu1ebhuwx.jpg
Views: 4235
Size:  265.5 KB
Old 02-23-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This might work for you.

http://jack-e-up.com/

I haven't used one yet but may try it out depending on how my new TT interferes with my tailgate. If it does I will buy one and give it a shot.
The following users liked this post:
smd3 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah this is pretty common. I have the same issue with my 2016 and TT. I've seen where some people have been able to rotate the jack stand motor to give them clearance. Me personally am going to a Propride hitch which will allow me to open the tailgate which is definitely a added benefit.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:34 PM

I use the trailer for work so it will be attached most of the time and it would be nice to be able to access the tailgate. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
I use the trailer for work so it will be attached most of the time and it would be nice to be able to access the tailgate. Thanks for the suggestions.
I am like you about the tailgate issue . This is what I have done many times,
Move the jack back until the gate will clear , this might require you going to a welding shop but it is not a big expense or you could get a bolt on swing up jack
And mount it to the A frame part of the tounge. You could do this at home
Than either unbolt the original one or cut it off . Hope this helps
Old 02-24-2017, 06:02 AM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Hard to tell from your pic, but it looks like the jack is integrated into the A frame.

I'd suggest finding a welding shop and either cut the jack out and have them lower it at it's mounting point or mount it further back.

Or cut it off and mount a different one further back on the frame rail.

There's really not much other choices available to you if the jack is part of the front a frame...
Old 02-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

I had that problem with my Reese Strait-Line WD hitch on my F-150. My local welding shop cut off the jack brace from the trailer and welded a new one farther back on the tongue. Problem solved. But then I upgraded to a ProPrde hitch which has a much longer shank and ball mount, and the jack was now in the wrong place to install the ProPride. So I had to move the jack back to the original location.

So lots of ways to getter done. The ProPride hitch is the ultimate fix but expensive at over $2,000. Moving the jack back a few inches is an inexpensive fix if you can locate a good welding shop. My local farmer's welding/fabrication shop charged me only a few bucks for that 5-minute job. And that Jack-e-up gismo sounds like a good fix.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

I ended up taking a rubber boot and putting it over the crank on the trailer.

Granted, it doesn't allow the tailgate to go all the way down, but I can get into the bed of the truck now.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:44 AM

I know a decent welding shop. I like the idea of either lowering it or moving it back a bit. It's hard to believe that trailer companies haven't thought through things like tailgates vs. jacks.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
I know a decent welding shop. I like the idea of either lowering it or moving it back a bit. It's hard to believe that trailer companies haven't thought through things like tailgates vs. jacks.
I didn't have this issue when I had a GMC. It has to be the taller beds of the Fords that make it an issue.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Hitting Jack