Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Sway or not to Sway....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Window Licker

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default To Sway or not to Sway....

I need and humbely request guidance once again.. I tried searchin sway bars but not much came up.. I dont have much luck findin what I need that way.. anyhow to ask my question and end my dribble. I have a kinda heavy bass boat and she pushes me around a lil sometimes on curvy country roads like headed to Lake Fork.. now its not bad but i dont like even the lil bit part.. so...... do I need a heavier sway bar or am I missing/needin to do somethin else?.. tyia.
Ive got a 13' f150 5.0 lots and lots of extras.. but new pro comp shocks w/resv in the rear. level kit with 33s. New diff cover and pushin amsoil thruout for fluids.. I dont know what else to list.. my profile has all mods listed I believe.. Ive seen these fancy hammered tone looking heavy bars and I just dunno if thats whats needed.. Im pulling a loaded 21' Ranger bass boat with a 250 Yami and she aint light.. She is like a corn fed gal from the heartland, purty but heavy.. lol
Old 06-03-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Aren't most bass boats and trailers in the 3000-4000lb range? What kind of weight are we talking about? What is your tongue weight?

What Nitto's are you running? Some of their Ridge series are load range C, a bit light for heavy towing.

The only sway bar I've seen for the F150 is Hellwig. It will help keep the trailer under control, but if your tires are wallowing, you need to address that first, as nothing you can do with the suspension will fix tires with soft sidewalls.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:16 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Check out Roadmaster Active Suspension, they may be what you are looking for. Sounds like the level may be disrupting the suspension when under a tow load since you eliminated the much needed sag that Ford has built in with the rake. From what I read, these will come into play when a load is present, and otherwise are passive when empty, yet help with cornering at the same time.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Window Licker

Originally Posted by Flamingtaco
Aren't most bass boats and trailers in the 3000-4000lb range? What kind of weight are we talking about? What is your tongue weight?

What Nitto's are you running? Some of their Ridge series are load range C, a bit light for heavy towing.

The only sway bar I've seen for the F150 is Hellwig. It will help keep the trailer under control, but if your tires are wallowing, you need to address that first, as nothing you can do with the suspension will fix tires with soft sidewalls.
Ty.. yes I chgd the tires out and what a mistake Ive made cuz they make my old trail grapplers look good. These new tires are squeshy, I bought knock offs and theyre a disappointment to say the least. All cuz of them bein soft in the sidewalls, other than that theyre a great tire, from what I can tell.. I wont do that again.. Ill damn sure buy name brand next time.. what it boild down to is 1100 vs 1650, I saw the savings and got hooked the wrong direction.. oh well lesson learned.. i will be buyin a hellwig bar tho, once I get decent tires back on her.. hellwig is a nice upgrade and since Ive got a ton of upgrades in her already, that big sway bar will fit right in..
Old 06-03-2019, 07:49 PM
Window Licker

Default Dunno crap about the rake or what it does..

Originally Posted by acdii
Check out Roadmaster Active Suspension, they may be what you are looking for. Sounds like the level may be disrupting the suspension when under a tow load since you eliminated the much needed sag that Ford has built in with the rake. From what I read, these will come into play when a load is present, and otherwise are passive when empty, yet help with cornering at the same time.
The only sway bar I've seen for the F150 is Hellwig. It will help keep the trailer under control, but if your tires are wallowing, you need to address that first, as nothing you can do with the suspension will fix tires with soft sidewalls.[/QUOTE]

Ty.. yes I chgd the tires out and what a mistake Ive made cuz they make my old trail grapplers look good. These new tires are squeshy, I bought knock offs and theyre a disappointment to say the least. All cuz of them bein soft in the sidewalls, other than that theyre a great tire, from what I can tell.. I wont do that again.. Ill damn sure buy name brand next time.. what it boild down to is 1100 vs 1650, I saw the savings and got hooked the wrong direction.. oh well lesson learned.. i will be buyin a hellwig bar tho, once I get decent tires back on her.. hellwig is a nice upgrade and since Ive got a ton of upgrades in her already, that big sway bar will fit right in..

Quick Reply: To Sway or not to Sway....