Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springs or Airbags Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs or Airbags Needed?

Hello..

I just replaced my 2006 Supercrew Lariat with a 2015 Supercrew XLT FX4. Both have tow packages. Measuring from the ground to the hitch receiver the new 2015 is 3/4 of on inch higher then the old 2006. However when I hook up my camper the new 2015 drops down an inch or more then my old 2006.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cheapest and easiest way to stop this. The truck tows fine, and I have my equalizer hitch setup to compensate, but I do not like how low the hitch is and the tongue jack. They dig into the ground trying to get in and out of my yard do to the angle.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I love my Sumo Springs! A great helper setup both in towing and when not towing. Cuts the roll by 70% +/- towing/not towing and sag by half when trailer hitched. 25 minute change over too.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

The simplest fix for the sagging rear end is air bags. The Firestone RideRite air bags (air helper springs) are the most popular. The air bags will NOT increase your payload capacity, but they can eliminate the rear end sag.

http://riderite.com/Ride-Rite%20Product%20Detail

Three options for installation:

1] Standard with a shrader valve for each side of the truck.

2] Tie the two sides together with one shrader valve to control both bags. Not recommended by Firestone, but many do it anyway for convenience.

3] On-board air compressor plumbed in to control PSI in both air bags from the dash.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Brown coat independent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Simnut
I love my Sumo Springs! A great helper setup both in towing and when not towing. Cuts the roll by 70% +/- towing/not towing and sag by half when trailer hitched. 25 minute change over too.
How is the un/loaded ride on those? I was looking at the Timbren setup because the last set of Firestone airbags I had one of them had a slow leak and not having to check the PSI of one more thing would be awesome. And I like the fact that it is a progressive spring versus a rubber bump stop.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by vanion2
How is the un/loaded ride on those? I was looking at the Timbren setup because the last set of Firestone airbags I had one of them had a slow leak and not having to check the PSI of one more thing would be awesome. And I like the fact that it is a progressive spring versus a rubber bump stop.
Awesome ride! My truck roll is way down in corners , truck handles more car like. I'm going to get the Sumo Coil springs for the front once I can catch my wife in a good mood!

Remember, these were developed for the Border Patrol trucks and some military applications. Not just a good idea by some inventor
The following users liked this post:
vanion2 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I have them too, but the 1500 pound ones. They do improve the ride and load handling, but mine do have a little spring to them when I come to a stop. The tail will bounce a bit.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

For a heavier load I would suggest timbrens over sumo springs. They are heavier duty and former. From the same company as sumo springs, I would recommend Supersprings. I have experience with both timbrens and Supersprings and both are perfect for heavier payloads.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

If you dial in your WDH and have the trailer towing level, it shouldn't drag on the ground if it didn't with the 2006. If the trailer was level with the 2006 and you set up the hitch so it's level with the new truck, the jack should have the same ground clearance, no? I wouldn't too caught up on squat as a number, different trucks, different suspension, just make sure you adjust your WDH accordingly. Sounds like you may need to dial in the WDH for the new truck a little better. I'd start with that and then start looking at other options if you still have an issue. Just my $0.02
The following users liked this post:
etrailerTeam (09-15-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Brown coat independent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pugga
If you dial in your WDH and have the trailer towing level, it shouldn't drag on the ground if it didn't with the 2006. If the trailer was level with the 2006 and you set up the hitch so it's level with the new truck, the jack should have the same ground clearance, no? I wouldn't too caught up on squat as a number, different trucks, different suspension, just make sure you adjust your WDH accordingly. Sounds like you may need to dial in the WDH for the new truck a little better. I'd start with that and then start looking at other options if you still have an issue. Just my $0.02
I agree with you there 100% as that is my plan but I can assure you the receiver on the F150 is higher than the 06 4Runner was. That and I am now working with leaf springs versus the 4Runner's coil springs. I am just exploring options should the need arise as I like to tow safely and comfortably.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:36 PM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,583 Likes on 972 Posts

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cheapest and easiest way to stop this.
I have a suggestion for what it is you need, but it's not the cheapest.

Roadmaster Active Suspension. If you're as smart as I think you are, you'll give that system serious consideration. And I understand that if you call them and speak with Nolan then mention you're a member of F150forum dot com you'll get a serious price break. Good luck.